Anyone know anything about CERT?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Oct 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Community Emergency Response Teams | FEMA.gov

2. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

I don't know anything yet, but will in January as I'm signed up for the class!

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The link posted in the original post is still valid and works. I am CERT certified and I know a few other monkeys are also. I really enjoyed the classes. CERT has a training manual that one gets to take home, it is a great resource. I knew much of the information but it is good to revisit plus I learned to work as a group. I think that was the most vital thing. Learning team work and chain of command was really difficult for me. It is a government run program so like .gov and military, chain of command is huge. Being a prepper, one tends to be the boss but in CERT, you become a team player. My CERT group is very hands on and does simulated training with human victims playing roles. When you blanket carry, you are carrying a real human that is screaming.

CERT is like Citizen Corp. CERT which stands for citizens emergency response team is just that. It is a group that the local police or officials can call up to help with disasters. One learns how to triage injuries, the color coding and how to transport the injured. CERT students are taught how to search homes/areas for victims and dangers. We learned how to communicate/ mark a building that has been searched, using the way FEMA marked buildings after Hurricane Katrina.

I would recommend a CERT course to people. One always learns something, rather a skill or about themselves, this is good free training. There is also Citizens Corp but those classes are always full.

4. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Took CERT several years ago, got a cool backpack with some gear and a lot of useful knowledge. Sadly, I was in the last class in our county as they no longer will use CERT teams due to liability. If the training is available, get it! Well worth the hours.

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The local PD scoffs and says they will never need us and hopefully they never do but we are ready. As a citizen with my training I can help easier then a CERT team. CERT has to wait to be asked.

6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Has anyone taken the CERT medical courses and if so how good did you think they were?

7. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

CERT med course is the basic and intermediate Red Cross course, and like all courses the gain depends a lot on the presenter.

3M-TA3 and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  1. Garand69
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Motomom34
  4. Matei
  5. Matei
  6. Benjamin A. Wood
  7. Benjamin A. Wood
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Zimmy
  10. Yard Dart
  11. tacmotusn
  12. chelloveck
  13. Motomom34
  14. Gopherman
  15. Yard Dart
  16. Ganado
    [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Ganado, Apr 25, 2016, 1 replies, in forum: General Survival and Preparedness
  17. Motomom34
  18. Motomom34
  19. Yard Dart
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7