BOB's what type do you use?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by BuckBall, Apr 26, 2008.

1. BuckBall

BuckBall Woman Hater

This is more of curious question as everyone has their own types, and ideas. Some use rucksacks, others choose purses or saddle bags. I'm interested to see who uses what. I myself have a Maxpedition Vulture II that is about 2800 cu inch in the car and when I travel via plane and then a Mountainsmith 3.0 circuit that is close to 6,000 cu in. which is my expedition one.

2. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

genuine surplus swiss ruck...( fleet farm $8.00).got to be near 5,000 ci.heavy,but waterproof(?)durable and cheap.

3. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

are the swiss sacks comfortable? I was going along the lines of a medium alice with kidney protection?

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

My Primary BOB is a medium Alice Pack on frame with GI pistol belt padded - not bad for comfort. Carries what I need without overloading me.

I have other rucks for hunting, MC riding, local dayhikes, etc. But when the going gets tough, I go 'GI'!

5. MbRodge

MbRodge Monkey+++

I have an aluminum frame full-on hiker's pack. I tested it out in Yosemite when I was stationed in California. Took two weeks of leave found a campsite and lived out of the pack fairly comfortably. I had two friends with me and we split the weight of the tent. They brought very large back packs filled with canned food and water purification filters. I stuffed mine with dehydrated food and iodine tabs. By the last couple days of the second week EVERYONE was living out of my pack!

6. BuckBall

BuckBall Woman Hater

I prefer civie gear over GI ONLY because the GI gear I have is mostly british and it is heavy. My former all out combat pack was the bergen which was 120 liters, a bit too large for bug out purposes. Plus it has that military look that I don't want since in a time of trouble, anyone looking military could be a target and frankly, I spent time on the front lines and really don't like dodging bullets. I'm getting to old to zig zag.

7. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I havent really setteled on ONE. I have gone through several small backpacks (like book bags) and have a hunting backpack in the truck I can use to assemble a BOB in appropriate to the situation if needed. I have 2 footlockers of stuff plus the shelves on the side of the camper shell and some other stuff in the truck to choose from as needed. I also have a fishing vest that has all sorts of gear in it. I sometimes use a gym bag and am currently trying to figure another system out that will be brought up in a new thread.

So masicly I have a truck loaded out and a backpack ready to be filled as needed and just try to keep the basics (blades, handgun, lighters, some cordage, etc) on me or in my pockets all the time.

8. WestPointMAG

WestPointMAG Monkey++

This is what I use.
    bob.

9. MbRodge

MbRodge Monkey+++

Is that a 3PamChloride injector or a permanent marker in the lower left hand corner WPM?

10. WestPointMAG

WestPointMAG Monkey++

A permanent marker, The pack has some blaze orange on it so the marker is there to cover it up if needed. Also it would be usefull for making breakup lines on my clothing.

11. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Looks like a medievel torture device but its surprisingly comfortable. But there's no waist belt so it "bobs"around a little (and don't pack pokey things near your back). It is heavy,as packs go,bought it as a truck bag because it was rugged and cheap; and I could toss it in the bed and leave my "good" back packing rigs hanging in the basement warm& clean & dry
    pics to follow...getting late...[coffee2]

12. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I keep a Maxpedition pack with a camel-back. Inside, among other useful things, is a Springfield survival rifle/shotgun with the barrel wrapped in parachute cord. I keep magnesium fire starter, a film cannister with petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls, a cable saw, a large folding knife and sharpener, couple of space blankets, a gallon sized zip-lock, a barrel liner, several cylume sticks, a first-aid kit and a surgical instrument kit with sutures, spare socks, a pair of work gloves, a set of rubbers and pouch for a wrist-rocket, a compass, a small pair of binoculars, a gps, two garmin Rihno radios with built-in gps units, spare batteries, a mini-mag light with led bulbs, a toilet kit, wash cloth and soap, a baggy of mixed seasonings, two MREs, a bag of trail mix, some instant hot drinks, a metal cup, couple cans of sterno, a leatherman tool, a digital camera, a waterproof note-pad and pencil, copies of my vital papers, a poncho, a booni cap, a tin of fish hooks, sinkers, and assorted fishing stuff, a folded piece of aluminum foil, small rolls of biodegradable toilet paper, a box of .410 slugs, a box of .410 bird-shot, a box of .22 hollow-points, some halizone tablets, a tube of glucose tablets, a bottle of bug repellent, and a small water filter. The entire load only weighs 34 lbs until you fill the camel-back.

13. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Nice squared away kit . I got few ideas there. thanks.

14. BuckBall

BuckBall Woman Hater

Maxpedition are g2g. My Vulture 2 pack has factory 2810 cubic inches. Added a TT Modular Hydration pouch, then a Kifaru E&E pack, with another maxpedition Proteus versipack and 2 other misc pouches and from my estimates have turned it into a 4200 cubic inch system. Not too shabby and it fits over my TT MAV 2 piece very well.

15. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. BuckBall

BuckBall Woman Hater

What is that coated in?

17. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I didn't add anything its kind ofa "rubberized canvas"pretty water resistant, check fleet farm occasionally.or theoutsdoors catalogs.

Problem: its big and big packs get filled.I too have plastic bins of web gear and " my "camping" stuff". while Packing: I find myself wandering from "what's the barest necessity"( "survival kit"mode )to..."the wool blanket fits be nice to have that..."I think I could take it and walk for about 5days. May have to test it this summer...
    ( I 'ma wuss and don't do well in the cold.)

18. FrancisMarion

FrancisMarion Monkey+++

19. BuckBall

BuckBall Woman Hater

THE Pack is highly sought after for those in the cities. Makes a good BOB for those areas since it low profile, compact, but can hold a heap load when loaded right.

20. BuckBall

BuckBall Woman Hater

Well Tango, if you're such a whus, what you doing in Wisconsin? Go to AZ or Mexico where it's warm. At least your pack isn't latex, would hate to make a smartass comment to the google search of different shaped insertables on a previous thread :lol:

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7