Best Weapon to Keep on Hand for SHTF/TEOTWAWKI for someone living in the City

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Feb 26, 2017.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Ed, as @tacmotusn suggested, relax and enjoy swinging from the branches.

As a new prepper, get used to the idea that this is something you WANT to do, and will require YOUR participation beyond simply asking questions and getting spoon fed answers. Just like your mother, what you are spoon fed is what the feeder thinks you need, not what you really need. Read first, then ask if anything is not clear.

As many here have found out, you will need a thick skin to take the ribbing and derision that will befall you. The overly sensitive don't hold up well either here or in life; this is NOT a safe space. Yup, you just got lectured.

2. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Thanks for the info

3. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

I have no problem whatsoever in a time where there are no legal ramifications about pulling the trigger at someone trying to break into my home or attacking me. I do have a problem for myself about pulling the trigger when one has to deal with the Courts afterwards. Even though he's a total jerk, George Zimmerman did the only thing he could have done to protect his own life and had to deal with the Courts, Media and the Public afterwards.

I'm not a millennial and it doesn't bother me though I don't appreciate it, getting ribbed/derided,etc., hell I was brought up on the means streets of New York City! What does bother me is if someone insults me for asking a legitimate question. In my opinion there is no need or purpose for that.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2017
    Ganado likes this.
  4. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

[pop]

Tully Mars and chelloveck like this.
  5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Hey dude, sorry if I offended you but the advice stands. Get a bat or some training before you get a firearm; I have seen way too many people end badly by thinking just owning a gun keeps them safe.

6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

A firearm isn't necessarily the most effective go to, self defence weapon; particularly if, at the point of decision, one baulks from using it to defend one's life or one's family. As tempting as it may be in a gun culture, to think that a revolver (or other firearm type) is the universal conflict resolver; it would be foolish to ignore other self defence weapon options. What is the best weapon to use, very much depends upon the circumstances at the moment it is needed.

I concur with others here about chilling out, concerning the perception of being insulted....believe me, (and I speak with some experience of SM), you've experienced nothing that could be considered petal shriveling.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I'll EDGE iN to this conversation for a moment - what you may need are weapons of several types so you can use any available ammo for any situation, like below:

[​IMG]

Not GUNna KID you about this, though, if you are for real and in LA when SHTF all you need is one bullet and that's for yourself.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

To translate from the ozzie, that means enough heat to dry your flowers. (Or to make you uncomfortable and grow some ire.)

9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Actually, the attack Chihuahua is the ultimate self defence weapon!

upload_2017-2-27_8-40-39.

Ura-Ki, Ganado, Oltymer and 2 others like this.
  10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Debarked, naturally. Allowing your guard chihuahua to alert the enemy could be fatal.

Tully Mars, Ura-Ki, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  11. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

+1 on the Remington 870 Express! I bought one when steel shot for waterfowl became the law of the land! I've used it through many years of hunting! It's never failed in any manner! Even when I had to jack the pump extra, extra hard, because sleet was freezing in the receiver and around the magazine tube! I'm fond of saying, "It worked in the frozen duck blind, and I'm pretty sure it will work at my front door!"
    When I retired it it from hunting I added an extended magazine, sling swivel/tube brace and rifle style sights, none very expensive. The Remington Marine Stocks came from a friend on my firearms blog at a very attractive price. It wouldn't be a necessary expense.
    Here it is.

IMG_0191.JPG

BTW, the Rem 870Ex has a sort of parkerised finish, not the most attractive, but I've never had a problem with rust. And, remember, the gun got soaked almost every time it was taken out! Good luck, and get some trigger time in with what ever you buy! Google dry firing a firearm.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'm loading #9 shot in a 45 colt
    I'll probably loose a finger testing this out?

IMAG00653.

Caveman Jim, Ura-Ki, 3M-TA3 and 2 others like this.
  13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

They make Plastic Sabots for those Gator....

14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Got some plastic wads ordered, Right now 4 gr Bullseye and shot weight is 195 gr. Should be a tame load for snakes and such.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  15. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

HMM... a shottie is good but I would think about an m-1 carbine lighter... easier to handle, lighter, better range, etc...

YMMV

Caveman Jim, Ura-Ki and BTPost like this.
  16. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

The British used a lot of .410's when they were fighting in Malaysia during the emergency of 1948 - 1960, the troops that used them in the jungle warfare against the guerillas were impressed with the effectiveness of the cartridge which was charged with several large buckshot.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I have a .36 cal mold, I think I could perhaps drop 4/5 of these in a 410. hull, Should be nasty!

18. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

if you have never handled guns, i recommend a baseball bat, cut off part of the end if you have too for close quarters.

Guns need training, most of the ppl on here grew up with them so its second nature (or had military training) Gun handling needs the mental attitude to go with it as well. I have found very few ppl who have the mental fortitude it takes to pull a gun and mean it when they defend themselves. If you pull a gun and arent willing to fully commit to using it, you will have it taken from you and die from your own gun.

19. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

The one you can hit something with on the first try. Most will not ask for seconds. If I shoot you in the face with a 22 round nose you will not want another.

20. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

For a newbie that has never shot.....I would recommend a Ruger 10-22. No recoil or loud noise to scare you. With the BX-25 mag, you can use it defensively. And it is an accurate survival game getter.

Once you gain firearm proficiency, an AR platform is the way to go IMO.

Good luck as you head down the firearm road.....first off, get proper training...safety first and foremost!!

1. Yard Dart
  2. oldman11
  3. Bishop
  4. AndyinEverson
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Ganado
    Resource