Augason Farms to Cease Production

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by nkawtg, Oct 8, 2021.

1. nkawtg

nkawtg Monkey+++

2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

So, trouble getting Chow from China?

duane and Altoidfishfins like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Did the Railroads stop running? or did the Truckers stop driving? or the Longshoremen stop unloading ships? where is the bottleneck and how did Slo-Joe, or his Stunt Double cause this….

duane likes this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

This is their planned degrowth agenda bs.
    I didn't know how they planned to pull it off, guess this is it.

duane likes this.
  5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Bottom line, there is no trucker or longshoremen shortage.... something else is in play.
    Probably using covid protocols to grind the ports to a halt.....

duane, SB21, mysterymet and 1 other person like this.
  6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

If that food comes direct from China, then it's probably just some Covid restrictions and protocols like YD mentioned. Also, there are a lot of Communists claiming to be American these days and they can work in any or all of the affected job positions.
    I know it's bad all over the country, you can't turn on the radio without hearing endless blasts about hiring for warehouse work all over. Mostly immigrants and other Leftists filled a large portion of those roles, but there's not enough new chattel to fill the rosters these days and it is a slow, painful grind to find more workers. Just where I am at we see a few new people every week, but they are gone within a couple days or maybe a week or two at most.
    Supply chain always breaks down at the warehouse and distribution level, not so much the transportation level.

duane and Yard Dart like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Guys, its the Covid!
    Longshoremen work FOR the Port of L.A. or Portland, or Seattle, Which makes them State Employees!
    Add in the restrictions of everything, the lockdowns, and the general way the country has handled covid! Truckers got screwed because the warehouses had to close, or do the social distancing, combined with ultra high demand for product while we were all locked down, they got hammered! The Rails are a fixed network, you cannot increase the numbers of trains running, the number of folks running them, and the amounts of freight being moved, if you ever counted on the railroads keeping up with anything, you counted wrong! Worse was the Ship crews themselves, for the last year and a half, none have been able to get off the ships, they have been stuck working with out contracts, or having to suffer less then ideal contracts to keep them working, they are not being allowed off the ships when they hit port, and over the course of the last almost two years, they have quit in YUGE numbers once they were able to get off the damn ships!

Add in that fact that this giant circle jerk of Covid has YUGELY limited the movement of containers in, through, and out of the shipping terminals, the lack of shipping containers being returned to their freight origins, and you get what we have here!

You think we got it bad, have a look at the really BIG terminals like Rotterdam or Antwerp, or Taiwan, there are Hundreds of ships waiting, Rotterdam at one point had almost 1000 waiting in que!

8. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Customs holding things up.

duane, Ura-Ki and TinyDreams like this.
  9. TinyDreams

TinyDreams Monkey++

I have also heard (from someone who works in a shipping yard) it’s because of covid and restrictions in how many people are there to unload the ships.

duane and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Whenever the reason, this is bad news and reflects what is going on in almost all aspects of the supply chain for everything, everywhere.

And, the question we should be asking is, "Why aren't representatives, bureaucrats, and administrators working as hard to normalize things as they were to stop/halt/turn off things during this so-called pandemic?"

duane and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

This fall I planted a patch of greens (turnips, mustard, kale and rape) and I knew that I should have planted more. I need to top-off the propane tank and get some food...maybe get some seed at the CO-OP. I work at Rural King, a farm supply store, and we just packed up all of our garden seed and shipped it back, however we still have #50 bags of corn, oats, and wheat. Gotta go make a list and check it twice....it's a good thing that I got a raise and get a 15% discount!

VisuTrac, duane, Dont and 1 other person like this.
  12. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

I’m pretty sure the motivation is to make it look like the economic system doesn’t work and needs to be replaced. The same useful idiots that are keeping the system from working will be the ones with the bright ideas to fix it.

duane, SB21 and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. john316

john316 Monkey+++

14. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

A friend of mine owns a very successful little container sales Company. He buys Conex boxes that are unloaded and resells them to construction companies and the like. There has always been a steady supply of empty shipping containers but there seems to be a serious shortage of container flowing into the Port of Mobile. Prices have doubled on both ends.

TinyDreams, Ura-Ki and duane like this.
  15. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Yup a place in town usually has 15 to 20, all sizes and all are one trip containers. Ranchers and others use them for long term storage or for remote sites. Most lay a slab and bolt them down for Tornado protection. I'll slide by their place and see what the inventory is like.

OTOH, supply and demand for now looks normal, but the JIT deal may bite us too.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    TinyDreams, Ura-Ki and duane like this.
  16. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have ordered a bunch of stuff from Auguson. Better prices than Mountain House. Better quality than Wise.
    Hate to see them shutting down. Hopefully only temporary.
    Another casualty of the goobermint's fricked up covid misresponse.

17. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I spoke to a longshoremen who said they won a grievance stating that plugging in a trailer is electrical work. So the driver ack up, hooks up then wait for an electrician to plug in the trailer. sounded like BS but sometime truth is stranger than fiction.

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7