Best BOV (bug out vehicle)

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by LoganW, Dec 21, 2013.

1. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Because it is a cut down Pilot, with unibody construction, not body on frame, insufficient ground clearance, no available skid plates, the drive system has no low range and isn't suited for off roading. IIRC, the spare and jack is located in "trunk" under the bed of the Ridgeline. Have a flat and you have to unload the bed to get to the spare.NO!!

The Honda Pilot / Ridgeline is a good vehicle but much more suited to back country roads as a "Home Depot hauler" than anything else. We have a '03 Pilot with dang near 200K on it, and will most likely last another 150K but no way I'm taking it off road.

2. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'll stick with my gas sucking avalanche

wish it had come with a diesel though.

Brokor likes this.
  3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

No thanks. I owned one, never had any real issues, although if I were you and had that many problems, I would see why you don't like them. Had a girlfriend who also owned a Geo Tracker, she had no problems besides the tree she hit with it. Lots of cars have mechanical issues, and I never heard of a recall or read any complaints about a massive Tracker problem before, but I will look into this if I have time.

@LoganW I owned a Subaru Justy before, 3 cyl unibody 4wd car, it didn't look like much, but it went everywhere I needed. Once, I drove that car through a bad winter storm 12 hours in 3 foot drifts to get home, highways were closed, but I didn't care. Of course, some of the old timers on here will mention how illegal or unsafe that was and how they know about the right way to do things, but my POINT is that it's a tough car. The only drawback is the unibody, making it useless if you get into serious trouble and damage it beyond repair. What can I say, life is a gamble.

There are plenty of car and truck elitists out there, it's a lot like guns. I try to base my ideas from the basic facts surrounding what will work in time of need, not so much on what is the ultimate, greatest vehicle ever made. If worse comes to worst, just about anything will do, and about the only requirements I set for a bug out vehicle are fuel capabilities, 4wd dependability, and electronics (or lack thereof). I am sure there are better options than what I have suggested, and finances may be a deciding factor in your life, which is why I listed some of the more commonly available vehicles. Also, if one is considering a "bug out" vehicle, the very best thing to have in mind is the possibility of ditching it if needed, and this means having the knowledge to obtain another vehicle if required, on the go. This concept is not limited just to a vehicle, but to any equipment, since your mind and skills are truly the very greatest tools at your disposal.

gunbunny and kellory like this.
  4. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

My best friend's parents had a Subaru Justy. Just think about two new teenage drivers and what they would want to do with a 4wd vehicle... I was surprised later on when I saw it driving around, still street legal, owned by the same family, five years later.

My only problem with Subaru's are the unit body, and they are darn hard to work on- not only is the engine (goofy opposed cylinder engine causes weird oil leaks) shoehorned in the engine compartment, but the accessory systems cris-cross each other. There is no reason that I could see to cross the power steering pump and the air conditioning compressor lines, other than to pi$$ someone off when they are trying to fix the thing themselves.

I agree with you completely, Brokor. I just wanted to impart some of the hard-earned knowledge, that I spent good money getting, about the Jeep vehicles. As you can tell they are a hobby of mine.

Brokor likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I had a 2nd Hand Subaru StationWagon that had 190k miles on it, when the first engine died. Had a JunkYard Engine from a like Model, that had 60K on it when it was RearEnded, put in, and finally sold it, in town, to a young Couple for $500US when it had 240K Miles on it. Last time I was in town, it was on it's fifth Owner and still running.... Nothing wrong with those Old Subaru StationWagons, as long as you don't crunch them....

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Oh, yeah. I remember those. I owned an old wagon once by Subaru, I bought a lemon...my own fault. Subaru Brat's were kinda cool, too. Although, the only ones I ever rode in were junk at the time.

Heck yeah! You know quite a lot more than I do, no doubt. Always welcome the insight! My brother used to rebuild CJ's, and he knows more about cars than I ever will. I generalize a bit, but try to be simple at times when details may be better.

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

If I remember correctly, the downfall of theBrat, was rust. they were (I'm told) shipped over naked, and topside, because it was cheaper, and painted here. I DO know, that every Brat I ever saw (and I wanted one) was a complete rust bucket.:(

Brokor likes this.
  8. BTPost

The previous Owner of my Sub Wagon, had it completely undercoated, when purchased new. That is why the body lasted so long. I learned a thing or two, owning that vehicle. One was that if you live in Road Salted local, you should ALWAYS, pay to have your vehicle, undercoated... Wish I had followed my own advice, with the Nissan Truck....

