Basic Prep List for “Buggin In”

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Equilibrium, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

Have been playing with this idea my self. I picked up some old SERVER sized UPS, Digital units if I recall correctly, and am looking at using solar to directly charge the batteries. There are 4 batteries in the case (yeah, it is that damn big) so I will probably have to pull one of the batteries to get the volts/amp hrs from each. I am not electronic expert, but I did read a book once. It was about a dog named spot and some couple named Dick and Jane. But I digress. As I said, it should be feasible with a little reading, imagination and elbow grease. If you get it done before I do, please post your results. As I will do the same.

Be Blessed, Be Vigilant
    Gafarmboy
    If you can not protect what you own, you won't own it long.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just as long as you understand that UPSs are NOT designed for efficiency. They are designed to reliability, and where Power WILL return, as soon as the Backup Genset fires up, which may take anywhere form 10 seconds, to a couple of Hours. the design does NOT particularly car how inefficient the DC to AC to conversion process is, as long as it functions until the Genset can warmup and take over powering the computer loads. Oh yea, and GOD Forbid that you use a "Suicide Cord" to backfeed your place, off the UPS.... (Suicide Cord = Extension Cord with Male Plugs on BOTH ENDS) It will be MAGIC SMOKE Leak out Time.....

3. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

agreed. But going for the total picture.. you know, such as ANYTHING that can provide power in a pinch.

4. Simpleman

Simpleman Monkey+

Not to drag it back up but I'm gonna get some of them lights!

5. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

beside haveing the towels and blankets and plates and toliet paper ad paper towels and dishing washing soap items and other things that you might need inside the apt to use dureing the 21 day length stay if need to basically stay put for the time to see if it safe to travel after so many days after the event or i need to walk away now ..

part of the basic plan is the use the food items inside the fridge first then move onto the can goods inside the cabinet and then move onto the 21 day supply of food in the cans goods and mre meal ..once those item are gone it time to move to a more secured area or things have gotten back to semi normal and i can leave the house and go about my daily business ..

but i do have the following items in a rubbermaid tote for bugging in if need be ..

the basic supply list inside the totes inside the hall closet ..

x-21 days worth of foods in the diff can goods and mre meal items i need to make up three meals a day

-x-extra snacks items for staying still and not moveing around is going to drive me up the wall ..so snacks it going to be the main thing

-x-i love this peanut butter by these companys

peanut butter and company flavored peanut butter

sunland peanut butter company flavored peanut butter

diff snacks i like

summer sauage and crackers

snack type ritz crackers

chesse whiz in diff flavors

trail mix in diff flavors

diet soda

tea bags for hot and cold tea drinks

hot chocolate

instast coffee powder

coffee creamer

-x-books for reading dureing the day time

-x-led headlamp for use at night

-x-solar powered lanten set up for use as need

-x-double aa batties for headlamp for reading at night

-x-solar recharger for ipad battie unit for use as need

-x-mrs small backpacking stove with stove stowage case

-x-extra canstiers of fuel for the small back pack camping stove

-x-backpackers cookware for use with the smaller stove unit as need

-x-3-gallon set up solar shower for cleaning up

-x-compact water puf system used for hikeing with extra filters cartrigdes for the unit for use as need

-x-2.5.gallon fresh water bottle jugs -x-12 for use as need for cooking and cleaning and washing ..

part of the plan is to take a shower and shave and clean up every three days intill the power is restore or when it safe to move to the place in Az

-x-300.rds of duty carry pistol ammo in mtm 100.rd ammo boxs for duty weapon

-x-cleaning kit for duty weapon

-x-mag loader tool for magazine .

-x-extra 20.rd magazines for use with the duty weapon with magazine extensions on them for use as need -x-4-

-x-extra surefire weapon lights and personal flashlight batties -x-12-to a boxs-x-5-boxs

-x-extra surefire personal flashlight and weapon lights blubs-x-8 blubs total in a plastic stowage case

-x-blackout curtains cloth to put up over the windows at night for keep some of the socalled light inside the place as a beacon to others in the area that you have some form of power

i want to add this to the list of the bug in supplies because of liveing next to the rail road tracks here in l.a. area and they do carry things that do not mix well and could cause a problem

this is kept inside a small clear rubbermaid tote inside the closet to pull out and use for a oh--s---- moment in one life ..

-x-full scale bio chemical warfare suit with gloves and hood and boots with current military gasmask with access items items along with a battie powered blower unit for long term use if need with a small solar panel system to charge the unit as need ..

-x-pre-filled g.i.2.qt sized canteen with the socalled nbc warfare caps to allow to drink water from if need -x-5- prefilled for use as need ..

-x-decon items inside another tote for use as they are need ..

these items are kept in the oh-crap area for one time i have to get to them it going to be bad if i need them ..

