Balisong... my kind of fidget toy

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Hanzo, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

My kind of fidget toy!

In the early 90's, I had the privilege of training with Michael Janich. We were in the same Escrima and Muay Thai class. And that is when I first got to see a true expert with the Balisong. Michael wrote the book on it. Well, he actually did the instructional video with Paladin Press. I was blown away with the stuff he was doing. And impressed that he had all his fingers! The Balisong made its way out after classes. And it was always a great show.

That's not Michael in this youtube video. But you can catch him on his TV show, The Best Defense on the Outdoor Channel.

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Toys. You got that right. Just toys.
    The only practical use is, the blade can be stored inside the handle.

I don't trust in "experts" who are often proclaimed to be the pinnacle of greatness. Just the same as any King who would have to announce, "I am the king, listen to me!" is really no King at all. The true power in any kingdom is who controls the creation of money and sets its value. There are countless heroes and professionals out there who never receive credit for their achievements, their greatness will never properly be recognized--but they do exist.

snake6264 likes this.
  3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Michael teaches some pretty intense classes in personal defense with edged weapons. He is sponsored by Spyderco.

Hanzo likes this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I had three of those when stationed in Subic Bay. Took me the three months, tied to the dock there, to just learn how to flip it open and closed...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Oddcaliber, Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Now we know how "Three Fingered Jack" got his name...

Even if the knife may not suit your vision for protection or other practical use anything that improves your coordination and agility is always a bonus.

Hanzo, Dunerunner and Trouble like this.
  6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have seen Phillipino boys that could cut you six ways to Thursday with a balisong before you could blink an eye.

oldawg, Hanzo and Dunerunner like this.
  7. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

What does it do? How well does it do it?

This knife is made for Asian street gangs to use to intimidate people and to send messages. It was not made to kill people or for war and certainly not for any sort of game hunting/skinning or wood working. Personally, I don't see myself needing one of these but they are fun. I've had them before.

8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

It would make a great fruit and cheese knife.... :whistle:

Hanzo, Yard Dart and Tempstar like this.
  9. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

I have Jeff Imada's Ballisong Manual but I've never actually owned one...

Here's a review of the book by cutlerylover. I imagine more than a few of you are subscribed to his YouTube channel.

Hanzo likes this.
  10. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Cool vid Hanzo. Thanks. :D

Hanzo likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7