BPA in canned foods?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by chimo, Apr 7, 2016.

1. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Toxic BPA Is Still Hiding in Many Popular National Brands of Canned Food

• Our analysis showed that, across the board,
    canned food manufacturers both large and small
    are not making good on their promises to discontinue
    use of BPA.

• In the samples we tested, 100% of Campbell’s
    cans (15 out of 15) contained BPA-based epoxy,
    even though the company claims to be making
    significant progress in its transition away from BPA.

• 71% of sampled Del Monte cans (10 out of 14)
    tested positive for BPA-based epoxy resins.

• 50% of sampled General Mills cans (6 out of 12,
    including Progresso and Green Giant) tested positive
    for BPA.

• Although fewer cans were tested for these
    large companies, all 3 cans from McCormick &
    Company (Thai Kitchen) and all 3 cans from Nestlé
    (Nestlé Carnation) contained BPA-based epoxy.

• All of the cans sampled from 5 smaller brands
    also tested positive for BPA-based epoxy: Empire
    Company Limited (3 out of 3); Goya Foods (2 out of
    2); Ocean Spray Cranberries (2 out of 2); Thai Agri
    Foods (2 out of 2); and Vilore Foods (2 out of 2).

• Although Campbell’s, McCormick and Nestlé
    have indicated their intentions to transition out
    of BPA use by 2016 or 2017, survey responses
    from Del Monte Foods, General Mills, Hormel and
    J.M. Smucker Company did not indicate a goal or
    timeline to move away from BPA can linings.

• But not all the news is bad:
    • Amy’s Kitchen, Annie’s Homegrown (recently
    acquired by General Mills), Hain Celestial
    Group and ConAgra have fully transitioned
    away from the use of BPA and have disclosed
    the BPA alternatives they’re using. No
    BPA-based epoxy resins were detected in any
    of the cans tested from these brands.

• Eden Foods reported eliminating the use of
    BPA-based epoxy liners in 95% of its canned
    foods and stated that it is actively looking for
    alternatives. No BPA epoxy was detected in
    the Eden canned foods that were tested.

See the full Report for more testing results. (PDF)

Apparently Campbells has committed to removing BPA from its canned goods by 2017.

My issue is, what do I do, if anything, about the hundreds of cans of soups, chili, beef stew, hash, spam, veggies, fruit, etc. that I already have? Keep rotating and eating the old cans? Toss or donate the old cans and pretty much not stack cans until BPA-free cans come out?

I am leaning towards just continuing to eat and replace as we already are...maybe avoiding some of these brands when replacing items. I've probably been eating/drinking BPA for my entire life...so what's a little more in my golden years, right? Post SHTF, I don't think anyone is going to turn down a meal either.

I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on the matter.

marlas1too, stg58, Bandit99 and 2 others like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The report funding sources clearly have an agenda. That, to me, casts some shadows over the results they report.
    That said, they may well be right. I have to think that if the current regulations were completely off the mark that even the alphabet agencies in charge of the food supply would have tightened things up. That the mfrs are moving away from (par ex.) BPA may also be a good thing IF it isn't just a marketing effort that will cost more in the longer haul. In other words, I'm not changing my habits, and will continue to eat stuff in the pantry regardless of when it was packaged. YMMV.

stg58, kellory and sec_monkey like this.
  3. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

I have no particular clue about this other than what I quick glanced. Before going all nervous about it, first you have to understand it. BPA It's been in use since 1957. It's an organic synthetic compound. It's used to make certain plastics and epoxy resins. It is also a synthetic estrogen. 78 different brands have used it to line their cans. My summation, I would not throw out good food because of a marketing scare tactic. We all know it is healthier to eat home canned foods, though I don't see the risk of health problems due to BPA all of a sudden cropping up. Remember... "Eggs are good for you." "Eggs are bad for you." "Eggs are good for you again." Just my two cents.

Tikka and Aeason like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Of course you should keep eating them. Toxins are everywhere. This is just one area in which you are being poisoned. Just eat and rotate out but I think very few truly live a toxin free life.

Ganado likes this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

BPA used in the actual container itself is one thing, but I think the exposure from BPA in the glue seems to be less significant. Not optimal, but less significant. I personally am not worried about it, but since you should be eating your oldest stores first in time you will eliminate them.

oldawg and Ganado like this.
  6. Georgia_Boy

Georgia_Boy Monkey+++

I've yet to see big-biz or .gov do anything truly proactive for the consumer. Is the "replacement" glue any safer?
    I agree with others that I'll continue to eat my investments. We actually have graver concerns in this life today.
    GB

TailorMadeHell likes this.
  7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Remember the coffee is good for you, coffee is bad for you? After a few years of that, I said the H with it and continued to enjoy my morning coffee.

