bugging off by bike

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by andrew ebert, Aug 24, 2012.

1. andrew ebert

andrew ebert Monkey

i am about to move to an area of dayton, ohio that has a lot of bike paths a few of which lead out of town and 2 of which move though low populated areas (one to my primary BOL and one towards my secondary BOL). i want to hear your feelings on bugging out along bike trails. positives and negatives. and any strategies.

2. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Cons,

Any leg injury will limit your ability to bug out

Unless you have a specialty made bike you will have a weight limitation on how much you can carry

It’s only a matter of time before some “bubba” figures out his jeep will fit on the path and others follow him…

Pro’s

It beats walking

A motorbike/scooter/motor cycle can use the same paths faster and safer than a 4 wheel vehicle

You still have some time before someone uses it for a street … unless it’s another prepper using it as a bug out route

It’s quiet and you won’t run out of gas

During initial confusion a bike might be a less likely target than a truck loaded with “goodies”

YMMV

3. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

Seems to me that if you assemble the right rig and practice/train with it, that could be a very viable option. You are going to want to ride that trail a few times to familiarize yourself with it then you will need to ride it a few times with your gear to see what problems you will encounter. What to pack on you then what to pack on your bike will need to be carefully thought out and placement of items will be important.
    You will want to pre-plan what tools and supplies you will need to keep your bike moving. Extra chain, extra cable for brakes or gear changing, extra tire tube or slime the tube, duct tape and vinyl tape, a small hand air pump, etc.

CaboWabo5150 likes this.
  4. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I never had very good luck with the tire slime. I tens to keep extra tubes around and patch kits.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Monkey++

Thorn resistant tubes, True Goo and Mr. Tuffy liners, by using those three together I go a year to year and a half between flats.
    My usual transportation is my bike.

A bike trailer would be a good idea, something like the BoB (Beast of Burden) the single wheel tracks better behind a bike.

Also consider racks and panniers and/or a long bike conversion.

Brokor and mysterymet like this.
  6. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I will have to try those Mr Tuffy liners.

7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I found that BO by bike has some unique aspects and risks. I rode the routes I figured for escaping a hurricane or other disaster (an important consideration here in Florida!), and learned a loaded bike is top-heavy, and difficult to handle on rough dirt roads - have not tried loaded on single-track. Camping gear must be very minimal, especially if you intend taking a fair amount of food, ammo and a long gun. Space is limited and weight adds up. If the dirt road is flooded or mucky, riding it can be dangerous. Riding in the rain is dangerous at the bestof times - mu KLR650 was my sole transportation for two years.
    Bugging out by bike isstill one of my options, but not preferred.

8. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Monkey

Good luck with this idea. Two billion Chinese and Indians can't be wrong about bicycles.

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Monkey++

I would strongly recommend that if you are bugging out by bike do not wait until the last minute, go as soon as you can see the problem.

On the other hand if you do wait, the highways that are clogged with cars may be passable with a bike.

10. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Primary cons are the same with any bug out strategy. Of course, there are plenty of important considerations but here I'll stick to timing & path of egress.

- Go too early? Well this is probably the least painful of options. The ride home won't be bad since you have a home to return to!
    - Go at just the right time? It goes without saying this option has about a snowballs chance in hell of occurring. 'Nuff said.
    - Go a little late? You won't be the only one on this egress path. Things should be OK as life probably hasn't digressed to the lowest common denominator yet but be vigilant and aware of people & events near you at all times.
    - Go too late? Any of the default egress paths (roads, rail, paths, heck even navigable waterways) will be dangerous as all get out! If you find yourself leaving any population center late in the game DO NOT fall back on old habits of behavior! Using a standard mode of transport on the standard routes will most likely get you into some trouble if not outright killed. The vast majority of people will be one of two things: sheep or the wolves that pray on them. Nobody knows its prey better than a predator. The level of shock will be far beyond what most people living in the US have ever experienced or even contemplated. People will fall back to their comfortable patters when the stress & pressure of basic survival becomes too much to handle. Some will go feral. Critical thinking will go bye-bye. Keep to your group and keep out of the cross hairs of the wolves.
    - Prepare to bug in. If at all possible it's probably best to be in a location where bug out is the absolute last resort anyway. Get to know your neighbors now. Know who you can & cannot trust. If you can't get away from a dangerous population center now be sure you're ready to exercise your bug out plan at the earliest possible moment.

'Bout all I can throw out there for now. Don't forget the requisite wailing and gnashing of teeth. You won't want to look out of place!

ohno

Byte

1. DKR
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. ED GEiN
  5. yeti695
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Motomom34
  8. Motomom34
  9. Brokor
  10. IndieMama