Any scouts, former scouts, or scout masters?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by fortunateson, Jul 23, 2010.

1. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

My son wants to join and I think it's a GREAT idea.
    Tons of survival and life skills taught at an early age.

Opinions pro and con?

2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I was a cub/boy scout, my dad was one of my scout masters. I loved it, learned many things. When my son gets old enough I'm going to have him join. (and I'll prolly put my daughter in girl scouts pretty soon, which means I'll be up to my neck in cookies LOL)

3. pcc

pcc Monkey+

So far my 10 yo is really enjoying it but we're on our second group. If there are multiple groups in your area go visit them before deciding which one to join.

The first group we joined was very disappointing, after the second meeting my son said dad do we have to come back we do more fun stuff at the house than they do. We went back one more time and it was the same boring stuff.

I started talking to some of the other scoutmasters in the area and got in with a great group. These guys keep the kids engaged while instructing them, that's hard to do with a bunch of 10 yo's running around.

4. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Go for it! Attend meetings with him. Go on the outings with him. It's a great father/son experience. Get to know the adult leadership. Have lots of fun and you might learn a few things you don't know!

Byte

5. groovy mike

groovy mike Immortal

My son and I just did 7 years of scouting, it was new to both of us. Its a great experience and makes an appointment to spend time together each week. Just be sure that you BOTH get involved!

6. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I think it largely depends on the troop and the level of involvement the parent has.

If you make it more than a "once a week" deal and build it up a bit, he will enjoy it more. I would choose a troop wisely based upon the sort of things they do. Some do nearly nothing. Others travel the world. I am sure you have the time for somewhere in between. Prepare with him for trips. Help him all week with any projects. I guess in a nutshell, make it more of a lifestyle.

And don't forget.... enjoy it while you can.

7. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

I was a Scoutmaster with Troop 109 in Southeast Texas.
    It was work, but we made it fun too. We made sure that the parents knew that we expected them to become involved-that the Boy Scouts was not just a place where you could drop off the kids and have a free child care service provided.
    We taught wilderness survival and personal fitness, most of the guys I worked with made it to Eagle Scout, they earned the hiking merit badge, did 50 mile canoe trips, learned first aid and rifle shooting and a host of other things along the way.
    Go for it, you will both enjoy it!
    A suggestion...Don't just get to know the leaders, BECOME ONE OF THE LEADERS.

8. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

Would love to. I'm dealing with some health issues that must get worked out before even attempting a 50 mile canoe trip, but that aside, I'm hungry for it.

Most of the leaders in the troop we looked at were former eagle scouts. Do I need to meet any minimum requirements?

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Willingness and enthusiasm. There are plenty of things you can do with and for the troop without "climbing the face of Mt. Rushmore." If the staff is mostly made of Eagle Scouts, they will give you all the guidance you need. Other things would be getting to work with the local Council in planning and multi troop coordination.

I heard a few years ago that there will be some kind of background check, but dunno if that's been implemented.

10. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I started in Indian Guides, went to Webelos, Cub scouts and then one year of Boy Scouts. At that point I was too busy on the farm and other things to put the dedication needed. My Dad and I made a list of things I had to do vs. things I wanted to do and I went another path.

I would recommend it to for any boy.

11. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I also did webelos and then cub scouts, and loved it...My older sister was a scout master for some 15 years!

12. foust1012

foust1012 Monkey+

I am an Eagle Scout and I really enjoyed my time as a scout. Leaders are everything! I had good ones and bad ones. The good ones made it something I always looked forward to. The bad ones made me look for excuses no to go. Get to know the leaders for sure. It is important that they are passionate about what they are doing and they are good with kids. Also, make sure that he goes to a troop that he has friends in or where he can make friends easily. He will love it if he gets in with the right troop.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7