Black Sky events - the FedGov looks to game the scenari

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by DKR, Aug 11, 2017.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

That's assuming military goes to work and are cool with leaving their families to fend for them selves.

Any plan that involves waiting for the government to fix it is a lack of a plan.

2. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

The bad thing about cascading blackouts is most power plants can't start themselves without grid power (black). 15 years ago, ERCOT was pushing huge incentives for Black Start rated facilities that could. Most are aero-derivitive turbines and some are diesels. These are enough to get the big units back online in islands of power that should grow.

Texas now has a good Black Start capability in the event of a cascading blackout.

3M-TA3, Gator 45/70 and T. Riley like this.
  4. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

There are tiny slivers of Texas that are not on the Texas power grid. I live in one.

oldawg and Zimmy like this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You might want to check that out. Black start capability has been part of the rules for a lot of years now. Lots of retrofits under way before I retired from that game.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. aardbewoner

aardbewoner judge a human on how he act,not on look and talk.

May i remind all that live near a atomic powerplant that the need cooling for a long time after shutdown!
    That is why fukushima melted no power no cooling!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

True enough. They DID have backup power, the problem was that it flooded. The designers didn't anticipate a tsunami. That is a different problem than foreseeing a black start. I dare say that tsunamis will get on the designer's checklists.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I wasn't in the beginning years, but what I remember was a huge financial incentive to go black start in that time frame I mentioned. That's when I was in the industry.

Still a lot of facilities declined (including my combined cycle gas plant).

I don't remember the details but I think it was a decision based on being told when you could or couldn't shutdown the facility.

9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I try to maintain a supply of gas and diesel and kerosene and have the capacity to make alcohol and or methane . If I can do it you can do it . buy more gas than you need and put away some . buy more diesel than you need and put away some . Air tight containers work best "no" venting. I use 55 gallon drums. keeping then full as possible as little air space as possible and stabilizer .
    There were people in the 1920's that ran their model A on diesel. they started on gas and switched a valve and it ran on diesel / It smoked but it worked. the difference then gas was .15 cents and diesel was .10 a gallon .may not seem like much now but then a penny was actually worth something.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Ganado and oldawg like this.
  1. john316
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. BenP
  6. Adam_L
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. hitchcock4