Bug out kit

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by E.L., Aug 6, 2005.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'ld also be glad to help with any info I can and there is a related thread on the 'back to basics' page that may give another prospective.

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I made a few of these general kits and gave them out. Here is a look at them.
    bug_out_kit_1__medium__146. bug_out_kit_2__medium__141. bug_out_kit_3__medium__122. bug_out_kit_4__medium__644.

3. monkeyman

Whats the brass thing toward the center of the table?

4. E.L.

It is a window punch. I thought it would be a good idea in case you had to get out, but couldn't get the window open or door open. We keep them in all of our vehicles. I got them from Galls. www.galls.com.

5. monkeyman

Ah, ok. I dont worry so much about that since I have the old manual crank type, figure if it comes down to it and that dont work grab the hunting knife from the glove box or better yet the shotgun from behind the seat, if the 20 guage wont open it then Im just screwed. :D
    Cool kit though.

6. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Harbor freight has them for like 2.99.

7. monkeyman

Cool, yeah I mean especialy if you have power windows they would be a real good thing to have...as long as you make sure the kit is in the front and not in the trunk, or at least that particular item is.

8. E.L.

We keep ours in the side pocket of the door, easy access.

9. monkeyman

lol Yeah, just had to mention it since I know its common, and Ive been known to do it on things myself, to have just the tool you need but you keep it some place that its useless if you need it, like a tire plug kit in the tool box that got left at home. :shock: [peep] :D

10. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

That looks pretty complete EL

11. E.L.

Except for the food part. I really should buy some MRE's and put at least one in each pickup.

Coffee might be a good idea too. [cof]

12. monkeyman

I didnt notice, were there any water purifying tabs or a filter bottle or anything along those lines to make pond water decent to drink? Since the cord is there then as long as you know how to set snares and dead falls the meat can be taken care of, if you have room for a film can or what ever some treble hooks could add a lot for that. They make about the simplest trap of all for small animals as well as fish in an EMERGENCY situation (as far as I know it would be illegal any place in the US but would beat starving) you can tie a trebil hook to a limb so it would hang a few feet from the tree and ground then put any bait (even some tin foil for shine and curiosity) on it and wedge it lightly into the bark and let the squirls get hooked and fall off the tree fighting it and hang out in the air untill you collect them. Same would work (though maybe not AS well) for rabbits and such on the ground. So the food thing is at least provided for with the tools to get the meat as well as what you can forage.

13. E.L.

I actually used an old prescrip. bottle (well cleaned) to put hooks in. I didn't have a water purifier, or the tablets, but I do need to add them.

1. JC Refuge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. 3M-TA3
  8. Motomom34
  9. Tully Mars
  10. Motomom34
  11. GOG
  12. phorisc