Basic Prep List for “Buggin In”

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Equilibrium, Jan 12, 2011.

1. gejoat

gejoat Monkey+

Just some thoughts: Books lots and lots, herbal medicine, doctoring, how to, schooling, Bible or your religious books, light reading.
    Prescription meds or long term substitutes..herbal??

Feminine hygiene products
    Birth control products.
    Cards, dominoes, board games, recreational items.
    Music?? instruments, music books?

Hope this helps,
    GEjoat

2. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

do you have any good second hand stores? we have an awesome goodwill here. I would glean from them constantly as you can get awesome stuff there . we do this and I have found cool things that I could use to bug in :)

3. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

gejoat> they have a coupla acoustical guitars they take camping with them. Mostly they moved onto electric guitars. Nobody ever got into musical instruments here beyond the guitar. I was hoping somebody'd show an interest in piano but that didn't happen. Yes... for sure on your other suggestions especially cards and board games and of course feminine hygiene products.
    --
    CANDY> Do I have any good 2nd hand stores.... you bet!!! I unloaded half my house and I dumped big time on Jewish Home and Aid Society and Catholic Charities. The JHAS and CC got like 99% of everything from my oldest brother's house after he died. It felt soooooooo good passing on all his "stuff" and definitely unloading this house from the accumulation of decades of marriage and.... kids. We don't need all that "stuff" any more and our kids definitely don't need their baby clothes or old toys.... let that "stuff" go to families that can use it. The GoodWill is really good because I've been picking up mason jars from them every once in a while and other odds and ends.... sometimes even tools. Salvation Army.... not so good since they're mostly furniture and clothing so that's where I dumped most of the clothing they grew out of and the baby clothes. We have a few resale shops and I sometimes find canning jars there too. Shelves have been getting picked pretty clean the last year or so. Bargains are getting harder to find. I still stop in about once a month. I keep hoping I'll find a good meat grinder someday but so far no go.

4. gejoat

gejoat Monkey+

Here is a good link to look at and a listing of books, like anything else in life I don;t agree with all but, its up to you to pick and choose.
    SurvivalBlog.com
    his home site with a lot of excellent info by James Wesley Rawles
    http://www.survivalblog.com/bookshelf.html
    his books and video list

5. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Bummer.... check out the links.... they're almost all nothing more than links to books we can buy at Amazon. I think I'm more looking for free PDFs. Right now I'm looking for freebies on chickens, rabbits, aquaculture, hydroponics, and knife selection and sharpening. I've got a few more skills I'd like to acquire like soap making from scratch.

6. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

LOL I read this and thought wow, your better at good will then me! I have not seen a meat grinder, mom had something like this when we grew up and I saw there pretty cheap.[​IMG] 26.00 I believe. mom used it for years.

7. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Eesh.... I thought about freecycling everything and listing the big ticket items on Craigslist but.... that would've turned my home into grand central. My husband isn't feeling well enough lately to deal with that kinda traffic and it would've been too much for him. I thought about it.... I really did.... then decided to give it to those organizations because the Jews and Catholics don't care what religion you are or if you even believe in God.... they'll help people.... they don't care. GoodWill employs the handicapped... no donations.... no jobs for differently-abled and then Salvation Army has always been real good about giving vouchers to all people in need as a result of personal disasters like fires and floods and disaster victims can get Salvation Army dollars and go shopping in their stores to pick up big ticket items like kitchen tables and chairs, tv's, or sofas. I thought about it long and hard and decided to unload on those 4 charities and.... unload I did. I mean everything I could unload I unloaded including all my mother's clothes after she passed away and I hate to sound crass but.... I asked the funeral director for her glasses before they cremated her so I could make sure the frames got dropped in the charity box where they go to some organization that provides prescription lenses for Americans who flat out can't afford to pay $100 for frames. My mom always had real nice eye glass frames. She was dead.... she didn't need her eyeglasses and letting them go up in smoke was just plain wrong to me. I lust for your meat grinder....just kidding.... I'm so happy you picked one up for a decent price. The one I'm looking for is cast iron too. A little bit different design though. Without looking at my notes I'm thinking the brand might have been a Universal>>>? Say.... where's that post of yours where you were talking about placing a whopper order with Emergency Essentials?

8. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

I think you did it wisely and the glasses, yeah you were good to give them to the needy. you have a good heart I can tell. Hope the hubby is ok Lib.
    I think I posted in the what did you put away this week my order with emergency essentials. I spend 1300 dollars.

9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Don't forget the reciepts... it will save FRN's at tax day...

10. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

They're all real good about giving receipts... problem is they have to be filled in and there was so much "stuff" we ended up spending an hour one day at Salvation Army with the guy. After that, we started bringing in photos of what we were dropping off so they could work at filling in the receipts at their leisure then just send them to us. It was easier on them and definitely on me so I could go back to the house for another load and leave after I'd dropped of the last load for that day. I think eyeglasses just go in a drop box. I don't recall there having been any receipt we could pick up.

11. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

Don't forget the antique mall when looking for prep items.I picked up a grain mill that looked like new for 9 bux..it was labeled as a meat grinder.Good place to find axes and garden tools,too.

12. oldsoldier

oldsoldier Gadget Master

Not sure what brand mine is but I can PM anyone the info on the store i got mine from if you want it. here is my cell charger.
    040.JPG 041.JPG

13. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

nice !! how does it work ? charging batterys and how long does it take ?

14. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Small Scale Grain Raising? Saw that book in Bountiful Gardens catalog, thinking about it...is it worth getting?

15. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Yes, the book is worth it.

16. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Ok thanks.

17. oldsoldier

oldsoldier Gadget Master

The one pictured is for cell phones, depending on the amount (brightness) of the sun as little as an hour.

1. Dunerunner
  2. duane
  3. saki monkey
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Motomom34
  6. DarkLight
  7. Witch Doctor 01
  8. arleigh
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Ganado
  12. ED GEiN