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

The mini crank lanterns/flashlights were pretty cool. I found another lantern that looked interesting, SolaDyne 12 LED Camp Lantern with Solar Charger and Hand Crank. It comes with a hand crank like that other larger lantern I found but it comes with a car charger too. I think the 3 smaller hand cranks are the better value.

7. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

Stabil. Gas treatment. Get it from just about any auto parts store. Need to treat all gas units sitting for awhile as well as treat any and all cans of gas etc. Stops the gas from turning to varnish

8. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

LOL Hank, your just a peanut butter kinda guy.

9. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

not to get the topic off track ..but if you tried those peanut butters in the diff flavors of white and dark chocolate and banana and other flavors ..you would not share them with the grandkids..

my grandkids know not to ask them inless i offer it to them as a treat for beening good and most of the time all i have to say to them if they keep acting that way they are not going to get grandpa special peanut butter sandwichs and they settle real quick ..

now there moms and dads are the same way after turning them onto this peanut butter and now they give the kids standard kid peanut butter brands and not the socalled high end type of pb they save those flavors for themselfs to eat ..

like i say try it once and you be hooked and most people are hooked after one bite of them ..

here is something i do for a treat once a week for work lunch ..

slices of fresh home made wheat bread and then take sugar free cherry jam and dark chocolate peanut butter spead it over the two slices of fresh bread and put them together and you swear your eating a black forrest dessert cake on a sandwich ..

10. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

I have a NightStar Flashlight that works great and is nice to have in case of extended outages and when other hardware fails.

It's not a spot light but it provides just about an endless supply of light with no batteries ever needed and much less likely to have a mechanical failure compare to the hand crank type of lights. 30 seconds of shaking provides 20 minutes of light.

11. Lit 1911

Lit 1911 Monkey+

With the exception of books,we have much in common.I must also add that i have all the tools and parts i need to basically rebuild my whole truck.

12. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Oh noooo.... I don't have all those things on my list but.... I'm probably up to a good 75%. I'm plugging along buying what's on the list. Today I picked up wool blankets. Those are actually hard to find. I've been looking for them ever since they were suggested. The ones we had were pretty ratty from use. I should mention the Foxfire books didn't meet my expectations. The books are fine for what they are but... they weren't exactly what I thought they'd be. If you're considering them.... you might want to go to a library and flip through them before purchasing them. The other books I originally listed were wonderful.

13. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

hows the list coming?? and why the 2 cylinder oil? Im copying your list LOL
    I wanted to tell you to add betadine ( for infections)

14. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Take any list I've got.... have at it. My photos are fair game too.... it's not like I'm a professional photographer or anything. I'm doing so so on the list. I'm totally out a long term solar solution for our well pump so far. I can't find the Appalachian White wheat seed if my life depended on it..... that one's starting to bug me but I did pick up all the other seed I needed. I need a meat grinder.... I think I've found one I like it's just a matter of checking Craig's list for the next coupla months to see if it pops up there before I pay full price. I found a few Wear-Ever #475s but.... the people selling them only take PayPal. Same thing with the Moulinex food processors. I've sorta halfassed looked at grain grinders... I know exactly which one I'd like to have but no way will I pay that kinda money so that one's out. The airtight wood stove I'm gonna get to sooner or later.... I've been too focused on the pantry items to bother with it. I pretty much already had or knocked off the rest of the list bit by bit. I've got a gallon of betadyne surgical scrub and regular betadyne here. Those are on another list I never did post but.... like everything else.... I'm working on it a little bit at a time. The 2-cycle oil is for my chainsaw. I got a Stihl for Mother's Day about 6 or 7 years ago. I have another one now too.... it's an arborists chainsaw. It's a Stihl too. I took the chainsaw classes the 1st time and flunked. What a horrible feeling. Everybody got a certificate except me..... gulp. I was like sitting there and I thought they forgot me but nope..... I was a flunkie. They let me come back and gave me private lessons. I still really struggle starting mine because I've broken my right arm so many times but.... I've taken down thousands of smaller woodies with somebody else starting it for me since learning how to use it. Anything bigger than 30' and the men with much bigger chain saws need to take them down. Let them drop the Norway maples and I'll stick to smaller sawtooth oaks and buckthorns. I'm a volunteer anyway so they're happy to have somebody smaller. The guys really struggle getting through all the thorny brush from those Asian honeysuckles and that multiflora rose so they all try to grab me for their crews and they're so cute because they all promise to start my chainsaw for me if I go with their crew. I try to rotate.... they're all good folk and I know with the distribution of their weight clearing that brush is really hard on their backs. Funny.... I flunked and I'm the only one who hasn't damaged myself or even come close to nicking my chaps or anything in all these years.... I'm pretty sure it's because I'm still intimidated by chainsaws. You should go take some classes. Go to any Stihl dealer. I think they probably all offer the classes.

