Bugout MOPED

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Dual Sport bikes have real mufflers and aren't nearly as loud as dedicated dirt bikes. At a low cruise we often surprised deer on the forest roads.

deMolay, Gator 45/70, oldawg and 2 others like this.
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

China Motor, Taiwan Tires, Etc.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Digging up an old thread, but I just got these for the kiddos... Great fun for adults, too. Had them on the trails over rocks and through mud. Would make great transportation for a lone rider with a little gear. They are stock with a 6.5hp Chinese Honda clone engine that holds almost a gallon of gas.
    IMG_20220501_192558.
    I was thinking of getting another one just for me and changing out the tires from the 19" knobby to a 21" knobby with a larger sprocket. Add some .30cal ammo can sidesaddles, a small rack behind the seat with a small gas can, and you can have extended range. There are tons of Youtube videos on mods and performance enhancements. Tons of fun!

Last edited: May 5, 2022
    STGThndr, STANGF150, 3M-TA3 and 2 others like this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

6. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Not a Moped but it gets the job done...
    [​IMG]

7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Got details on this spiffy machine?

8. Andy the Aussie

2002 Yamaha XT600, long range tank, bar work off an Army version of the same bike, rattle can black, slightly lowered gearing. There is normally another small rack above the headlight but it’s off while I get around to fitting some LED driving lights. Only run it off-road. Come TEOTWAWKI :D I am sure it can do more !

STANGF150 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Does she have a name?

10. Andy the Aussie

My Godkids called it “The Zombie Express” !!

STANGF150 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

IMG_20220515_172146.
    IMG_20220515_203137.

Okay, a few weeks later and the kiddos and learned quite a bit. They are learning to ride, and I'm getting used to how they handle on the trails. One thing, for me the 19" tires only allow me to roll over a 5" log with ease. The kick stand mounts to the underside of the frame and gets hung up first on anything bigger. You can pull the handlebars and high center the bike really easy, but if I can relocate the kick stand up out of the way and then mount 21" tires, I should be golden for any log that's 7" or so without having to high center it.

Other than that, I learned you can't go too fast on the trails because the rocks will bounce the rear tire, and without any suspension, it will catapult your butt into the air. The footpegs are a little too far forward to make sitting up in the seat comfortable for long periods of time, so I may have to move them rearward. The only problem is, the jack chain housing is in the way if you go back more than a couple of inches. Anyway, I'm slowly working on making them useful.

As far as the range, I haven't found out how far it will go on .9 gal of gas yet, as I am trying to teach the kiddos how to preflight their iron ponies by checking the oil and topping of the gas and making sure the chain is tensioned within specs. I'm trying to get them to understand the basics of how a small engine works and what they have to do to keep it running well. One nice thing about the little 6.5 hp is that it sure is simple, and I only need to get a few tools to work on it all the way to a complete tear down rebuild and back again.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  12. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

IMHO, a bike or moped is far too limited in the ability to carry items on a mounted rack.
    HOWEVER, if you have the capability to tow a small trailer behind, then you're talking something worth looking at, for bugging out and/or general survival. Trailering doesn't add much weight or drag to any vehicle, unless you're talking hauling tons of weight. And how nice, to be able to add a gallon or two of gasoline, to extend your range! (y)

gunbunny and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. DKR
  2. Clownbear69
  3. Ura-Ki
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Tully Mars
  6. BenP
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. HK_User
  9. the68
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. STANGF150