BOOTS : All Things Boot Related Thread

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Brokor, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Rocky Road Lerp

Rocky Road Lerp Monkey+++

IMG_20150825_141827310_HDR.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2015
    Ganado likes this.
  2. Rocky Road Lerp

Rocky Road Lerp Monkey+++

My Irish setters get it done in all weather.

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Just purchased a new pair of boots. I had been following protocol and shopping in the women's department but I really didn't want purple boots. I ended up purchasing Men's Merrill Moab hikers & love them. They are light and flexible plus if you have narrow feet you can tighten enough to secure your foot. The sole has the grip that I need but can still flex. I was concerned about the venting but so far I feel like my feet will stay warm in the winter. The ankle support is not 100%. There are no areas that poke or rub ones feet to cause discomfort and they are light enough to run in- yes, you can run without feeling like you are in clunky boots. The padding is decent and has odor control so if you slip them on without socks your feet are still comfortable.

DSCN0951.JPG

Merrell Men's Moab Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot | Amazon.com

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2015
    HK_User, Hanzo, Tully Mars and 4 others like this.
  4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Excellent boots IMO..... pretty much all I use for day to day use most of the time. [chopper]

HK_User, Ganado, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Just received the Whites Boots catalog. For those who wonder why the warranty is great then you need to order the catalog and understand that you truly get what you pay for.

Point in fact, have you ever bought a pair of boots that are built to fit not only each foot but each calf?

Prices start around $400.

BlueDuck, Ganado and Tully Mars like this.
  6. PLA

PLA Monkey++

I have to agree with Whites

I have a pr of 10 inch smokejumpers, love them and irritate the local mangers here when Im wearing them.

For general wear I like the Loggers from Georgia Boot. Usually around $90 on sale and no I don't worry about waterproof or insulated. I live in Az, it doesn't rain here ( not)

Stop fooling around with the faddish shoe treatments and get Huberds shoe grease

HK_User and BTPost like this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

How are these on wet rocks and mud? Also, how are your feet after going on rocky terrain?

HK_User likes this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Curious how these are too, @melbo. Used to take fishing tabis on wet hikes.

9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I generally like Merrells too.

HK_User and Motomom34 like this.
  10. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Our needs have changed as our campsite is in NE GA snake country. As the terrain is steep a good leather boot and snake gaiters are on the shopping list.

HK_User likes this.
  11. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Have you noticed how the quality of Ropers have gone down the crapper? Same thing seems to have happened to Dan Post boots as well. My current everyday boots are Durangos.

For hiking and such I've been using Hi Tech Altitude IVs for the last few years.. They fit my wide feet better than most, including the newer Altitude Vs...so I am reading this thread with interest looking for a replacement.

Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  12. chimo

I can't handle Merrells...their wide sizes aren't near wide enough for me.

13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I have noticed that. I always get their wide hikers, and in no way do I normally buy wide.

HK_User likes this.
  14. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

With wide feet issues, I would suggest the Merrell's..... I wear them daily!!
    Moab Mid Waterproof

HK_User likes this.
  15. chimo

your feet must not be as wide as mine...I bought a pair of 14Ws from Amazon and had to return them because they were too tight.

The one advantage of having boats for feet is that I don't need skis for water skiing. :D

16. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

I have had five pairs of Whites since 1970. Id say they are pretty hard to beat. They are made in Spokane, Washington and its only 30 miles from where I live. I have had all of mine custom made for my feet. I tend to have wide feet and run the heals over, on higher healed boots. The people at Whites measured my feet and wedged the heel at no extra charge (at least at that time). $97. was a ton of money to pay for boots back then. They fit great and lasted longer then anything else I ever tried. When they ware out they can be rebuilt for about half the price of new. As time went on the price increased, but no more then anything else, and you still get what you pay for.

Tully Mars and HK_User like this.
  17. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Whites are da sheite. I completely forgot about them until you mentioned them. A kid I knew in high school, his dad had a boot store and sold Whites. Measured everything about my feet and sent it off. Great work boots. I finally wore them out but by then was no longer in the northwest so I've not had another pair.

