Are you dressed for success?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Sapper John, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Well, in my case, my group has several Conex boxes pre-positioned at our BoL, that store the items we have. In fact we are getting a new one this week, and we go through them at regular intervals and add, inventory, or rearrange as needed. In addition to that, the barn (a steel barn building) is used for the storage of tooling, equipment, etc, on shelving units (bought from store closings, on the major cheap). I hauled nearly a ton (no joke, nearly 2500 pounds) of food in the past 3 trips to the BoL (my last trip on Saturday I hauled almost 1000 pounds of bulk beans, rice, oats, wheat, honey, coconut oil) not inclusive of the other, non-food items (we also hauled about 5 boxes of medical supplies, and sundry toiletries). We keep about a month's worth of food etc. at out house, that can easily be loaded into our vehicles and transported with us when we bug out.

Plans are being made to transport the livestock soon, as we think the S will HTF sooner than later.

We also use filing cabinets (all metal) to store electronics, nested in cardboard, ammo boxes full of stuff, etc. Very vermin proof storage for cheap, when you buy at second hand stores, used office furniture stores, and garage sales. Shelving is always on the top of an aquisition list when trolling garage sales, just not "el cheapo" particle board stuff, metal or heavy gauge plastic only.

What works for us may not work for others. YMMV.

weegrannymush and Sapper John like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Well, granny, there's just me in a house sized for four. Can't leave it MT to rattle around in, now can I?

3. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

I consider clothing a tangible. If things go south I believe textiles will either be hard to come by, or most will unable to afford them.

If it's serviceable we save it. If we can afford it, we get 2. If it comes to it, I would rather be trading clothing, than ammo.

4. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Hispeedal2, shoe goo is great stuff, but don't open it until you need to. If you let it sit (lid tightly closed) for more than a few months, it starts to solidify in the tube. I haven't had any luck with old tubes of shoe goo, and one time it wasn't even opened.

Use it or lose it!

Capt. Tyree, Sapper John and Falcon15 like this.
  5. Falcon15

On that note, superglue is the same. After a few years, even unopened tubes harden to uselessness. Just sayin', YMMV.

Sapper John likes this.
  6. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I don't know about you but I do not feel comfortable telling complete strangers on the Internet, what I do or do not have. Being this is the Internet, for all you know you may have just as much as the next person.

ETA: It would not surprise me if you had more than myself. The last 3 yrs. have been the leanest I've seen my whole working career, if it was not for what I had saved up I would have gone hungry and be homeless.

7. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

So sorry to hear that you have been having such troubles, Colt. Life can be very hard as I have discovered for myself many times during the years. If there could possibly be a plus side to your situation it would be that at least you have experienced how to endure and make things last and in the final analysis, SURVIVE. And survive on very little. Imagine the situation of all the fat cats and carelessly wasteful and totally unprepared folks out there who will get the shock of their lives when (not if) the SHTF. It's the thought of the kids and pets of the unprepared that bothers me the most.

Thanks for the heads up on discretion and OPSEC. However, I have never actually gone into the specifics of what I have - because I have so little - but I see most of the folks have made quite a lot of mention of their situation. By the very fact that we are members of this site we are not exactly being under a camouflage net! Perhaps it should have been a "locked" site with no access to anyone without a background check (I belonged to a couple of those in the early days of computer groups but I don't know if it's possible to do that any more.) Actually, come to think of it, I do belong to one - it's a gardening site - and because I am not a "full" member, I do not have access to a lot of their forums and other info, so it is still possible.

Colt, I do hope things pick up for you very soon....I will keep you in my prayers if that is OK with you and hold you in my thoughts. Keep up your spirits...nil desperandum!!!! You must be made of good stuff to have made it so far with all these strikes against you!

8. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Big DEEP Closets & Pantries. Since the house been remodeled/repaired a few times in last 20 years, sum rather huge closets were added. Heh take the shelves out of the closet that was made in bathroom, & you could prolly fit 5-6 normal sized people in there. Top shelf holds LOTS of TP!! :D

weegrannymush likes this.
  9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I can thoroughly recommend the kilt as survival garb.

As any braw Scots laddie will attest, the kilt is unparalleled apparel for the purposes of urination and copulation. It gives excellent freedom of action and is not constricting. All true Scots laddies, who foreswear and forego the wearing of underwear and the miss-termed "jockstrap", find that the well ventilated freedom to swing is such that their scrotal contents, kept to such an agreeble temperature, means that their fecundity is second to none!!! (Certainly much superior to that of trews wearers)

Having said that...the canny laddie will keep a wee packet of condoms in his sporran...in the case that his superior fertility is unwanted! : O

I speak from experience! ; )

(I have worn the Black Watch tartan in a Reserve infantry battalion - I should also add that my interests were with the lasses, my fellow kilt wearers could find their own love interests, lol)

jelen and weegrannymush like this.
  10. Falcon15

Good point, however...in order for any information on "what" I have to be of any use to anyone, they must know "where" I have it. It is not discussed nor is my name attached to the BoL in any way. There are literally half a dozen routes laid out for travel to the BoL and all of them have a high level of redundancy. With cached items along the routes, as well as multiple sets of eyes on the vehicular traffic en route, our tactical leaders are fairly certain we can arrive without being followed too closely.

