1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

BioLite Stove and Pocket filter review-Christmas in February

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by stg58, Feb 21, 2013.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

2 packages arrived yesterday with the BioLite stove and the $211 Pocket filter.

The Pocket filter looks good new and no knockoff with better construction than the Combi filter but my Combi is the Combi+ with extra attachments so having both will be nice.

The BioLite stove looks good not real heavy duty the legs look like they could be easily bent.

I took it out to the garage and started it up with the enclosed starter tabs and it started well not a lot of smoke.
    After it started generating electricity I plugged in my iPhone and it charged but as the fire subsided it stopped charging so you really have to keep the fire stoked to maintain a charge and being a small chamber you have to watch it if charging is your main task.

I like the BioLite the grill attachment did not ship yet but outdoor burger season is not here yet:)
    The Pocket filter is really the Cadillac of filters and will be tested when I go on a bike trip. I could not fault anyone who bought the Combi filter either.

All in all it was Christmas in February....
  2. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

The Biolite really burns well, they did a really good job designing it.
  3. ditch witch

ditch witch resident bacon hoarder Site Supporter+

Does the Biolite put out much heat?
  4. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Inquiring minds want to know; how fast will it boil a liter of water ?
  5. gunbunny

I'm sorry, I can't give any exact numbers; we never timed anything, just test fired it.

The unit will put out a lot of heat if you set the fan to the high setting. You must keep it fed, though.

If you want a lower temp and a longer burn time, set it to the lower fan setting.

Very versitile and easy to use. We never measured the electrical output, but yeah, it will charge a cell phone. I wouldn't expect more than that.
  6. gunbunny

I'll try to geet ahold of the unit again for next weekend so I can do a thurough test burn with it and give you all a detailed review.
  7. stg58

Pellet stove pellets really work well in starting and rekindling a waning fire.
  8. stg58

Just received an email from the Biolite folks on a new product.

Quote from BioLite KettlePot camping Kettle | Cool Material
    The new “pours like a kettle, cooks like a pot” addition is made of stainless and goes on top of the CampStove. It’s got a wind-blocking heat shield for faster boiling and a folding side handle. When you’re roughing it size and space are definitely a concern, but even that’s not an issue because your CampStove will store inside the KettlePot. What will they think of next? (Available this fall)

NotSoSneaky likes this.
  1. marlas1too
  2. phorisc
  3. HK_User
  4. madmax
  5. Brokor
  6. stg58
  7. Evil
  8. CATO
  9. melbo
  10. BAT1
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary