Bug-Out Storage Of Supplies- What Are You Doing

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Pineknot

Pineknot Concrete Monkey

i have about 30 of these Hardigg Sealed chest's that have dolly wheels on one end, ten cam lock latches and 6 tough handles, gasket lid and an air pressure release valve. I have loaded this thing completely full with ammo for a hunting trip and lifted and rolled it as it was manufactured. they are tough and very expensive about $548.00 each new, i just happened to buy them on gov liquidations for a major fraction of that price. Got lucky and one has departments and drawers for medical supplies. they are stackable and interlock with each other. not saying this is practical or even readily available but tis is what i use. i believe you could loose one out of the back of the truck full of supplies and not loose a thing.
    IMG_3028.JPG IMG_3029.JPG

The oldest of my reason along with the mother of my two fine boys. I will have to say talking about mental state, if you have problems with your spouse or partner now, wait till' s major event happens and you will have more problems than people driving up to ask for supplies. take care to keep your family grounded, keep god a part of your family and be good stewards of the land.
    image6E54D744-62CC-423B-AE0D-9FC038E200B9..
    FYI: that is an empty can before someone points it out!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2015
  2. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

2 weeks food and water stocked in cabin. In town right now for another 2 week supply. By the end of the summer we should be ready to BO of FL (If need be)and BI in NC for 3 months easy. Wish us luck on psychic prediction of when to go.

Ganado likes this.
  3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Just as a side note, I purposely steered clear of using transparent tubs/containers. If you had to move out, the last thing I would want folks to see, is a truck/trailer load of containers of food and such. Depending on what is going on, you may be made a target really quick by those lacking supplies. Just a thought.....

Tully Mars and HK_User like this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

[​IMG]
    [LMAO]you've been spotted, yard......:lol:

5. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Canned Food Expiration Date MYTH | Survival
    Yard Dart,

Here is an article about canned food.

Cathy

GOG, Yard Dart, Ganado and 1 other person like this.
  6. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

This thread was in the header and it's the first time I've seen it, so I'm giving it a bump so it sticks around a while. I figure some other folks may want a look.

Tully Mars, Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

5 gallon buckets are easier to handle weight wise, I just wish I had the square ones .
    Realistically though ,this storage needs to be in a cool location,, and around here, that's tough .
    Ideally though ,being able to keep reserves as close to mobile as possible in a trailer or truck may be the best program if possible.
    The problem with emergencies is, the amount of time one has to organize especially in the event at hand.
    One can't guarantee their physical ability to perform ,as disasters can breed injuries like back sprains and injured limbs.
    Try moving all that gear from a storage to a vehicle with a stone in your shoe.(so to speak) BTW hand trucks go a long way in helping with this endeavor. buckets are still easier to move, and more durable than tubs .IMO
    All my bulk dry goods are already in 5 gallon buckets ,but the canned goods are on shelves.
    I t would probably be a good idea to have empty buckets available, to move the can goods to for transferring to the vehicle , as card board boxes may not stand up to the abuse of handing, especially if the weather is wet at the time.
    Probably should look into getting the square buckets at this time .
    Buckets will always have value , at worst for carrying water, making water filtration, or for barter.

Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  8. Pineknot

Pineknot Concrete Monkey

my wife has picked up some big bags that are like vacuum seal bags but you would use them for clothes, pillows or blankets. you then use a shop vac to remove the air to make the bags more compact. Of course if you are bugging out you want keep things limited as far as size. A good nights rest and clothes for growing kids is a must.

Ganado likes this.
  9. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Being a Floridian, I've become friends with the folks at WISE foods. Yet every May I lay in a supply of canned meats, veggies, and condensed milk. Come December it's spam & eggs, dak & eggs, etc etc....... I try to ensure that I've cleaned the cupboard before the end of May.

Ganado, Tully Mars and Dunerunner like this.
  10. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Thanks to you I'm going to get Lifestraw which I never heard of before. You might want to try Campfire Meals, particularly Barbecue Beef and Rice & Chilli and Rice, which I find are delicious and eat as regular meals as well. Also have plenty of Mountain House Cooked Ground beef cans, Saratoga Farms Potato Chunks, 6 months worth of pasta, plenty of cans of Bush's Black Beans Reduced Sodium amongst food items.

11. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Good post.
    Do you have cats? Know anybody that has cats?
    The cat litter we use comes in square buckets with a resealable lid. I get it at Sams. These bucket work really well for all kinds of stuff. Once the lid has been opened it will reseal but is not 100% water tight. I have left these out in rain storms and the inside stayed dry for awhile but after a week of rain there was water inside. A round of duct tape sealing the outside of the lid works wonders. I use these for storing brass, all kinds of things.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/membe...scoopable/prod20170893.ip?xid=plp:product:1:1

Edit: Check the bakery depts in your local grocery stores. I also get square buckets from them. Much of the icing that is used on cakes,ect come in square 3 and 5 gal buckets and the lids reseal VERY tightly.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  12. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

5 gallon buckets are less than 5$ at the Orange Box. Even Ebeneezer Scrooge can afford to part with those pennies. JMHO.

13. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Silly Seal, cash is for keeping..
    Ever think that one reason 'ol Ebeneezer was rich was due to the fact that he didn't spend money on what he didn't have to? I learned that a long time back. I am a scrounging MOFO. That allows me to spend what I want on stuff I can't scrounge or barter for. I had no problem throwing down 6k for a M82 and another 3k for the glass because I wanted one. One of the reasons I could do that was that I don't spend $2.97 on a bucket and $5.97 on a lid every time I need a bucket.
    JMHO

14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If space is an issue the square bucket is worth it .
    Because any bucket can have a seal issue , I suggest using just a little food grade silicone glue on the seal at the moment your finishing filling it . After it's had a chance to set up then you can put a vacuum on the bucket if you want to.
    All my stuff has oxygen absorbers, first in portioned bags with 02 absorbers, and those are in larger bags with 02 absorbers ,then in the bucket with more 02 absorbers .
    In the event something fails there are back up. Too much is at stake to be cheap on 02 absorbers .If whir handling the bucket in an emergency and the bucket is compromised ,there are several layers that have to be breached before all is lost.
    I have had rats eat at the lid of for buckets trying o get in , the pet food was unsealed inside .

1. OlDiceGames
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Prepsteader13
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Alanaana
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Dunerunner