I am sure, with enough due diligence, I could moderate expounding on the what. There are layers to any OPSEC. I have maintained my overall Operational Security. I have divulged nothing of any use to anyone, except perhaps information on what I and my group consider important to prep. It helps people who are newer to prepping to see priorities, learn some new things, and perhaps think outside of the 3 B's (Beans, bullets, band-aids).

Anyhow, YMMV.

11. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

Ah, Chello, you are tugging at my heartstrings! The kilt, the kilt, the glory of the kilt......but it has one (well, more than one actually!) big drawback though, it is hell to wear at minus 20 C.!!!! I had a photo, now lost, of my (Canadian) husband wearing a kilt, dead of winter, outside...hahaha! I remember his reaction to the cold (yes, THAT reaction!) I guess Scots in Scotland are tougher though....we've had to be in that climate, gey dreich, ye ken.

Regarding your other comments, well, the sporran wasn't invented for carrying sandwiches, nor money either since most Scots didn't have any. Used to be just a place to keep your hankie (although I suspect most Scotsmen didn't have those either!) So long as it serves a useful purpose.....

I used to be a Scottish Country Dancer (half an eon ago, in Scotland) and I have happy memories of those kilts, wink, wink! And congratulations on being in the Black Watch, hope it was a happy experience for you. One of my uncles emigrated to NZ and started a city pipe band there which still exists I believe......not many places you can go on this planet where a kilt has not been before you!

12. ColtCarbine

My posting had everything to do with trying to make those who may not be as fortunate as others, to not feel inadequate or inferior to those who may have been blessed with more resources/finances than others.

In people's darkest hour, most probably do not want to here about how much somebody else has, if that makes any sense.

weegrannymush and Falcon15 like this.
  13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I very much agree with CC, on this point. Momma and I have been Prep'en from the time we met, and we both come from a LONG Line of Prep'en Families, back many Generations. We live in about the BEST, and Ideal, Prep'er Lifestyle, and it has taken us Decades to get to this place, in life. So, we work on informing others, on how, and why we do, and did, make the choices to get to this place. This is how we choose to give back, to those that are not as far along as we are. All the money in the world, can't replace the years of living a Prep'er Lifestyle. A persons Knowledge Base, is the BEST Prep, one can have.... ..... YMMV...

14. ColtCarbine

Thank you for the support. I have been biting my tongue for quite sometime concerning this and could no longer keep my big fat mouth shut.

Sapper John likes this.
  15. STANGF150

Theres not any squirrels in Scotland are there? Here in America there are =X

chelloveck likes this.
  16. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

HA, my disco clothes beat your ATOM ANT....Maybe wanna trade/SWAP
    OK, figgure ya got four bolts of clothe, ya got the knowledge to make clothes with em? I gotta treadel machine how long til it wears out><
    Needles, thread, bobbins.
    How long of a term are YOU looking at before resupply?
    Spend a week or two in buckskins, you will wish for some 'BAN" really quick......

17. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

With trusty claymore in one hand 'n me rusty dirk in'tother

With me trusty claymore in one hand, 'n me rusty dirk in 'tother, nay squirrel w'll hae me nuts f'free, but squirrel f'r dinner'd be mighty grand by me!

18. STANGF150

Just be wary of Chipmunks!!! You can not believe the speed of those lil boogers!!!

19. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

Well, Stang, I cant say for sure but I think there are still squirrels in Scotland. The PTB have campaigns every now and then to eradicate the poor wee things (because it is an island and there is no room for populations of ANYTHING to expand into, lol) - last I heard they were trying to eradicate the Gray Squirrels because they were crowding out the somewhat smaller Reds but how successful they have been is another matter entirely. The only place I remember seeing them when I was a girl (yea I was one - once upon a time!) was in Dunfermline Glen, the place was loaded with really big Grays.

20. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

I'm puzzled, Chello.....why is your dirk RUSTY? You should have taken better care of it, lol. I've a feeling your quote is an actual quote from somewhere, it sounds familiar, but from where I don't recall????

Not much eating game in Scotland now, I'm afraid, except the salmon and venison - and both of those belong to rich English and Arabs who seem to own most of the country these days. Can't fish in the salmon rivers without a licence and I think they are hard to get. Just you wait till we get Independence - I bet a few folks will lose their privileges. I wonder if the Guvmint will make them share their fish and deer with the common folk? Now that would be a novelty, eh.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7