Archery n Survival- Archery anyone?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by OldDude49, Nov 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Expensive n fancy one fer yas... and seems to use the actual center of the bow?

The Prime One STXv2 Series Takes Aim At Destroying The Competition

n I guess sorta bare bones... n fold able... with ummm 2 part arrows?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JZBB1PW/?tag=survivalmonke-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JZHD12C/?tag=survivalmonke-20

oops almost forgot these 2...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVFIGL2/?tag=survivalmonke-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O98OJI/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Dunerunner and Sgt Nambu like this.
  2. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Sorry Dude! I'm a Mathews guy! :)

Ura-Ki likes this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I have a 40# locally hand built long bow. It will have to suffice....

I do need to learn to make my own arrows. Woot! A new hobby!!

Sgt Nambu, Ura-Ki and Oltymer like this.
  4. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

Tillering an apple wood flat bow right now and have a 60 year old Ben Pearson take down 55# fiberglass bow fed with DIY arrows that handle my woods running chores very well.

I've made a lot of bows and can't keep them as people shove good money in my face and I have to turn them loose.

5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I have always wanted to take Bow shooting up as a hobby. I love any kind of hand-eye sports: darts, tennis, Ping-Pong, shooting...
    Are any of these good starter bows?

Sgt Nambu and chelloveck like this.
  6. Olympic mountain man

Olympic mountain man just a lonely cook

been shooting archery for a long time it is a great skill and building your own equipment is satisfying

Sgt Nambu, Dunerunner and chelloveck like this.
  7. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Naturally, I dig archery. Hoping to start carrying wood bows in the shop soon. Little known perk, a lot of states will let you hunt most or all of the game animals in the state with a bow. NAturally, you have to be good at it to hit anything, but if you really watch a one weapon option for hunting season, it's fair game a lot of places. Cheaper than a gun too.

Oltymer likes this.
  8. Dunerunner

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    chelloveck, Sgt Nambu and Oltymer like this.
  9. duane

duane Monkey+++

The classic bow is still one of the greatest weapons ever made, but you have to practice, develop muscles , muscle memory, learn to compensate for its weaknesses, etc. Like gardening, it is a skill you have to develop before you need to depend on it and have it at hand before the collapse. The simpler you make it to use, modern bows with pulleys, modern arrows and sights, cross bows etc, the harder it will be to have them available after TSTF and it would be difficult to manufacture them.

10. Dunerunner

Hunger will make you a good archer real fast, either that or you die hungry...

I guess you could set a dead fall or snare.

Thunder5Ranch likes this.
  11. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Will stick with my Martian Rageous, Sorry, but nice to see the thinking here!

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  13. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Look at a Mission Craze by Mathews, short, handy, inexpensive and powerful! Limbs adjust from 30# to 70#, IIRC.
    I'm self taught, 50yrs ago, on a Bear 55# recurve. I actually taught a bunch of college co-eds archery for they're phys-ed credits! That was an awful experience! :rolleyes:

Oh, BTW, I do like the compound bows, for the sharp acceleration of the arrow and the 35% let off at full draw. I would have had to give up years ago due to a sholder injury without the compounds.

Dunerunner, Ura-Ki and Ganado like this.
  14. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

True, duane, but the shooting skills are certainly transferable! Making bows/arrows is relatively easy, yes I've built them, if blue helmets are in my AO, I want that razor head to be sticking out the other side ten inches.
    Just joking! I'd never go against a UN mandate!

Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  15. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Quiet, Easy to make, and Efficient use of resources. You would be a fool to not have basic bow building and archery skills. If nothing else to conserve hard to replace ammo.

Dunerunner, Ura-Ki and Sgt Nambu like this.
  16. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Ura-Ki likes this.
  17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

So many tricks from around the world a person can adopt for there own shooting style! I am an old Finger shooter, so finding unique ways to do this with out tearing the tips of my fingers off or twisting the string has bee challenging! I really got hooked on Compound Bow's back when the Cam tech had really advanced ( but pre Single cam) and really like having adjustable over draw which allows my Martain to go from 70 pounds to a full 90!!!

Sgt Nambu and Dunerunner like this.
  18. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

IMG_0026.JPG Well OldDude, your thread worked too well! Now I kinda want a recurve, take down bow! I'll have to test my way because of the messed up sholder.
    That's besides a fun and informative thread! :)

Ura-Ki likes this.
  19. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Hey Sgt Nambu I don't know who makes/sells the Kits, but there is a few out there that have some VERY nice Bow kits for sale, and some are folding/takedown! Not sure how it works, but if I run into them, I will post them up! Always wanted a really nice recurve, just never found one I likes at a good price!

20. Dunerunner

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  1. Bishop
  2. Bishop
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Bishop
  7. Bishop
  8. Bishop
    [img] [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, May 7, 2017, 1 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  9. Bishop
  10. Bishop
  11. Homunculi
  12. MountainMariner
  13. Witch Doctor 01
    Bow building links enjoy
    Thread by: Witch Doctor 01, Feb 15, 2016, 2 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  14. hollisticprepper
  15. Tyler Danann
  16. chelloveck
    [MEDIA]
    Thread by: chelloveck, Jan 27, 2015, 20 replies, in forum: Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing
  17. Brokor
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7