BIG ONE EARTHQUAKE IS VERY CLOSE

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ladrillero, Jun 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Either way it's a win

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

But usually not.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

One of the quakes I have been in had after shocks that were strong enough to bounce cars in a parking lot enough people feared they would hit one another. This particular quake's after shocks went on for weeks afterword.
    The thing about the BIG ONE is that when it arrives it won't be just a shake and it's over ,it will be more like a tedder totter and the opposing person gets off with you up in the air, and a shift of several feet . Any thing not securely anchored will be moved and likely no longer standing .though I have see houses shifted off their foundations . one went sliding down the hill side.
    Then there are fires as a result propane tanks rolling off their pads and breaking loose water heaters falling out of their closets even stoves pushed away from the wall . We had fire places and chimneys falling every where in that little 6.2 we had, and mobile homes flipped on their side in parks .
    Had this occurred in the winter with a good blanket of snow on the roofs things could have been much worse, not only the collapse but most of the population of the area were camping out side for several weeks.
    With the sheriffs department S&R I was tasked with security at the high school guarding a few hundred homeless due to the event . Many of them shared their experiences and damage to their homes .
    While you may not like California in general there are some really good people here too . Having traveled the whole continent I have met my share of despicable scum as well and the rest of the world is nothing to brag about.
    When I was a kid an old man in Massachusetts was pushing me to get hooked up with the mafia like it was normal , the mafia .
    Being from California I had thought the mafia no longer existed . And no one accepted my friendliness on the east coast to be any thing other than a con game, and the perverts there were more obvious than any I encountered in California.
    There are good people and bad every where , no one can control where they live or how they act .
    For all the hatred of California I am pretty sure that `any one sending enough time here will find friends if they are prone to being friendly.

4. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I enjoy the earthquake updates. They provide data points like pixels in a photo image. They may not mean much to me now but one day tied with God knows what else my mind gathers, I might see a picture.

Just thinking about being afoot in a huge parking lot like an amusement park or shopping center when the cars start jumping and moving....do they train y'all to jump on them or run away as best you can?

Motomom34, Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. ladrillero

ladrillero Monkey+

Today at 03:53:02 (UTC) there was a 5.6 earthquake with a 9.6km depth in Northern California. At this depth it is considered a shallow earthquake and it is felt stronger. That is why shake map waves are more intense in magnitude. USGS shake color coded map shows epicenter place had an intensity scale of 6.5M. Strong! Each earthquake wave is different. Sometimes you could feel a strong short shaking or a long rolling movement at this magnitude. The Earthquake Felt report map as how the people reported it goes along the type of soil they are at. Loose soil can shake building for longer time and with more intensity. Several months ago we had a 7.7M at 130km depth. It lasted more than a minute with a long wave movement. I live 600 km away from epicenter. Quake was felt more than a thousand kilometers!

temblor.

temblor 2.

temblor 3.

6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

The problem is that some what regularity people begin to get accustomed to them and may not react correctly if something really serious hits .
    Not to live fearfully but circumspect so that during movement you take a good look around and identify potential hazards at the moment ..

7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Never been in one?

8. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I was in a 4.3 (Edit, probably 3.4 and miss-remembered) Dallas a few years ago. My desk scooted away from my wheeled chair and came back. The ceiling grid squeaked.

That was about it.

That was the perfect way to get an earthquake off my bucket list.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@ladrillero keep posting I enjoy these, I don't say much, just absorbing the info and getting an education thanks! Just ignor the negative Nelsons

oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

[applaud][applaud][applaud]
    Very well said @arleigh one should not judge someone by where they live.
    :5s:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I posted in another place , this morning July4, 2019 @ 10;33 we got a 6.2 160 miles from me. And I felt it .

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. ladrillero

ladrillero Monkey+

This was coming after the seismic cluster in Northern Golf of Mexico. It might be a signal of a bigger earthquake. I said before, we live in a seismic zone and should be prepared. news media report fires and structural damage. On norhtern cal. there was another 6.4M earthquake on the ocean seismic ridge.

temblor 7.

temblor 8.

temblor 6.

13. ladrillero

ladrillero Monkey+

The Mexican seismic agency for Northern Golf of Mexico, RESNOM, reported a 3.7M earthquake 2 hrs. after the California one. some of the movements on yellow circle occurred before the California earthquake. There you see a cluster of seismic activity that is connected by a system of seismic faults running along the mountain sides of both countries. Map of historical earthquakes on colored circles

temblor 9.

temblor 10.

temblor 11.

14. ladrillero

ladrillero Monkey+

LA Times just confirmed what I said today that today's 6.4M could be a signal for a much bigger earthquake.

temblor 10.

15. ladrillero

ladrillero Monkey+

Tv news report on today's earthquake.

16. ladrillero

ladrillero Monkey+

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  17. ladrillero

ladrillero Monkey+

With today's 6m's earthquakes in Northern and Southern California the chances for a big earthquake have gone up. Please be prepared. At this time of the year the temperatures are hot in Southern California and water is a huge concern. There is a water main ruptured due to the earthquake and power outages in several areas. A bigger earthquake will damage a lot of the infrastructure so your area may not have running water or power Do not bet on your neighbor giving you his water supply. Be prepared!

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  18. ladrillero

ladrillero Monkey+

this morning a 5.4M earthquake North of yesterday's 6.4M which is normal. A cluster of smaller quakes has developed SW of Searles epicenter. I have included map of the last two biggest earthquakes with seismic faults.

temblor 4.

temblor 5.

temblor 6.

temblor 7.

techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. ladrillero

ladrillero Monkey+

temblor 5. temblor 5. USGS reported a 6.9M earthquake north of the 6.4M. I said two days ago there was a possibility of a stronger one. Now I say the big one is a lot closer. Today's 6.9M is not it.

temblor 4.

20. ladrillero

ladrillero Monkey+

The seismic activity seems to be moving south closer to the Salton Sea which a place well known for big earthquakes. Image is from CALTECH. temblor 7.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. Brokor
  2. duane
  3. DKR
  4. 3M-TA3
  5. BTPost
  6. Yard Dart
  7. Motomom34
  8. Grand58742
  9. TailorMadeHell
  10. ghostrider
  11. Clyde