Ganado, Bandit99 and TailorMadeHell like this.
  8. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

True Tikka. One minute something is good for you and the next it's bad. I can sell you a banana at 49¢ or an organic banana at $1.10. The only thing changed was the label. Now if you say no pesticides were used in the growth, that's another story. Though you can label anything as good or bad for you if you grease the right palms. I remember in Commifornia everyone was saying being a vegetarian was healthy for you, then people started getting Ebola from the lettuce and other vegetables. What a benefit. No cholesterol but you may die from Ebola. And the biggest set of crooks? Bueller... Bueller... That's right, the FDA. Federal Death Administration. Where you can eat from a can under regulations that may poison you, but not raise livestock not under regulations. Makes sense to me.

9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

FACT: BPA is an endocrine disruption chemical. It is a synthetic estrogen mimicker. Hormonal disruption or imbalance leads to infertility, sexual and gender identity problems, diabetes, and even cancer. It is used in most plastic bottles, the inner linings of beverage and food cans, inks for store receipts, printers and paper money, and some cosmetics and clothing apparel. Even the CDC reported in 2004 that BPA has appeared in the urine of over 90% tested. This was a cross sectional study limited to under 3000 tested. Though the CDC presumed this indicated a widespread BPA presence in the entire population, they refused to say BPA was toxic. However, several scientists and health professionals have discovered and confirmed BPA's health hazards over the past decade. So far, the FDA hasn't done anything about it. Canada was the first nation to ban some BPA products in 2010, and some EU nations have followed that lead. -link-

Here are the nutrients that can reduce or eliminate BPA toxicity from your body:

* Bifidobacterium 3
    * Bifidobacterium Breve
    * Lactobacillus casei
    * Bacillus pumilus
    * Melatonin (helps you sleep well too)
    * Probiotics
    * Black Tea
    * Fermented Foods and Beverages (try making your own kefirs)
    * Kimchi (a Korean fermented food)
    * Quercetin
    * Royal Jelly
    * Folic Acid (folate is the best source)
    * Genistein (a supplement)

These have been discovered or confirmed by at least one in vitro (lab glass) study or in vivo (animal/human) study. A few have been covered by more than one study.

The most commonly tested items are specific probiotic strains, such as the first four listed, or probiotics in general and fermented foods. So obviously whatever supplies probiotics in high numbers is critical. If you buy probiotic supplements, you can see which bacteria strains are available on the labels.

There are ways to create fermented foods and milk kefir (raw milk is ideal) or water kefir (with purified water). You'll have to search the internet for those sources. Or if you are in or near a network that cooperates with providing kefir starter grains, look into that. It's the least expensive route for consuming lots of probiotics.

Antibiotics destroy all kinds of bacteria, including the good guys or probiotics. Avoid pharmaceutical antibiotics as much as possible. But beware of taking in antibiotics indirectly through factory farm meats and non-organic dairies. Factory farm livestock are injected with antibiotics to prevent infection from overcrowded and unsanitary conditions.

Apparently, the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) has decided to investigate into the dangers of BPA because of public reaction to numerous independent tests conducted internationally. http://www.naturalnews.com/033330_EPA_BPA.ht...

Don't hold your breath for the EPA. Be proactive and take action yourself.

Sources for this article include:

http://foodfreedom.wordpress.com/2011/10/20/...

(VIDEO) http://www.infowars.com/bpa-death-by-plastic...

http://www.naturalnews.com/033211_BPA_curren...

Degradation of bisphenol A by Bacillus pumilus isolated from kimchi, a traditionally fermented food. - PubMed - NCBI

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/disease/bispheno...

stg58 likes this.
  10. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Darn it, I new we were wrong and growing our own. Guess we will go on a low BPA diet..

11. chimo

@Brokor mmmm kimchi...second on my list of favorite foods to the Filipino balut!

Ganado and Brokor like this.
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Brokor likes this.
  13. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Oh come on you eat fresh eggs and dead chickens and duck, a balut is just somewhere in the middle of that, and it's pickled...

Rancher

14. chimo

that describes me to a tee the first..and only time I ate one...well pickled!

azrancher and Ganado like this.
  15. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

I've never had the chance, I probably would have done it, I ate lots of "stuff" in Japan and Korea that I think were dried sea creatures, but not really sure what... squid?

Rancher

16. chimo

I was never sober enough to know which country I was in...so squid-on-a-stick, dog-on-a-stick, monkey-on-a-stick, same-same.

Ganado likes this.
  17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

"Try this," she said. So I did, not bad. "What is it?" I asked. "Not telling," she says, "you won't like knowing."
    She and I had that conversation many times. Nothing that walks, crawls, swims or flies is safe in SEA.

kellory and oldawg like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7