Best all around pesticide

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by fortunateson, Jun 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

This is our first year survival gardening and we're going "organic".
    That means that I'm starting to understand the challenges of organic farming ( a huge understatement) . In short, we're getting eaten alive.

I'm determined to work this out and figure out how to do this chemical-free.
    But until I do - I'm thinking that I'd better have some pesticide stored up in case TSHTF before I grow my green thumb.

Any suggestions for something that is fairly effective and broad spectrum?

Thanks in advance.

2. fortunateson

Sevin?
    Malathion?
    Bueler?
    Anyone?

3. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I put a very VERY small amount of Borax in the soil before I plant....people tend to use too much, and the boric acid in it can be just as toxic as any other bug killers if you use too much.....I'm talking a minute amount...and I do that when prepping....You can read up on it on Dial's web site....(Parent corporation)
    I use Borax for a lot of things...kind of like I use vinegar, and garlic...all over the house...on people, pets, etc......

But, back to the garden...Mine is not that big...I grow tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, and a few others...I love homegrown tomato sandwiches...That's one of the foods you get in Heaven...along with soft shell crab sandwiches.. ;)

I make an onion spray for the plants....and so far, in the last 3 yrs, it's worked for keeping aphids, etc..off the plants.

Just soak a peeled and diced onion overnight with the amt of water needed to fill the bottle you will be using...On the next day, strain the water in to the bottle, and start using it immediately....The onion smell will dissipate quickly....don't worry about your veggies and plants smelling like onion...I keep it in the frig when not using it...I use it daily, and the size bottle I use usually lasts anywhere from 5-8 weeks....Hope that helps some...

4. fortunateson

Thanks, I'll try those.

One that I've been using with disappointing success is made from tobacco snuff. Take a can of skoal or whatever's cheapest and let it soak in a quart of water overnight. Then strain and use the liquid as a spray. Like I said, It's been disappointing, but maybe I did something wrong.

5. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

That's an awful thing to do with a perfectly good can of snuff. Seriously though, I've heard you need to boil the leafy variety, red man etc.
    I used it years ago, I believe I read it in one of Jerry Baker's books. I think it was called "the Impatient Gardener".

6. fortunateson

Ah.. BOIL. Maybe I'll try that.
    Considering there's enough nicotine in each can to kill a horse - It should work.

7. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

I use ladybugs and praying mantises to handle the bugs inside the garden (fenced off area) and guinea fowl and chickens for the outside.

8. fortunateson

I read that it's hard to keep the critters where you want them. What's your technique?

9. gunbartender

gunbartender Monkey+++

any good ground hog deterrents?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7