Are you truly prepared?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by GrayGhost, Jan 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I have a rule. If I need a jacket, I need to be carrying lighters.

2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

In my AO, if I am out of the house, I need a lighter and matches!

3. kellory

If I need to, I can make fire without them, but it takes time.
    When it's cold, time is in short supply, I carry several lighters to speed the process up.
    If I had to make a firebow and fire board, when my hands were too cold to feel them, chances are, I'd get cut, or have a hard time of it.

4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Like I said, around here, it is mostly about it being too wet. One of the reasons I prefer matches is because I can reach into my bundle to light the only really dry stuff. Not really into burning my hand off with a lighter, or not having a fire lay prepared because I cannot reach it with the lighter.

As for spark based systems, they are a pain, and beyond my skill level in anything other than favorable conditions. I've seen times that diesel wouldn't start a fire around here.

5. kellory

It sounds like you should change your name to Aquaman........:rolleyes:

6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Axes are better because you can build a house with one. Haha.

7. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

What a coincidence - I was just going to buy a Zippo lighter and thought I'd better check SM to see about alternative fuels for them... Lo-and-behold, this thread came up from Today :^)

Is there an alternative to the Zippo refill fuel? Will "general" lighter-refill fuel work (if there is such a thing)? Looks like I won't try Airplane fuel, but it would be nice to know what problem it had? Will Kerosene work?

I too have stored a few Bic lighters away and found most of them lose their butane over the years. This was why I started looking into the Zippo lighters, but I'm wondering if Zippo will have the same issue of the fuel "disappearing"/evaporating?

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Even more so. Zippo's work by being in a constant state or evap. There are things like a ronson that are a jet(?) system that only releases fuel when you hit the switch.

NVBeav and GrayGhost like this.
  9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I believe the ones you're thinking of are powered by butane but,

Ronson

10. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

In the toolbox of my truck I always carry a small propane torch as well. Works real good on the wet stuff.

Tully Mars, kellory and hitchcock4 like this.
  11. kellory

I have a torch head in my hunting gear, for the same reason.

12. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Any lighter fluid works, as does gasoline, including AvGas and Coleman fuel ("white gas")...jet fuel (basically kerosene) or diesel, not so much. The biggest thing to remember with a Zippo is not to overfill and then stick in your pocket...you'll only do it once unless you are severely masochistic.
    [flm]

13. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Best to just buy several cans of lighter fuel. We have bics, zippos, survival fire kits and lots of Kitchen matches. Dont put all your eggs in one basket. When you see those Bic Lighters on sale?? buy them.

Tully Mars likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Motomom34