Bug out pod

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by slug36, Jun 12, 2012.

Tags:
  1. slug36

slug36 mil surplus junkie

So, a couple of years ago I spotted one of these Tear Drop campers online.
    and the PITA of living on the Gulf Coast in Texas during hurricane season.

Having evacuated 4 or 5 times in the last 7 years has brought up some problems. Mainly finding lodging while thousands of other people are doing the same.

I had a pop up camper before September 2008. But, Ike came in and pushed 6' of water into our house and the pop up camper.

Well, as you would know. I still have the camper and plan on useing the frame as a base for a 4-6 person tear drop camper.

The 2 + 2

TailorMadeHell likes this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You do, of course, realize that progress pix will be needed?

TailorMadeHell likes this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

[worthless]

oldawg and TailorMadeHell like this.
  4. slug36

slug36 mil surplus junkie

yes, I have yet to start. hopefuly in the next couple of months. I am still trying to finish up on the rebuild of our house. We had a fire back in the begenning of December and are about 90% finished with that....

But, I am itching to get going on this thing.

5. Michigun

Michigun Monkey

Here's the little bug out "pod" I made a couple of years ago. I bought the 5'x7' trailer for $325 from a guy out in the country, then spent a week cleaning, de-rusting, and re-painting it. I put new wheels, tires and wheel bearings on it, then spent about 3 more days making the "box". It's light, stiff, quiet, waterproof, and it pulls great, even at 70-80 mph. I mounted it to the trailer with heavy-duty rubber pads at all contact point, and used all stainless hardware. The finished trailer weights around 650 lbs., and can probably carry another 500 lbs. of cargo without any problem. I've got a newer, powerful little german car that I pull it with, and you wouldn't even know the trailer was behind the car.
    IMG_0539.

6. Michigun

Michigun Monkey

Not shown is a very heavy steet gate that mounts behind the rear swinging doors of the box. It fits tightly to the wooden doors of the trailer, provides extra security, and ensures that a heavy load won't bust through the rear doors in the event of an impact. IMG_0540.

7. Michigun

Michigun Monkey

One could of course camp in it in a pinch too. I've been thinking of adding two little camper windows to it, as well as wiring the interior for 12v lights. It's got a vinyl floor in it now, but I could put in a 2 inch polystyrene floor covered with indoor/outdoor carpet at any time. I've got all of the usual marine batteries/inverter, cabling, etc. all stored away, and could throw it all in the trailer in minutes.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Is there a reloading setup in there as well? Inquiring minds want to know...... Just ask'en..... YMMV....

9. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

Inquiring minds sure are nosy! But sometimes they have good suggestions!

10. Michigun

Michigun Monkey

Nope, no reloading bench inside. I built this with the idea in mind that I might someday have to make a mad dash to my BOL on very short notice. I wanted something that I could throw 500-600 lbs. of ....ummm....equipment in, and get out of Dodge, but I also wanted something that could double as a temporary shelter once I got there. I should probably wire and insulate it while I have the chance. Maybe install those camper windows too...

11. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

If you plan to camp in it, a roof vent with fan would be good - trailers get hot and stuffy in summer weather! I intend doing similarly with my 5X10 open trailer - it has a steel mesh ramp, and I will use it as a "Toy Hauler Travel Trailer". Gotta be able to carry the enduro bike along, and have a cot and basic camping gear inside. The "Tiny Trailers & Teardrops" forum site has a lot of good ideas to consider. Though I have camped several times inside my Grand Caravan - just wish it had better ground clearance and maybe 4X4!

oldawg likes this.
  12. Michigun

Michigun Monkey

Yep, I agree - a roof vent is a must.

13. lchurch

lchurch Monkey

If you are planning to sleep in there, you might want to think about ventilation. When sleeping in an enclosed area, lots of moisture is generated. Windows (one in the front and one each side) would allow you to see what caused that "bump in the night" and a roof vent or two would keep the interior cooler.

I'd reinforce the roof (so you could stand on it) and add a roof rack and a couple of opening "sun roofs" to access the rack. With the roof rack, you could add a Thule Rack box to store odds and ends. On wharm nights ons could sleep on the roof.

larry

14. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

I recently traded into a teardrop camper,4x8,2 doors,2 windows,roof vent.Power strip installed in the galley for plugging in electricity,couple of battery operated lights inside and a small 110 volt fan that doesn't move much air.I put a battery tray on the tongue and will run wires to the back to power a fan and lights if need be.Soon as the weather cools off it'll go to the woods for a shakedown cruise.

15. PAGUY

PAGUY Monkey

I have seen a few I these teardrop trailers used as bug out trailers and they seemed to work well. Just remember that space is limited more than a conventuals tow behind.

16. EDCraziness

EDCraziness Monkey

Ive been wanting a tear drop trailer for awhile but this makes me double think that. Im thinking I could build my own with better insulation and save about 4K bucks.

However, what would be the best "affordable" material for the walls? Plywood seems easiest but I don't think there is a way to make that work in regards to rain/snow.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

17. PAGUY

PAGUY Monkey

Plywood works just make it weather resistant.

18. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Go to teardrops and tiny travel trailers and join the forum. You will find more info than you can use including several plans and a load of how to pics. Great bunch there and they don't mind questions from noobs. (sounds like another forum we know right?)

19. PAGUY

PAGUY Monkey

Just looked at that forum and I second that suggestion.

20. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

TNTTT is a great forum (Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers).I've found so many good ideas there I'd have to build a dozen trailers to incorporate them all.And members will fall all over themselves to share knowledge.

1. Tully Mars
  2. DKR
  3. oil pan 4
  4. Ganado
    [IMG] [IMG]
    Thread by: Ganado, Sep 21, 2016, 9 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  5. Homer Simpson
  6. chelloveck
  7. Witch Doctor 01
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7