BioLite Stove and Pocket filter review-Christmas in February

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by stg58, Feb 21, 2013.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

2 packages arrived yesterday with the BioLite stove and the $211 Pocket filter.

The Pocket filter looks good new and no knockoff with better construction than the Combi filter but my Combi is the Combi+ with extra attachments so having both will be nice.

The BioLite stove looks good not real heavy duty the legs look like they could be easily bent.

I took it out to the garage and started it up with the enclosed starter tabs and it started well not a lot of smoke.
    After it started generating electricity I plugged in my iPhone and it charged but as the fire subsided it stopped charging so you really have to keep the fire stoked to maintain a charge and being a small chamber you have to watch it if charging is your main task.

I like the BioLite the grill attachment did not ship yet but outdoor burger season is not here yet:)
    The Pocket filter is really the Cadillac of filters and will be tested when I go on a bike trip. I could not fault anyone who bought the Combi filter either.

All in all it was Christmas in February....

2. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

The Biolite really burns well, they did a really good job designing it.

3. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Does the Biolite put out much heat?

4. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Inquiring minds want to know; how fast will it boil a liter of water ?

5. gunbunny

I'm sorry, I can't give any exact numbers; we never timed anything, just test fired it.

The unit will put out a lot of heat if you set the fan to the high setting. You must keep it fed, though.

If you want a lower temp and a longer burn time, set it to the lower fan setting.

Very versitile and easy to use. We never measured the electrical output, but yeah, it will charge a cell phone. I wouldn't expect more than that.

6. gunbunny

I'll try to geet ahold of the unit again for next weekend so I can do a thurough test burn with it and give you all a detailed review.

7. stg58

Pellet stove pellets really work well in starting and rekindling a waning fire.

8. stg58

Just received an email from the Biolite folks on a new product.

Quote from BioLite KettlePot camping Kettle | Cool Material
    The new “pours like a kettle, cooks like a pot” addition is made of stainless and goes on top of the CampStove. It’s got a wind-blocking heat shield for faster boiling and a folding side handle. When you’re roughing it size and space are definitely a concern, but even that’s not an issue because your CampStove will store inside the KettlePot. What will they think of next? (Available this fall)

[​IMG]

NotSoSneaky likes this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. DKR
  3. DKR
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Motomom34
  7. marlas1too
  8. phorisc
  9. HK_User
  10. madmax