Bugging Out vs Staying Put

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by The Expendable, Jun 20, 2009.

1. The Expendable

The Expendable Bread and Circus Master

There is a lot of talk on this and other forums about BOL's. In my area of the country, a lot of people talk about bugging out to the Ocala National Forest. It's a good location. I have camped and hiked in that area my whole life, and I love it, but I don't want to live in the woods. I'm not an animal.

Being a relative newbie in the area of prepping, maybe I'm being somewhat naive. I own a house in town. If/when the SHTF I understand the need for bugging out temporarily. I have a plan that I've worked out for my family and me. My plan is not final by any means... the more I learn, the more I realize I still need to learn. But I can't walk away from my house and my property to bug out to the forest on a permanent basis. I would consider it only as a temporary solution to an extreme situation.

Oh sure, there are exceptions to every rule. My house could burn down, or a nearby city could get nuked, making radiation levels too high to return to my town. But generally speaking, I will not just give my house to roving gangs of thugs. I won't go down without a fight. If they want my house and my stuff, they are going to have to fight me for it.

I'm not saying that anyone moving to the Ocala National Forest (or the desert or the mountains or the bayou) is wrong, and I wouldn't try to push my ideas on them. Like I said, I'm a newb and my plans are constantly evolving. I realize all the arguments against my viewpoint... safety in numbers, etc. But if I run away and let the punks have my house, then they win. Unless my house is uninhabitable, I would choose to stay put.

2. walrus

walrus Monkey++

U gotta do whatever works best for your situation.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7