Better news?

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Asia-Off-Grid, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

This may be a bit better news, but still not great.

After getting more blood tests yesterday morning, we learned I am negative for both Hepatitis B and C. We took the results to the doctor so she would have current numbers to work with. She was GREAT!

She is a Filipino doctor, here on a two years contract. Unlike the Cambodian doctor, she explained each test in great detail. She also did not waste our time and money on more unnecessary procedures or tests.

She ordered a sonogram of my abdomen, focusing especially on my liver and gallbladder. Turns out, from the blood tests for Hepatitis B and C, and from the sonogram results, that I have gallstones. Apparently, one is blocking a main bile duct, which is causing both the liver and gallbladder to be enflamed. She said it will require surgery.

She said my liver also has some scarring as well? Not sure from what.

I have an appointment to see a surgeon from England, next Tuesday. She said he will advise us which way to go, to solve this. Apparently, there are two methods he can use, and will discuss them with us during the consultation.

Associated thread

Thanks to all for the thoughts, prayers, and communications.

Hanzo, chelloveck, Bandit99 and 10 others like this.
  2. Asia-Off-Grid

Ya know, I never put much thought into how medical issues could affect me, if SHTF. I think about it a LOT, now.

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The gallbladder swells and sticks to the liver, then when they seperate it tears.
    Gallbladder is probably the same but no one cares since that sucker is coming out.

Medication can break down the stones but about 98% of the time in the US they just take out the whole thing, if you medicate the stones away they can come back.
    I think the operation has less side effects than lomg term medication and no chance of the stones coming back.

4. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I think the diet would work great if the stones weren't doubling you over in pain and had already caused scaring.
    If some how you found out they were there with out causing problems, like during some unrelated xray or ultrasound, diet would be the way to go.

6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Sounds like you’re hitting it on a positive note. Is this the cause of the high blood sugars.

7. Asia-Off-Grid

I was so happy that it wasn't due to Hepatitis, that I forgot to ask. But, she was pretty certain about my Diabetes. So, probably due to my weight, past diet, etc. I am going to see how close to 86 kgs I can get.

8. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Glad you are getting it figured out!

9. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

Praying for you. We have a dear friend who had the surgery and he's a pro golfer, so you know it hasn't harmed him a bit.

chelloveck, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  10. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Talked to my Doctor yesterday and asked about liver scaring. You got me curious so I pulled out the CD with my CAT Scan images and looked at my liver that has some scaring. Doc said it is normal to get liver scars as you get older as your liver changes in size and efficiency with each passing year. LOL it is when it starts looking like semi burnt bacon on the surface that it is not good or normal. Also why before he prescribes anything, he wants blood work to see how well the liver is working in patients over 50 because how a 30 year olds liver processes the medications are much different than how well a 50 year olds liver processes the meds. Also said he empathizes with you because Gall Stones SUCK at multiple levels until they are resolved :) EDIT: LOL also strongly advised that you avoid the VooDoo Witch Doctors that are so common in Cambodia and Thailand the cures are more likely to kill you than the disease ;)

11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Good luck having the gall bladder removed.
    Wife had the operation years ago, You'll have to watch your diet and carry toilet paper with you for awhile.
    It seems diarrhea is a very real side effect but the good news is that will pass after a bit of time.

12. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

The wife had her gall bladder removed and I've a few friends also who had it done. And, yes, removal is the common solution. It is not a big thing anymore and is done with microscopic surgery, easy-peasy. Honestly, it is not a big deal as its common surgery these days, like getting a tooth pulled. Hell, many things, like getting stents into clogged arteries, are so common now that it's simple no big deal anymore, almost a fact of life.

13. Asia-Off-Grid

Brother, medical doctors trained in Cambodia, are likely to kill you when treating you! :eek:

We don't use toilet tissue here, but, I understand and appreciate the advice. :D

Well, now that I am a diabetic, I am concerned about the longer healing time that may be involved. Also, from what I understand, the surgeon should have at least two options to deal with this. Will find out on Tuesday, I hope.

Seepalaces, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Praying for you and your family!

Seepalaces, SB21 and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Malama Pono!

Seepalaces and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Home_gym

I love my home gym!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle_gym

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Ariasmith
  5. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra has life figured out!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
  8. Alanaana
    Media

Thankful

I feel so thankful for my life and each new day.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
  12. jefferson
  13. Alanaana
  14. jefferson
  15. fl4848
  16. hot diggity
  17. HK_User
  18. Motomom34
  19. Gator 45/70
  20. Ganado