Brokor likes this.
  9. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Own two f250's.. They have proven themselves a durable and rugged vehical, with a lot of low range power. Most people in this area go with the subaru's and toyota's..

Gafarmboy likes this.
  10. cowboy63645

cowboy63645 Monkey++

In my opinion, the best BOV is the vehicle you currently own. Unless you are looking for a truck to use only as a BOV, no need to spend the extra coin on another vehicle. Outfit your current ride to suit your needs. For instance, I own a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic CCSB Z71. I have added larger CV axles in the front end, as well as some other upgraded parts (larger inner and outer tie rod ends, tie rod sleeves, better ball joints and hubs, etc.) I have added a 2.5" lift, larger tires to help with more ground clearance, more storage (in bed toolbox and a camper shell) and have every amenity I would need for both short and long travel. I use this vehicle as my every day driver, it still hauls the family and the groceries and if the SHTF then I already have my vehicle with me. It still looks like a stock truck so it will be over looked quite easily but will still need to do what I need it to. It has proven itself time and time again as I use this truck on many hunting and fishing trips off the beaten path and the occasional off road park trip to test my mods and to see what it can actually do. Just my .02 of course.

11. Dont

I wont be one of those that would be bugging out... No place to bug out to, if you live where others want to come to... My F250 is a daily driver, and where I drive it can be a chore...

12. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

IH Scout, 1980 with the 6 cylinder diesel. Keep the alternator for now, but have a DC generator as a spare and tested. No electronics, 40 gallon fuel tank, 4 wheel drive. Fuel easy to come by.

Outfit as needed.

Convert the exhaust to a true 3 inch design with the after market adapter that removes the restriction at the exhaust manifold.

Simple, tough, near EMP proof (with the DC generator).

Simple injectors and pump. Start it and it runs without a battery. If you remove the injector pump no one can drive it off. Learn how to time it before you do this.

Got One, I am now replacing the rear end due to a lot of off road time.

Run the most silent exhaust you can.

YMMV

Tully Mars and NotSoSneaky like this.
  13. Dont

Sounds like a tough rig..

14. wastelander

wastelander Bad English, bare with me

I have gotten me a Suzuki sj413. Amazing reliability and easy on the gas, great in the woods but to load the entire family and dogs, nah, I would get a Range Rover or equivalent, larger 4x4. I could pack alot of stuff on my SJ, and fit the kids and the dog and the missus if need be, but you should hear the nag when I squeeze them into the barracuda and that car makes the Zuk look like a shoebox sizewise.

[​IMG]

The BEST BOV would be a chopper I guess? I went for boat myself since I live on a small island.

Sapper John and HK_User like this.
  15. BTPost

IMG_0008.JPG
    I have Zuk, right out front, and if you need more room, get yourself a small Trailer, to pack your stuff in, and make room for the family. My Zuk is one of the two Years, they were imported into the USA. I love driving it in the winter, in 4X4 LowRange, in wast deep snow. Makes a great snowplow....

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  16. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

[​IMG]

Prime8, Tully Mars, Yard Dart and 3 others like this.
  17. wastelander

wastelander Bad English, bare with me

That is a beautiful little tractor you got there! Wish I had gotten a hardtop. Lets get a convertible living in Sweden. Momma would have slapped me.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  18. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

[​IMG] it gets great gas milage, completely EMP proof, no computer to worry about, or to track me, and you can't even hear the engine.
    Downside, the horse power is pretty low, and the brakes suck. Should pass emissions, but lights could be a problem.
    Haven't found a good replacement tire but it's early days yet....

Yard Dart, Tully Mars and HK_User like this.
  19. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Looks like you're gonna need to replace the frame rail, and keep dino out of the seat!

kellory likes this.
  20. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Somewhere in the distance, I keep hearing "Wiiillllmmaaaaaa!":)

I trust those two in the background are just decoys?

Tully Mars and kellory like this.
  1. DKR
  2. Clownbear69
  3. Ura-Ki
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Tully Mars
  7. BenP
  8. the68
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. STANGF150
  11. Motomom34