Black Sky events - the FedGov looks to game the scenari

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by DKR, Aug 11, 2017.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Recent (overseas) headlines:
    Government agencies prepare for possibility of widespread power outages across the US in so-called 'Black Sky' catastrophes

( http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4779994/Gov-t-prepares-possibility-power-outages-US.html#ixzz4pSddot2G)

Extract of story:
    "Doomsday experts are to run through exercises this month to simulate the possibility of countrywide electricity shortages that would bring the US to its knees.

Titled 'Black Sky' catastrophes, they would see electricity down across the US - whether by human hand or whims of nature - in turn causing the collapse of all connected infrastructure and, potentially, the country.

The only solution to this apocalyptic scenario is improving the country's infrastructure, experts said in DC meetings this week, ahead of the simulation."

These were planned before the latest kerfuffle in the Korea's.

Will anything come of it? Doubtful. The key to improving infrastructure for the grid is to build redundant links and improve existing links. Given the NIMBY crowd, not likely to happen.

Cascading failure of the grid isn't a theory, it has already happened, more than once. Getting it all back on line becomes a real issue in ever growing outage areas. It is possible to live without electric power - for a while. But true, long term, power outage would be both an economic and social disaster of the first stripe.

Thought the article would be of some, maybe limited, interest to the monkeys...

Motomom34, sarawolf, Bandit99 and 5 others like this.
  2. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

If the worst case scenario happens we'll be entering uncharted territory and I have done what I can to mitigate possible issues as much as I can. After that, it's out of my hands and above my pay grade.

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

A good monkey is prepared for an extended power-out situation.
    One problem is, besides our aged and failing grid, is that the manufacturing source for the large power transformers is overseas. If we suffered a huge EMP or similar event, repair would be long in coming.

Zimmy, Motomom34, sarawolf and 4 others like this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Maybe some of the billions wasted by .gov could be used to buy some spare parts... Too bad that transformers can't vote.

6. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Not to mention 12-18 month lead times to build replacements.

Zimmy, oldawg, GOG and 1 other person like this.
  7. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Yeah, but can you imagine how much leverage the manufacture and the country that hosts the manufacturer of said transformers would hold over us?

India could basically get us to do just about anything.

Zimmy and GOG like this.
  8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

One of the joys of the marriage of capitalism with globalism....outsourcing is often the more profitable option....except when...:eek::eek::eek:

Who cares if folk can't get NIKE or GAP anymore....essential resources such as transformers for which there is no local self reliant sources of supply....ahem...:oops::oops::oops:

Tully Mars, GOG and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

they have been updating around my neck of the woods

Zimmy likes this.
  10. chelloveck

South Australia, had a massive power outage in 2016, which caused the majority of the electric supply grid to fail. There are lessons to be learned from that case study in the management of harm minimisation to the electricity grid infrastructure; and for consumer (individual and institutional) survival of the adverse effects of service loss.

2016 South Australian blackout - Wikipedia

SA blackout: Why and how?

AEMO publishes final report into the South Australian state-wide power outage – Australian Energy Market Operator

https://www.aemo.com.au/-/media/Fil...-Report-SA-Black-System-28-September-2016.pdf (20 MB)

11. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

We can have the same issue here.
    We have regional ISOs that once the main interconnects start tripping .. it can start a cascade
    FERC: Industries - RTO/ISO

GOG, Ura-Ki and chelloveck like this.
  12. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

If the grid goes down nationally for any extended period, say several weeks to a month, my guess is so many folks needed to repair it would die in the social chaos that would follow that we probably wouldn't see electric power for many many years again.

Motomom34 and VisuTrac like this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

How do you build large replacement transformers with no power and then what do you do with possibly no way to ship them?
    Just a thought.
    Alight so maybe they are being made in japan and south korea, how does the trucking industry work with no electrical power grid?

14. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

This is one of the major problems I still have to deal with. I will purchase a small, Honda generator this Fall but that will only keep the freezers on-line if we lose power. I still haven't decided what I want to do for major contingency power: diesel, gas, solar or a mix. Now, I wish I would have went and purchased that 10kW military generator (diesel) that was on a trailer a while back. I don't have a place to park it out of the weather yet so I passed on it. But, something like that on a trailer could power most of the house when needed and then possibly do solar for at least the water pump for the 1500 gallon cistern. So, probably a mix of some sort...Yeah, this does worry me but still so much to do and there is only so much time and money but we have come a long ways in just a couple years so...

Zimmy and GOG like this.
  15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If recovery is to happen EPA regs would have to be banished and the need for fossil rules would be all the more import an to get things back on track . Manufacturing would have to develop again here, and means of cooking and heating with wood and coal and oil, more smoke in the air would have to be tolerated.
    Likely the use of horse and wagon to move food ,and goods would be come a necessity.
    When dad was a kid there was a man the sold vegetables on a horse cart , I can see that coming back.
    With out power manufacturing would be slow and expensive, imagine not having the simple electric drill .

Zimmy and GOG like this.
  16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It is my understanding that Direct Injection Diesel Engines, once running will continue to run, without Electrical Power.... So much for the Transformer Hauling issue.... Since Most Transportation will be done by Diesel Trains, and Trucks, moving them, once loaded isn't going to be an issue... Building them certainly will be an issue.... Most installations will need to be done with Diesel Cranes, however...

The other thing that might mitigate an EMP Strike by an Enemy would be, When a Missile is launched toward the Homeland that is thought to be a EMP Device, the .GOV could Preemptively Shut Down the Grid under the area of impact, Open All the Interrupters , and leave the Aerial Lines, that act as Antennas, Grounded, thus Isolating the Transformers, and saving them... Then after we turn the Offending country into Green Glass, bring the Grid Back Online, as required..... This can ALL be done from the Power Distribution Control Centers....

Just a thought...

Zimmy and GOG like this.
  17. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

...unless it is the Power Distribution Control Centers that were targeted. :(

18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

How will something be trucked cross country with no working fuel pumps?

With out communication and logistical support where will the transformers go? Once they get to where they need to be will there be a line crew there to install the transformer? Because the truck driver isn't going to install it.

19. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If the Grid is downed by EMP, then the FEDs will use .MIL to move the supplies, with their MultiFueled Trucks... and they will be bringing their Fuel with them, in Logistics Support Tankers... Just like the Fuel Browsers that fueled the Tanks in Desert Storm... This isn't Rocket Science, the .MIL has a lot of experience moving STUFF, using only their internal Support System...

Zimmy, chelloveck and GOG like this.
  20. chelloveck

There may also be a rebirth of Stanley Steamers, as logistic prime movers on rivers, roads, and rail locomotion...steam driven air logistics may be a little more challenging....perhaps diesel powered blimps? [dunno]

1. john316
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. BenP
  6. Adam_L
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. hitchcock4
  11. SpikeandKari
  12. Asia-Off-Grid