Best Canned Bacon ?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by HK_User, Jan 26, 2014.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I have been watching this as a source of protein for a while.

Have any tasted and tested the products and if so what brands and what source.

Thank you one and all.

HK

2. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I tried Yoders. Got it off Amazon a few years back. Not bad. I prefer home canned though.

3. HK_User

Thank you, conditions require that I use throw away funds (FRNs) as sourcing a home supply and the work it takes is out of the question for now.

I will also try some of Yodders other meats so any that have used them please respond.

Amazon's prime does not seem to support some canned items so shipping is pretty high.

Canned ham is an item that Prime does does support.

HK

4. ditch witch

Yoders comes out real pretty, not greasy or stuck together. Basically it tastes like you pulled yesterday's leftover bacon out of the fridge. I ran the numbers once and the price was more reasonable than I'd originally thought. The only minus I can really give it is you don't get all that bacon grease.

5. HK_User

I remeber the Bacon of Old. Canned in heavy grease, good food with the extra Lube but a real mess if you did not have running water. The paper it was packed with made a nice fire starter!

I'll try some Yoders.

Thanks

tulianr likes this.
  6. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I really enjoyed a can of Bacon Spam the other day. It had a Brown sugar smoked flavor to it. Not bad at all.

HK_User and oldawg like this.
  7. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I'm saving the bacon grease from the storebought bacon I have. I don't know the shelf-life of it, but I'm keeping it in the fridge. If we ever run out of butter, I could use the bacon grease in place of butter for cooking eggs and such. Plus it would flavor them as well :)

Quigley_Sharps, tulianr and BTPost like this.
  8. ditch witch

I've got a mason jar of bacon grease in the fridge. Pretty sure I filled it over a year ago, down to half full now. It's still fine.

9. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

I just bought ten piglets on Friday, their about 8 weeks old. I butchered the largest about 15 lbs, it was awesome!!
    I want to keep raising 2 of them to keep the meat going. Watched a couple Pig Butchering videos yesterday and I am still
    left with a few questions.
    when you get the meat that's used for bacon off the pig, is that it or do you have to season it, or prep it somehow?

10. ditch witch

Search Youtube for curing bacon or smoking bacon.

Gopherman likes this.
  11. HK_User

Picked some up today. I keep a number of canned meat products and am always looking for more.

We use ours and rotate them FIFO.

YMMV

12. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

We've been canning Rabbit Meat with a pressure cooker. It's awesome!! taste like chicken. Dice it up with onions, celery and mayo,salt and pepper, and you cannot tell it from chicken salad!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7