Bicycle Camping Stove Advice ...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by vja4Him, Nov 11, 2010.

1. vja4Him

vja4Him Monkey+

I'm looking for a good bicycle camping stove, something with a good windscreen, easy to use, stable (so it won't tip over), light weight.

Has anyone used the Primus EtaPower EF Trail Stove?

2. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

I have not used a primus but I have several stoves that could be used for that very purpose........My first is a msi, pretty much like the primus. they are pricey but very much worth it. can warm a mre in about two minutes. I also have several esbit stoves that use trioxane bars as fuel. they are low cost all you have to do is keep trioxane bars in good supply. most army-navy surplus stores carry them.

3. mrghostwalker

mrghostwalker Monkey+++

There is a nice little Dutch Military Surplus stove that runs on alcohol. It has no moving parts and it's tough as nails.
    I've used one backpacking and it works very well.

4. vegasrandall

vegasrandall Monkey+++

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I use a jetboil almost exclusively when camping or backpacking as I'm mainly carrying Mountain house or other dehydrated food. I do have a back up $39 Snowpeak that is really tiny and runs on the same cans that the Jetboil does. They make a windscreen for it too. I used a MSR Whisperlite international for years before I discovered the JetBoil.

6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I hope these specs for the snowpeak are off... 325 oz's is a lot and 3 feet by 18 inches by 2 inches dosent sound very portable...;)

7. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I use a Whisperlight Internationale. There are more packable (smaller) stoves, but it runs on multiple fuel varieties. If you run out you could pump a pint of gasoline into the fuel bottle and carry on. More pure, higher octane is better, but it will run on kerosene.

I just picked up one of the wood burning pocket cookers. They fold super flat and would be good for a bicycle. Only issue would be that you have to stop with enough time to find firewood. Not a problem if you can think more than 30 minutes ahead. They start fast. I've only tried it once so far. I skimmed enough bark and junk wood from the backyard that it burned cooking hot for a good 30 minutes. You don't have to have an ax to feed yourself with it. Any kind of small wood will work. On average, I'd say about three handfuls will cook most meals. Pack it with grass and a bit of wood on top and light it.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7