Book Recommendation : Four Season Harvest By Eliot Coleman

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by wildernessgal, Nov 3, 2007.

1. wildernessgal

wildernessgal Backwoods is a callin'

Being a "SURVIVALIST" I always promote knowing, eating, & harvesting wild edibles... Who could say "NO" to something that is all around you, FREE organic/high quality food from Mother's Natures free supermarket!? Good good stuff... and if the S.H.T.F. you've got it all around no matter where the heck life takes ya, ya know!?! But I will also say, that if you are currently "planted someplace" and want to better yourself (or should I say add to the selection/buy less inferior storebought $$$food$$$) and be more self sufficient... I highly recommend the following book:

FOUR SEASON HARVEST By Author: Eliot Coleman

1890132276.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.

Here's some more info. on it below:

Book Description for ISBN 1890132276

If you love the joys of eating home-garden vegetables but always thought those joys had to stop at the end of summer, this book is for you. Eliot Coleman introduces the surprising fact that most of the United States has more winter sunshine than the south of France. He shows how North American gardeners can successfully use that sun to raise a wide variety of traditional winter vegetables in backyard cold frames and plastic covered tunnel greenhouses without supplementary heat. Coleman expands upon his own experiences with new ideas learned on a winter-vegetable pilgrimage across the ocean to the acknowledged kingdom of vegetable cuisine, the southern part of France, which lies on the 44th parallel, the same latitude as his farm in Maine. This story of sunshine, weather patterns, old limitations and expectations, and new realities is delightfully innovative in the best gardening tradition. Four-Season Harvest will have you feasting on fresh produce from your garden all through the winter.

Reader Reviews of Four-Season Harvest

***** Practical, stress free gardening
    2007-10-14
    We love this book. We've practiced what is written in this amazing book for our first garden and were super pleased with the results. Many who have seen our garden are inquisitive about the techniques. My husband is more excited about compost than gardening, this book showed him how to make a great compost pit.

*****Does this book even need another 5-star review?
    2007-10-06
    Even if you don't want to garden year round (if you do this is the only book you need), it's a fascinating and fact-filled read. He tells how to garden more efficiently, how to compost and rejuvenate soil with crop rotation and "green manure" and which direction to plant rows for optimal time in the sun. There are formulas throughout such as how high a retaining wall to build to protect plants from cold (the wall heats up during the day and radiates warmth back during the night), or how many degrees to slant a bed to maximize sun and minimize cold wind damage. He tells how to plan succession planting to have vegetables year round, rather than one humungous crop all at once. His tone is congenial, never talking down or above his target audience. It's fascinating--if you buy you won't be sorry!

*****ORGANIC HOME GARDENER
    2007-08-04
    This book is loaded with dynamite information. I have enjoyed reading it and will certainly make use of the info therein in the future!

*****Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long
    2007-07-15
    Eliot Coleman has combined how-to text with drawings that inform and inspire. Highly recommended reading!

*****Helpful info
    2007-06-28
    I am very excited about becoming self-sufficient in feeding my family of six. This book has extremely helpful ideas that are very cost effective. Highly recommend this book.

----------------------------------------

We've had this book for many years now (since it first orginally came out). Already this year, we've had several frosts, and while all of the goodies are gone from the garden, we've been eating LOTS of fresh greens from our cheap hillbilly greenhouse (which we quickly made/nothing fancy on the south side of our house). Aaaaaaaah, if some guy up in Maine can do it.... so can everyone else, if they REALLY want to! :)

Happy EATING & READING (<--if ya decide to get this outstanding book)!!!!
    Also, have a GREAT DAY/WEEKEND everyone!

Sincerely,
    Wildernessgal

2. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Thanks for posting.I need all the help I can muster in that area[beer][beer]

3. wildernessgal

wildernessgal Backwoods is a callin'

You're so very welcome Tango3... are you admitting that your "thumb isn't as green as it could be?" If so, it's not hard especially if you really want to eat good healthy nourishing foods which will boost your immune system. (<-- No we aren't veggie-heads/LOVE MEAT too!lol) My family & I don't like being sick & practice a lot of "preventative medicine" You'd be amazed by how much "DIET" affects one's health. But anyway (back to the subject of gardening--->) I guess for me maybe it's been a wee bit easier as back in the 70's when I was a little girl my very best friend was a 70+ year old writer/master gardener. She inspired me in more ways than one/taught me much and I truly miss her even today.... :(

I LOVE gardening, harvesting wild edibles, and etc... If ya ever have a question or whatever.... feel free to send it this way & I'll do my very best to help! :)

Time to fly... as I need to get back to work in my "hilbilly greenhouse" (watering) and harvest some fresh goodies for a salad tonight with my homemade vinegar/dinner. Mmmmmmm!

~Wildernessgal~
    (who has a super-green thumb he,he)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7