Arms, Security and Defense

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by lonewolf88, Feb 22, 2016.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Boomerangs are ok against naked noggins....am just having an insider's joke at my own expense...am an Australian. ;)

2. chelloveck

I would probably agree with you BT....but that napalm aftertaste doesn't quite do it for me as much as hot chilli peppers. [reddevil]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    Altoidfishfins likes this.
  3. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@chelloveck
    The land of Oz. ;)

It pained me deeply to see pictures of all those firearms being destroyed.

4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Funny squirrels with guns2. guns may not always be there when you need them....but I also like swordwork. images.

Legion489 and chelloveck like this.
  5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@kellory
    Potentially they might not be there. Unlike some, I take ammunition as seriously as food shelter and water.

Same as you, I've done fencing; however, I prefer more of a whack and dismember style than piercing with a sharp point of an Epee or foil..

6. kellory

You have seen my helm already.....

tumblr_nxrf25Tjqq1qk8joso1_500.

7. lonewolf88

lonewolf88 Monkey

Unless you are into the old world vocation of armourer and do metalsmithing, that medieval armor must have cost you a good bit. Medieval armor (quality functional armor) is 300-900 dollars a piece. Same with functional carbon steel swords.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  8. chelloveck

Be gratified that not all proscribed firearms were surrendered to be destroyed....I dare say that Australia has it share of boating accidents also.

oldawg and Tully Mars like this.
  9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@kellory
    I'll stick to my firearms. :)

I have a Katana that will sever a 2" piece of hemp rope. However, the first "unwritten" rule of edged weapons is don't play unless you're willing to be cut.

kellory likes this.
  10. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Several folks on the monkey make their own armor...

11. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I sort of figured that; however, that being said seeing an O/U trap or skeet shotgun being destroyed was painful. I've read home invasions are on the increase in the land of Oz.

One of the truths about firearms, is one's skills vanish faster than a a slice of fresh bread laying out om the counter goes stale.

12. kellory

The armor is my own work. And I have a few well earned scars.

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  13. chelloveck

Over and under trap and skeet guns were not on the list of proscribed firearms, and need not have been surrendered for destruction, unless the owner had no permit to possess firearms. The owners of such firearms could continue to possess them if they took the trouble to obtain a permit and meet some fairly easily achievable requirements for maintaining the currency of their firearm holdings.

Many folk used the (conservative) Liberal/National Coalition Government's "Gun Buyback Scheme" to turn in firearms that they didn't want, without having to sell them through a registered gun shop. Many were firearms that had been inherited one way or another and were of no intrinsic value to the owner. The amnesty was relatively short, and the Govt were paying above the market rate in many instances for items which, in a glut market at the time , would have brought considerably less than through private sale.

14. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

It was still stupid and a violation of a freeman's rights.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  15. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Do booby traps count...?
    [peep]

16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Depends on Who's Boobies, get Trapped....

Tikka and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  17. lonewolf88

lonewolf88 Monkey

Tikka, Its fine you prefer firearms, but its best you widen your defense options. As Ive said, there are thousands of purpose built and improvised weapon/arms combinations. I suggest you watch this video. It shows two possible SHTF scenarios.

So what are you going to do 6 to 12 months later when ammo runs out, Tikka?

18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Barbarian!!!
    That tree is going to die from all the screwdriver holes and knives you've put into it!!!

Motomom34 and kellory like this.
  19. kellory

He is slated for death row anyways. Eventually it will be cut down only to the size of the throwing target area. Rest of the tree was butchered by the power company when they cut it back from the wires.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I practice 18th century combatives. I make gunstock warclubs and atlatls for sale. I'm big into archery. I am also a HEMA practitioner, so I know things. I'm probably better off in a world without guns than a world with them...I also make archery equipment, but I am not quite at the point where I am selling much of it anymore. Big fan of excessive R&D.

From the fight manuals that I have seen, it would seem that the spike was there more to concentrate the force of the blow into a single point for concussive reasons, not to pierce the steel.

Making armor is BS! It looks SO simple, and you end up wanting to burn do the workspace from all of the crap that's gone wrong. Very complex subject, old fashion armors. Not as simple as velcroing in a plate, and hoping to hell you don;t take a hit.

kellory likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Ganado
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Hanzo
  5. Tempstar
  6. oldman11
  7. Ganado
  8. Big Ron
  9. Bishop
  10. HK_User
  11. AndyinEverson