HK_User likes this.
  18. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I have extra wide feet (EE), and I can tell you that even buying shoes, let alone boots in my size just plain sucks. Every frikkin shoe store on the planet, online or otherwise, follows the same merchandizing practices to maximize profits which boils down to "if you aren't in the third that's in the middle of the foot size bell curve, then eff you". If I am lucky enough to find something that fits it's also expensive. I ran across xlfeet.com today, and not only do they have hiking boots to 6E, you can get tactical boots to 4E. Prices aren't bad, either. For me, this is a huge godsend.

Large Tactical Boots of Sizes Ranging 7-17 up to EEEEE - 5E Wide at XLFeet.com
    Men's Large and Wide Hiking Boots | Sizes Available 7 to 18 and Wide to 6E| XLFeet

There are a lot of other specialty boots as well, from police to fire, etc., just scroll down to the bottom of their page for a list of what they carry. No affiliation, but I sure wish I had thought of this first.

HK_User likes this.
  19. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

We've all got hiking or some type of combat boots, right? Well, even if some of you don't, then you probably have something more civilian but it is mass produced and for one reason or another, it suits your needs. What about a pair of hand made boots? I'm talking about a full, 360 Goodyear welt, top grain leather shoe or boot. And what about a custom, made to order (or if you can afford it, bespoke) pair of hand made boots?

If you think about it, we spend much of our time in the civilian life, going day to day from work to home and out on the town anyway. Those Danner hunting boots may be quite handsome in the field, but not so useful in the office or when you're out shopping. No matter how you live, there's a need for a comfortable pair of quality footwear that will truly fit your feet. Please allow me to introduce you to the world of hand crafted leather footwear. It's true that it is expensive to own a pair of boots that are hand made. But, since 2014, the Thursday Boot Company has been making exceptional hand made footwear, and you can get a nice pair of Thursday Captain boots for around $200. Some of you may think that's a lot, but it really isn't for a Goodyear welted boots. Website: Captain | Brown

A step up in the category, there's Tricker's of England. The longest established shoemaker in England, and located in the cradle of shoemaking itself in Northampton, Tricker's has been making quality footwear since 1829. At the time of this posting, they are having a 40% off sale on some popular footwear: Tricker's | The Official Website | The Original Handmade English Country Shoes and Boots

DSC00098.JPG
    DSC00096.JPG DSC00097.JPG DSC00101.JPG
    Shown above is the Tricker's Stow Country Boot in brown. It has a Dainite sole and full Goodyear welt. When laced correctly, the boot should fit your foot perfectly. Typically, with a made to order and bespoke boot, the laces ought to be straight across and the tongue shouldn't show, nor the laces underneath. Break in time varies, but these boots feel great right out of the box, with only the ankle area being the tough part to break in. After the break in period, they ought to feel much like slippers. These boots can be worn in a casual sense, or with some fancier attire given the suit setting fits. These plain country boots can hold a high shine, or weather nicely for a full country appearance. The best part is, if cared for properly, these boots can easily last your entire lifetime, and if the sole wears out you can send them in to the manufacturer, or any cobbler to have them resoled for around $125.00
    It's important to note that with UK sizing and the last used, a full size down from U.S. sizing is recommended.

Ganado, Tully Mars and HK_User like this.
  20. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I have a pair of hiking boots with Vibram soles that I got when I was in college 40+ years ago, and I wear them whenever I go hunting, hiking or the weather gets bad (snow & ice). I have no idea what brand they are, but they are still in use today. I recently got a similar pair of Wolverines, and I also have a pair of steel-toed work boots.
    If you are wearing heavy and/or steel-toed boots you are never unarmed!

HK_User likes this.
  1. RouteClearance
  2. OlDiceGames
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. Prepsteader13
  8. Alanaana
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Alanaana
  11. Dunerunner