Bug Out Bag Mistakes..You Might Have Made

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Dec 13, 2013.

1. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

It's still beautiful. I would hug it and pet it and stroke it and kiss it, and I would name it George.

The lack of natural water around here would mean that pretty blue tarp would draw attention like a naked woman in church. One man's ideal BOB is another one's backside bullseye.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  2. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Don't overload yourself with water when a filter will give you hundreds of gallons or tabs will purify many. Keep it simple but thoughtful---then go out and use it to make sure. W/O practice you are just hoping and will assuredly make mistakes. Mistakes in the wrong place/time may cost you more than you can afford.

Brokor, oldawg, ExHelot and 1 other person like this.
  3. ExHelot

ExHelot Monkey

The ALICE kit looks almost identical to mine and I feel like it could be trimmed down due to encroaching feebleness upon this old vessel. On the other hand, when I was young, dumb and full of .....I could have gotten along with much less just due to the level of fitness and general vigor I had. The only lesson I can derive from that is ..........there ain't no justice.

4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

LOL
    Alaska has lots of 'wild' water. Some of it is even safe to drink - unfiltered.

This is a local lake that we camp and fish at in the summer.

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

We have our BOB's that are packed in case we need to leave. My eldest has been hiking alone (small day hikes) and I asked him what he carries besides water. Well, last night we pulled out the BOB and I asked him, "If you fell and broke your leg what would you need till help came." It was interesting to watch him sort through and put together a day trip BOB.

6. ditch witch

This is the local lake we used to camp and fish at in the summer. Or at least, that's how it looked in 2010, when it was still at 1% capacity. Now it's just a few puddles.
    1percent. Meredith.

Needless to say, water purification tablets and keys to area water towers are in our BOBs.

7. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

Sorry, this may be a regional thing: "keys to ... water towers"?

William Warren

8. ditch witch

I'm a state licensed water operator and have worked for several of the area municipal water systems, as well as in local government. I have keys to everything... including over a million gallons of potable water and the wells that supply it. ;)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    Yard Dart, chelloveck and kellory like this.
  9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency, State Agencies and other alphabet organizations forced Polar Pure to remove their product from the market some time in 2011. Apparently, the spread of crystal meth has raised the alarms enough to have this wonderful product taken off the shelves. To date, it remains the very best and safest water treatment I have ever known...

ppure1.
    POLAR PURE
    It's shelf life is indefinite, and all you need to do is fill with water and give it a shake. You can keep refilling the bottle until the iodine is used up. The small bottle weighs next to nothing, and the crystals will not fall out due to a stopper in the bottle top. I am glad I have a few bottles in storage. I will normally filter my water, but a safe treatment solution is a wonderful added protection to have. You can still purchase iodine crystals on the market, but it's buyer beware.

10. DKR

I used to carry iodine tabs for water treatment, then I found this
    Source

The ability to control water-borne diseases is critical for soldiers, hikers, and others who may need to drink directly from an outdoor source. Water-borne protozoan parasites that are specifically of concern are Giardia and Cryptosporidium because of their resistance to halogen disinfection.
    The purpose of this study was to determine the effectiveness of iodine tablets against Giardia and Cryptosporidium under general- and worst-case water conditions that might be found in the field. Giardia cysts and Cryptosporidium oocysts were exposed to iodine according to manufacturer's instructions (two tablets/L = 13-18 mg/L for 20 minutes). This dose inactivated 3-log10 of Giardia in general-case water and pH 9. In worst-case water, however, only about 35% of cysts were inactivated at pH 5. Fifty minutes were required to achieve a 3-log10 reduction at pH 5. Cryptosporidium oocysts were more difficult to inactivate.
    Only 10% were inactivated after a 20-minute exposure to iodine according to manufacturer's instructions; even after 240 minutes of exposure to iodine only 66-81% oocysts were inactivated. These data strongly suggest that iodine disinfection is not effective in inactivating Cryptosporidium oocysts in water.
    Because this organism is common in all surface waters, it is recommended that another method of treatment be used before ingestion.

Iodine has been banned in the EU for water treatment as well.

The USDA take on this for the US Army.

I normally boil water, where possible and use chlorine dioxide for treatment when the stove isn't possible. Here in Alaska, Crypto is a real issue, it may not be in all areas, but it worth looking at for the area you will be taking surface water.

11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

One reason to use Rain Water off the Tin Roof, and then run it thru a very Good Set of Filters, (1 Micron and Activated Charcoal) and finally thru a UV Radiation Tank......

chelloveck and VisuTrac like this.
  12. padkychas

padkychas Monkey+++

sawyer has a very good choice of lightweight filter systems that can be back flushed to clean. Now rated for a MILLION gallons of water.
    Sawyer® Products - Water Filtration, Insect Repellent, Sunscreens and More
    pixel.

the $25 price is better than most filters replacement elements.
    it is threaded for the common 2 litter soda/larger water bottles so you can use the filter only for gravity feed from one to another.

I have used the MSR mini water works ex for years and it is a $90 very good filter, about 300 gallons for a $40 filter element.

13. DKR

FWIW - the soda bottles are a 'standard' 22mm, found in more than just soda bottles.

I also rock the Sawyer, both kinds.

14. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I don't use iodine tablets. And I mentioned I filter and use iodine only as a reserve since it has perpetual shelf life. Thanks for the information, I was aware of it, but it's always good to share this with others. I personally dislike water treatment and will resort to boiling if necessary before treatment.

ghrit likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7