Anybody here use goodwill to get preps?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Modus Operandi, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Shopgoodwill.com is the link. You type in what you want to look for, and then browse through there. I have found cast iron cookware, lamps and lanterns, tents, sleeping bags, blankets, field gear, boots, etc at reasonable prices. And is made in the USA instead of China crap. Try it instead of driving down.

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Seems like they have some nice stuff. But Alaska + UPS shipping = too much $$$$

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

Found a Big Berkley water purifier for $7.00, and a manual grain grinder for $1.75 (marked $3.50, found it on a day where everything was 50% off)

Navyair, Ganado, Zimmy and 1 other person like this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I have found a number of useful prepping items at op shops and thrift stores. Including canning gear and dehydrators, cookwear, hand mills, meat mincers, and sundry hand tools. Books on DIY carpentry and building, home repair, gardening, small area farming, self sufficiency, health and medical matters are regularly to be found.

I tend to leave the spiritual / religious book section unvisited, though I am sometimes sorely tempted to relocate some of those books to fiction literature section.

Good sturdy clothing can be had as well as camping gear (of variable quality).

Gray Wolf and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Hit or miss in WI as well. Once Goodwill started building brand new stand alone stores, they started jacking up the prices. Better to look at Salvation Army or St. Vincent's, esp on days when they have discounts. Our St. Vinny's offers a senior discount on Tuesday, plus sometimes a discount if you're on their buy's club list.

If you have a friend who is in the military or retired military living near a base, they have thrift shops on base that you can pick up used uniform items like Goretex and big jackets.

Don't forget Army/Navy stores. Sometimes you can get some real finds in there as well.

SB21, Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7