Archery n Survival- Archery anyone?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by OldDude49, Nov 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

with injuries n such some times ya got to reverse how you use a bow... can't pull with right arm due to shoulder injury... maybe hold back and push with left or totally switch hands/arms and shoot left handed but from same side of bow?

lot of ways to maybe make it work... one thing I always found with archery or shooting... is the focus n concentration to do everything the same each time... can actually be therapeutic...and relaxing...

2. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Thank you for the tip! Unfortunately, I have sholder and hand/wrist issues that are bad for woodworking and such! Cool site though, again, thanks!

3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Sounds like you are limited to a semi-auto magazine fed shoulder fired projectile spitter....

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  4. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Not completely, I can shoot the compound some. It's set at 37#.

Dunerunner likes this.
  5. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Well, thanks man! But I'm going to investigate how much I can draw before a purchase. I have a long term relationship with one of the largest bow shop/tuning and repair/ranges I trust these guys to get me the best deal and make sure I get exactly what I need.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

For wrist issues,
    Do not grip the bow while drawing and release.
    Use a strap that tethers you to the bow and the load of the bow is in the crotch of the hand between the thumb and first finger extending the hand forward . the first finger only slightly wrapped around the front of the bow to catch it after the release.
    Also I use mechanical release, because It gives me the liberty to hold longer, and take my time, and it is far more accurate release.
    Because I have very long arms I need to use the longest arrow I can find and use an over draw as well.
    I have several different style bows , each have their own personality ,but generally I hold them all the same.
    This method will also allow thou to use an ACE bandage on you wrist or carpal tunnel brace , but in reality you really should do something to strengthen your wrists for a lot of other reasons as well.
    Even a child's bow can provide the muscle memory archery requires .
    Conditions can change a bow depending on construction. so accuracy is always going to be a challenge in the real world.
    If you have to improvise something , having the disciplines down puts one way ahead of the curve.

7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If I were a bow maker ,I would design a bow grip much like a target rifle, with a first finger and thumb holes, for an open hand rest.

8. TinyWildThing

TinyWildThing Monkey

Hoyt defiant shooter here. but I am thinking about learning how to build my own bow and arrow, as you probably wont find much carbon sticks lying around in the wilderness.
    I also have a basic recurve (the one with the easily exchanged limbs) but I kind of dont get on a good base with that one. I just dont feel it.

1. Bishop
  2. Bishop
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Bishop
  7. Bishop
  8. Bishop
    [img] [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, May 7, 2017, 1 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  9. Bishop
  10. Bishop
  11. Homunculi
  12. MountainMariner
  13. Witch Doctor 01
    Bow building links enjoy
    Thread by: Witch Doctor 01, Feb 15, 2016, 2 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  14. hollisticprepper
  15. Tyler Danann
  16. chelloveck
    [MEDIA]
    Thread by: chelloveck, Jan 27, 2015, 20 replies, in forum: Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing
  17. Brokor
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7