Backpack Survival - Backpack Fever, by Duncan Long

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Mar 31, 2006.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

"A "back-pack survivalist" is a survivalist that plans on leaving his home ahead of a disaster and taking to the woods with only what he can carry out with him. He plans to survive through a strategy that is a sort of cross between the Boy-Scout-in-the-woods and Robinson Crusoe. The backpack survivalist plans on outrunning danger with a four-wheel drive or a motorcycle and hopes to travel light with a survival kit of everything he might need to cope with the unexpected. He hasn't cached anything in the area he's headed for because, chances are, he doesn't know where he's headed. Somehow, he hopes to overcome all odds with a minimum of supplies and a maximum of smarts. Certainly it is a noble cause; but it seems like one destined to failure. And that's not survival."
    -Excerpt from Backpack Fever, by Duncan Long

Full article removed at the request of the author, Duncan Long. The original work can be found on his site here:
    Backpack Fever by Duncan Long

More great articles from Duncan Long can be found here:
    Duncan Long's Articles About Firearms, Rifles, Gun Control, and other firearms-related issues.

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Very eye opening.

3. Aptus

Aptus Monkey+++ Founding Member

I really liked that article. Thanks for posting it.

4. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Good post bringing up good points.

5. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Good post [applaud]

6. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That is actually the decision I came to several years ago when I tried to get the wife to hoist up the backpack I loaded for her. I realized that if we ever had to hoof it out, I had better be at the back of the group, or she would either shoot me or club me with her BO rifle! Bug in has been my answer for several years now. Matter of fact, just sold her hiking boots last week on eBay!

7. abacus

abacus Monkey+++

That was a very good read. Thanks for posting it.

8. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Reality. It can suck.

9. melbo

I think the moral of the story is to look to your own place and see what you can do to make it work. Many who hang on survival type sites seem obsessed with Getting out of Dodge but have little or no plans as to where that will be.

You CANNOT carry enough stuff to make it on your own in the woods without resortng to looting. And, Looter will get themselves shot :D

10. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You are exactly right Melbo. If you remember a long time ago in a board far far away (WR), I made that exact statement and was accused of being un American for even thinking of looting and thievery. The scenario was a general BO by the masses, I said I would stay at home and when the pickings got slim, there is a nice highway near by that will be full of idiots that are begging you to take their stuff from them. If there was ever such thing as a digital rope, I about got it.

11. monkeyman

I would have to qualify that by saying you couldnt carry enouph to LIVE (as in a standard of life above maintaining a pulse) on your own in the woods. I would say that if one took the time to learn the skills and was going to be living in a grass hut or some such and eating bugs and rodents to suplement anything better they could come up with along with any gathered vegitation that was edible then they might well manage to maintain a pulse with what they could pack out.

That said, getting a place set up that one is not likely to have to leave unless for a very localized emergency and making sure to keep a BHB (bug home bag) packed and in the vehicles to make it back in a worst case situation would be by FAR a better option.

12. melbo

Agreed mm. It can be done.
    Our current society seems to like the couch however and I doubt the average Joe I see at the grocery store could live for more than 2 weeks on grubs cooked over a fire started by a fire bow.

Not gonna happen.

It CAN be done. Just not to the extent that many 'survivalists' seem to think

13. monkeyman

Yup, most folks turned loose in the woods would starve to death and fall dead on a dozen sources of food, most of which they wouldnt have eaten if they knew they could have due to aversions and thinking it was to gross. Just had to kind of qualify the idea that it couldnt be done to that it couldnt be done by most due to lack of knowledge and most of the rest would know it wouldnt be much of a life.

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

15. monkeyman

Yeah being in a place where bugging in is a viable option or at least haveing a pre established place to BO to would definatly be the best option.

16. Clyde

I was just thinking about the baseball sized hemrhoid I would have carrying a huge backpack, two kids and my wife cross country. [winkthumb] Just thought I would share that "thought for the day"

17. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I hope you spend quite a bit of time in the tavern before hand.

18. monkeyman

Just have to ask, how and where exactly do you carry these things? [LMAO]

19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Without prejudice, you wind up waddlling. Don't ask how I know -- [gone]

20. Clyde

nothing a survival knife, bottle of rum, and a maxi pad couldn't fix....and yes, I KNOW the waddle, ghrit. :eek:

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. 3M-TA3
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  7. Thunder5Ranch
  8. Motomom34
  9. ED GEiN
  10. AxesAreBetter
  11. yeti695
  12. medicineman
  13. Dunerunner
  14. Motomom34
  15. Oltymer
  16. Imasham
  17. H.I.S Survival
  18. Witch Doctor 01