Arms, Security and Defense

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by lonewolf88, Feb 22, 2016.

1. lonewolf88

lonewolf88 Monkey

It seems that most on these type of boards focus solely on modern firearms, I will ask, does anyone train with any other purpose built or improvised weapon/arms for security and defense? There are thousands of combinations of arms used throughout history. Just wondering if anyone thinks the same as I and is open minded.

Motomom34 and Hanzo like this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Yes. 8adba07915842c05a12f38fc40034cb0.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. lonewolf88

lonewolf88 Monkey

Is the picture a joke or is it saying you are an archer?

4. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I made a life-long study of weapons and improvised weapons, more from an anthropological interest than a desire to maim, always believing that mankind's advancement from lower life forms relates directly from his development of weapons. A hammer was not initially conceived to drive nails, it was used to beat someone about the noggin to prevent them from stealing the carcass you had just dragged back to your hole. Pretty much the same could be said about all the amazing computers and medical breakthroughs from zero gravity space research, as our space mission had naught to do with anything except how to put a bigger gun in the sky or keep an eye out for the other guy's missiles. Edged weapons and improvised rapid gas generation is my most knowledgeable areas, as sharp rocks are quite useful. Form follows function, and many common tools can and have been utilized as effective weapons.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. kellory

IMG_20150203_161442532. IMG_20150210_230434806_HDR. IMG_20150927_214544354.
    Both.;)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  6. lonewolf88

lonewolf88 Monkey

You speak of the warhammer, Sea? War hammers, especially when mounted on a pole, could damage without penetrating the armour. In particular, they transmitted the impact through even the thickest helmet and caused concussions. Later war hammers often had a spike on one side of the head, making them more versatile weapons. A blade or spike tended to be used not against helmets but against other parts of the body where the armor was thinner and penetration was easier. The spike end could be used for grappling the target's armor, reins, or shield, or could be turned in the direction of the blow to pierce even heavy armor. Against mounted opponents, the weapon could also be directed at the legs of the horse, toppling the armoured foe to the ground where he could be more easily attacked.

The maul is a long-handled hammer with a heavy metal head, either of lead or iron. Similar in appearance and function to a modern sledgehammer, it is sometimes shown as having a spear-like spike on the fore-end of the haft.

At the Battle of Agincourt, English longbowmen are recorded as using lead mauls, initially as a tool to drive in stakes but later as an improvised weapon. Other references during the century (for example, in Charles the Bold's 1472 Ordinance) suggest continued use. They are recorded as a weapon of Tudor archers as late as 1562.

kellory likes this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Bow and arrow and sling shots are some of my alternative defensive strategies.
    Even took a whisker biscuit and some copper tubing and paracord and made an arrow shooter .

chelloveck likes this.
  8. kellory

I would not consider a slingshot a defensive weapon, except as a last resort. I would revert to snares dead falls and man traps first.

chelloveck likes this.
  9. lonewolf88

lonewolf88 Monkey

Agreed. Unless a slingshot is custom built and more akin to ballista length, it is more likely to merely distract, aggravate the attacker or at best, blind or slowly begin asphyxiation. I trust a bow better than I would a slingshot.

10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Your brain is your greatest weapon. Everything else is an extension of it. Therefore, everything can be a weapon.

11. lonewolf88

lonewolf88 Monkey

That book looks like a good read. It likely covers the usefulness and purpose of historical arms still today, but also armor. Keep in mind they used medieval armor in ww2. Sn-42 and such.

kellory likes this.
  12. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Any thoughts on using tannerite? (P.S. ATF - not doing it, just curious)

13. lonewolf88

lonewolf88 Monkey

Im not sure about lethal explosives. I focus on other things.

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Tannerite is fully legal, it's how you use it that could get you crosswise with one or another "authority", tho' probably not ATF at first. There are some other "thou shalt nots" to contend with in the criminal codes.

chelloveck and kellory like this.
  15. kellory

Legal for now. I've heard a lot of noise about banning reactive targets. (Tannerite)

16. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Boomerang......

[​IMG]
    I'm the good looking fella on the right...........

The returning boomerang is not to be feared of....it's the hunting boomerangs that are headed straight for ye.

Tully Mars and VisuTrac like this.
  17. lonewolf88

lonewolf88 Monkey

Boomerang is good for hunting and maybe concussions against unarmored threats, but any level of armor, medieval or modern full armor and not sure how good the boomerang will be.

18. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@lonewolf88
    Very few will be wearing armor unless they have a horse.

Personally, I'll stick to firearms. If and when SHTF arrives, I'll use a compound bow or a crossbow for game.

19. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I have several options other than firearms, bows, crossbows, spears, other edged weapons...

Tully Mars and kellory like this.
  20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yea... FlameThrowers come to mind... Animals Cooked on the Hoof...[flm] [lolol]

1. Dunerunner
  2. Ganado
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Hanzo
  5. Tempstar
  6. oldman11
  7. Ganado
  8. Big Ron
  9. Bishop
  10. HK_User
  11. AndyinEverson
  12. Motomom34