Big Cities and the North in general

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Tempstar, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

All big cities suck! Rude people, smell, dense and constant traffic, high crime, dirty, expensive... I don't care what country you are in they are all the same...

2. My brother is a LEO in a suburb. He says that the homeless population keeps migrating into his city. They still prosecute vagrancy laws, etc. It is still easier for them to tell the bums to cross back into the leftist enclaves. He is counting the days until he can retire back to Michigan. He says liberal prosecutors, police chiefs and mayors are destroying the state.

Zimmy, techsar, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I'snt Michigan where that muzzie Tlaib is conspiring to ruin America ?? Get your brother to run for office .

4. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

Retired, and moved from the insanity of Atlanta to East Tennessee where life is more positively intense. The folks around here still drive like a bunch of Damned Yankees though, seems to be a virus in our society promulgated by Hollywood.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I've been to some pretty big cities -
    In Atlanta, the vehicle I was riding in got shot at - nobody got hit but the hole was pretty scary. Las Vegas is Gang Central these days. The list can go on...
    Traffic, crime, pollution etc - all good reasons to stay away from urban centers....

OTOH,
    Other big cities are not so bad - Tokyo, Osaka are nice enough and clean.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Yes, I live in a metro area. I hold no love for the place but is where I am at. On week days I drive on a three lane interstate that backs up every day. I have no desire to spend the rest of my life here and look forward to getting far away from here but this is currently where I live.

Developing a bug in or bug out plan while living on the fringe of a metro area is quite the exercise.

7. Yes, I want to kick the southeast corner out of Michigan. They can be their own state. Leftist politicians already think that Wayne County is the only county in Michigan. He kind of looks like a politician, but he has had enough politics at the police station.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Not a separate state, how about something like what happened to those in Egypt that did not have lamb's blood on their door threshold, only not just the first born.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I drove up I79 through West Virginia last week, that is nice territory! I would love to live out there in the mountains.

oldbee1966, Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I wouldn't blame the north geographically except for the horrible winters.

As a millwright and traveling man, I've worked or wandered in all the states North or East of DFW and most of the other contiguous ones. Country folks are about the same all over and there have been few places I couldn't find a kindred soul to yack with in a country setting.

Big cities are a challenge. I don't care for the filthy human infested cities beyond brief tourism or making money. (I'm admittedly a geek for architecture)

Of the big cities that I've liked I'd probably go with Charleston, SC and the conglomerate of Long Island, NY.

I'm in and from DFW. Traffic and greed have ruined Dallas as a city to live in. Some of the burbs like Weatherford, Ennis, or Granbury aren't too bad yet.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Update: Home now. I left at 3 am thinking I would beat the traffic. Left Glen Burnie and was fine until I got to I-95 and hit the traffic. Didn't get out of traffic and into "cruise control traffic" (where you can actuall set the cruise and relax a bit) until south of Richmond. At 4 am the flow North was a constant sea of cars.
    No offense meant to most of the dwellers. Except when I stopped for a Pepsi and pack of nabs and the fellow in front of me didn't have his money with him for his banana and coffee. I told the cashier I had him covered and the customer quickly told me "Ain't no white M***F*** buying me Sh%t" and walked out. So glad to be home...

oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Well,Now you know who not to help or offer assistance too....Just keep on trucking!

Mountainman likes this.
  13. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I gave $100.00 to a black (friend) because he was in a bind and told him to repay when he got ahead. I’ve never asked for the money back It’s going on three years and I guess he’s still in a bind. He will not return my calls,goes out of the way to keep from seeing me,but he still tells my friends it’s me not calling and I’m the one who’s dodging him. Go figure. Some people you cannot help and I won’t help him again. I guess his friends could not stand him having a white friend. Please let me state I do not look at color when picking friends,I guess I will from now on.I am not a racist I just learned how to pick friends after that.
    [flag]

Zimmy, Mountainman and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

The USA is always being unfavorably compared to other countries, especially in respect to crime, education, gun violence, etc. The biggest difference between countries like Japan, Switzerland, Iceland, Finland, Singapore, etc. and the USA is a lack of freedoms that we take for granted and a much more homogeneous population.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I love cities although I wouldn't want to live in one nor work in one. I live in the country in the middle of 100 acres but I would dearly love a Pied-À-Terre in NYC. I love being there for a week or two a couple times a year. I love Southern cities, Northern Cities, Eastern and Western. There is a vibrance that is as exciting to me as my quiet walk in my woods brings me peace. When I lived in NYC, 5th Ave on the corner of 9th St next to Washington Park, my favorite time to take a walk was around 5am - the city slept as the sun rose with it's pink glow radiating off the buildings and the sound of street sweepers provided a backgound song. I love walking around New Orleans at night, listening to the sounds of Southern drawls and music and smelling the aroma of southern foods and a tall armed southern cowboy beside me. I love Minneapolis during olympic level snow storms and San Francisco when I have flowers in my hair. I love the country for the peace it brings to my soul. I enjoy the smell of newly mowed fall hay and manure in the spring fields. For the most part, life is filled with pleasures where ever we are if we just take the time to appreciate the small wonders of the world.

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. Bunker Bob
  2. ED GEiN
  3. Motomom34
  4. Motomom34
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. AD1
  8. john316
  9. Brokor
  10. Dark Jester
  11. chelloveck