15. oldsoldier

oldsoldier Gadget Master

I might also suggest a couple of small solar chargers. I have one and am currently planning to buy a second one when I get my tax refund. The one i have is in a small zippered carrying case, with all the different plugs for charging cell phones and stuff like GPS units, small electronics and such. I paid $50 for mine.

16. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

Sounds like you are doing awesome on that list girl, and old soldier Im on the solar chargers, looking at 2 in the next month.

17. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

I'm potato brain dead today.... solar chargers are an excellent suggestion!!! Could somebody just give me a link to a good brand of solar battery chargers please. We use mostly AAs and Ds. We've got the Energizer plug-in-the-wall chargers and those are great for cameras and everything but the solar chargers sound more practical.

18. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

Im not sure what the best ones are, will be buying 2 different kinds in case one sucks or breaks LOL
    so you have pictures??

19. gejoat

gejoat Monkey+

Well I saw 2cycle oil and gas; but nothing that used them; Chainsaw??
    One big area that I did not see were any hand tools, carpentry, yard, or farm tools.
    I would recommend more types of seeds and more varieties in case one didn't do well in a particular year; and enough seeds to plant spring and fall this year and next; didn't see any beans at all. Herbal seeds for spice and medicine.
    BOOKS, BOOKS,and more BOOKS how to, herbal medicine, everything, Bible or your religious book, and some school books for kids.I assume you have pressure canner and hot water bath canner as well.
    Detentus Mentioned guns and ammo.

20. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Yes gejoat... two chainsaws for me. Smaller chainsaws though. I have regular and unleaded gas I keep on hand. I believe my Stihl FS350 brushcutter uses unleaded gas and oil but I'd have to check the manual again... that was new last year. I have a very basic toolbox…pathetic actually. Nothing special but enough to get me by… if you could make suggestions beyond hammer, a coupla screwdrivers, utility knife, pliers, tape measure, etc…. that’d be great. I have been buying new tools as I needed them but…. I don’t have many. Hand tools and carpentry tools... for sure room for improvement there. Yard tools.... again the basics plus a 30 year old Cub Cadet riding lawn mower with 2 more that don’t run for parts. Farm tools... the basics for chickens. Will be learning what the basics for rabbits are then will try to pick those up as needed. Other farm tools.... deficient in that area big time other than that which I use for gardening. I had picked up a few “primitive” type tools like a cross-cut saw and a few I never could figure out what they were used for at an auction…. don’t know why I did that other than that the tools were beautifully crafted and “spoke” to me. Bad news was somebody broke into our shed when we were gone and stole most of our tools. They left us with a rake and a shovel with a broken handle. It was locked… they kicked in the door. I’d like another cross-cut saw but haven’t had time to go to any of those old farm auctions recently. I do have an excellent potato fork and two good hoes. Shovels I have for sure… since I use those all the time and I’ve got a good wheel barrel and garden cart. I do have some upholstery tools. Enough to get by. My experience upholstering is limited but I've done it.... it just took me 10x as long as a professional. Tanning tools, I’d like to learn what I need and get into those for rabbit hides…. wouldn’t know where to begin. Seeds I'm good to go on.... the ones I listed were seeds I wanted to try new this year. Herbal and medicinal seeds I'm so so on. I do have an extensive first aid kit and beyond although there are a few things I need to locate or replace.... like my trauma shears.... why I took those outside.... I don't know but I did and I haven't been able to find them for a year.... I do need a new pair of those and keep forgetting to buy them. I also need more gauze pads than what I have and I also keep forgetting metronidazole. We have a Torah and Talmud and of course a Bible. We're a mixed marriage. DIY books I'm real light on. I've picked up a few. Reader's Digest 'Back to Basics' was the book I picked up this week. I do know I need to work on downloading free DIY publications. Our youngest kid is in HS and he's into non-fiction so his tastes parallel ours so we're ok on non-DIY books. We have plenty of picture books for our oldest kid who can't read so we're good to go there. Guns and ammo... not so good. My brother did give me a ruger and I’m taking an Appleseed on how to use it properly. I just learned our youngest son has a decent rifle and knows how to use it but I honestly forgot what it was.... nothing special I don't think. Other than that... one BB hand gun to kill chickens with. Knives I know I need. I ordered a few good knives for slicing tomatoes and a grape hook and I'm going to buy another good hand ax for sure and… a kit or something to be able to sharpen it myself. I forgot the brand I have but I like it and want another one and Bison Forge identified what I had so I know what to buy.
    --
    BTW… the suggestion of tools was really good. I don’t want to mess up this thread but… if anyone has time… please help me with suggestions here, http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/back-basics/27865-heres-my-toolbox.html#post154097.

1. Dunerunner
  2. duane
  3. saki monkey
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Motomom34
  6. DarkLight
  7. Witch Doctor 01
  8. arleigh
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Ganado
  12. ED GEiN