Any Reason to Keep Empty Prescription Bottles, Boxes, Old Shoes/Sneakers Around?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, May 28, 2017.

1. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Good point!

2. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Thanks Something for me to act on! To give myself some credit, I do have several bags already packed but I should pack a few more as well!

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Pill bottles are handy for a weather resistant container of matches and striker. No matter where one goes fire will be needed.

Bacawind, ED GEiN, chelloveck and 3 others like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Tully Mars, chelloveck and Yard Dart like this.
  5. Bacawind

Bacawind Monkey+

I love "Johnny, what can you make of this?" brainstorming!

Trying not to duplicate, here's what I've got.

We live small but I buy things according to value, so I often have a big container for a small space. For me, I'd keep pill bottles for baking soda, baking powder, seasonings, spices, etc., for handy daily use, and the big container in storage.

When I get a big container I put a week or so worth in long storage to see how it holds up, and it gives me a backup when I run out.

I'd see how waterproof/airtight it is, if I can freeze it, and if I have a lot, maybe when it melts. Then I can further decide how I want to use it. Maybe ice packs for a small ice chest or a water bottle.

If they have child safe lids and you don't need it there are some hacks online for bypassing it.

Pants become shorts, pant legs become door snakes or neck pillows, maybe a cowl. I always need a dish towel. Shirts become tanks, and so on.

I keep rags by categories. Soft, clean material is a handkerchief, if it's large and absorbent a cravat. Then on down the list till it has to be burned.

Shoes are the hardest for me. I just don't use them often. I guess it depends on why you don't want them. If they are too worn for second hand, I'd say like @duane and wear them for some job headed to trash. If they are too big, wear extra socks. If they are too small...sandles?

I think you have a decoy box. Pill bottles, shoes and clothing indicates a human presence. Like the sound of a racking shotgun type thing, or lights on a timer. In a situation, one may, or may not, want a location to appear occupied.

I think you're pretty cool for asking others thoughts. Too often I've assumed I already had the answer, and later found I didn't know all.

ED GEiN, oldawg, duane and 1 other person like this.
  6. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Pill bottles also make great battery storage, for a get-home or bug-out bag. Think I was able to cram about 6 AAA batteries in one of my old blood pressure pill bottles, which keeps them dry, easy to find a place to put them in the bag, and prevents them from getting lost very easily (bright orange pill bottle used).

I typically keep some cardboard boxes around, for shipping stuff. This year, they've been handy for where the planter boxes were going over the old lawn, to kill off the grass (and block it from coming thru, into the veggie boxes). But in an apartment? Nope, I wouldn't bother holding onto empty boxes.

Hopefully, you can at least recycle the cardboard and plastic?

Bacawind, ED GEiN and chelloveck like this.
  7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

It's been a really long time since I thought about what apartment living was like, but I can relate to the necessities of living in small spaces.

Full disclosure: I'm an organized hoarder, I keep anything that I see as raw material for other projects or of any future value.

I have some thoughts on how to keep useful stuff, in minimal space. If you have a basement or remote storage cage, this stuff would probably be safe there, since it appears to have no value to a thief.

Cardboard boxes can be broken down and stored with a roll of packing tape for reassembly (or get "bankers boxes" that can just be folded into shape.) Remember that cardboard and moisture are a combination that will attract roaches, so store boxes on the top of the heap. Pill bottles, once the labels are removed are really handy. I try to save bottles that will nest, and store bottle, in bottle. Old clothes that are going to just be stashed away can be sorted into complete seasonal outfits and stuffed down one pant leg of a pair of trousers. I tuck the other leg in and just stack them in a corner for easy grab and go. (this is how my work clothes get to the cleaners.) Old broken-in shoes are going to be a real treasure when there is no store open or no shoes your size.

8. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Interesting point on batteries for me to consider. I usually keep several dealed packs of batteries but for loose ones keeping a few pill bottles for AAA batteries seems like a good idea. Thanks

9. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Can I bug out with you when TEOTWAWKI happens? I like how you test things out for yourself!

Bacawind likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7