I started a previous thread back in early July, regarding others here who may be involved in beekeeping. I had already been making purchases of beekeeping equipment and accessories, while waiting for my bees to arrive. (In SEA, you don't get in a hurry for anything. Doing so will only cause you to give yourself an aneurysm.) Our bees (2 colonies) arrived on July 22nd. I kept them here at the apartment for just over two weeks, prior to moving them to the farm. They arrived in 10 frame poly boxes, which appeared to be pretty rugged. Unfortunately, for some crazy reason, when you buy bees here, they come with 8 frames, but in a 10 frame box. Why, I have no idea. But, I will say they serve as excellent hives to move bees in, as you just flip down the plastic cover to expose a screen vent and close the entrance, simultaneously. Transport them to their destination and open them up. Simple. Pretty neat hives, I have to say. Anyway... After just over two weeks, we closed them up and moved them during the wee hours of the morning (08/08/17), to the farm. They were calm and cool customers. Not to mention, I had movies and popcorn for them during the trip. They were happy campers. We arrive at the farm just before daylight, and immediately set up the poly hives, until we could transfer them into their new digs, the full Langstroth hives. To be honest, I was a bit apprehensive that they would survive at the farm, with nothing (apparently) but rice fields for 10 kilometers in any given direction. But, they pleasantly surprised me. As soon as I opened the hive entrances up, they began taking their orientation flights - a wonderful thing to watch by the way, and immediately took off for destinations unknown. I was truly surprised - and a bit shocked, to see them returning within only minutes, ready to begin filling their stores. I would have never believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes. Anyway, two days later (10/08/17), we transferred them into the new hives we had set up for them. The frames in the poly hives were close to being full, about 80-90% capacity. So, I knew it was well past time to give them more room to expand. In the photo immediately below, I gave them each a second brood box, for them to expand and grow into. The top boxes served, at the time, only as vent boxes and to protect internal feeders. I would set small (1 Liter) chicken feeders, with small stones inside and on top of the inner covers, in order to feed the bees. Moving them into the new hives was a pleasant experience. Chan (aka "The Boss") caught a photo of one of the workers patiently waiting for us to complete the transfer, so she could carry her loot into her hive. Probably the best photo we have to date, of these little creatures: Anyway, the transfer went well. During the day, it hits about 34°C to 35°C, hotter in direct sunlight. We began to notice the workers weren't out so much during the hottest part of the day. Walking up behind the hives, they sounded like small jet engines running, to keep the hive cool. So, we drilled ventilation holes in the top boxes, in hopes that would keep them cool enough. Still, it didn't seem to be enough. So, we then decided to move them under a tree, closer to the front of the property. They would receive morning sun until about noon or a bit after. Anyway, this is what the apiary looked like just after the move: Then, I got tinkeritis and thought they were still getting too much sunlight. We put some sunshade (similar to what we used to construct the greenhouse for the aquaponics system) above them, to help keep more of the direct sunlight off the hives. We - by "we", I mean me, I - may have gone a bit far with that, to be honest. Then, I left them alone for a couple of weeks. But, at least they were coming and going all day, now, rather than staying inside the hives during the hottest part of rural Cambodian days. Up next, expanding - splitting.