Building a ram pump...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Pax Mentis, Dec 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I live on a river and a friend built 3 of these for me some years back. This is about the simplest, clearest directions I have ever seen...I think that even I could do it.
    [peep]

Hydraulic Ram Pump

I realized that, if you haven't used instructables before you may wonder how to reach the next step...at the top of the article, there is a box that says "10 Steps" with an arrow...each time you click the arrow, it takes you to the next step.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    chelloveck, Aeason, Motomom34 and 3 others like this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Cool subject. Phyisics in motion.:)

3. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Hey...that physics stuff works pretty well.
    :whistle:

Motomom34 and kellory like this.
  4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

5. kellory

You are preaching to the Choir here https://Renewable resources | Survival Forums
    One of the first threads I started.
    As for the Pelton wheel, you might do better with the motor out of a treadmill. They are a variable speed DC motor, (often used in DIY windmills), so the faster it goes, the more power produced, where as the alternator has to be spinning pretty fast to produce much.

6. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Kellery
    X2 or bingo. Which was why I added gearing or large pulley turning a very small one. To produce the needed current, car alternators spin at more RPMs than a Pelton wheel can usually produce so a generator would be a better choice.
    There are a lot of ideas at YouTube.

Motomom34, Cruisin Sloth and kellory like this.
  7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Ram pump principles explained

arleigh and Motomom34 like this.
  8. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Here's a pdf that seems to be pretty informative, regarding RAM pumps.

Attached Files:

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. Aeason

Aeason Monkey

Glad you posted this, I have started gathering parts to build one they are really simple and efficient. My grandfather used one many years ago for water for his mineral leaching.

chelloveck likes this.
  10. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Ram pumps don't need a pressure gauge. Or an inner tube. Two Schroeder valves--one high to vent, and one low to drain--will let you drain the pressure tank whenever it starts getting waterlogged, which will not be often. Take the cores out of both and close them with their caps. I never did like drinking out of a bicycle inner tube.

Gopherman and chelloveck like this.
  11. chelloveck

I think the ram pump in post #7 was intended for agricultural use rather than domestic drinking water supply.

Undoubtedly using Schroeder valves for the ram pump would be an elegant solution if one has access to them at the time the pump needs to be made, but in a SHTF scenario, low tech solutions with easily found components are more likely to be a survival winner.

Here is a short video clip describing Schroeder Valve functioning.

12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Think tire valve, not oil field or steam gear.

oldawg and kellory like this.
  13. kellory

You can also use it to blow any flood water out, with a simple tire pump.

oldawg likes this.
  14. chelloveck

15. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

No doubt! When I saw that, the first thing I thought of, was the taste of water passing that inner tube. Naaaaasssstttyy!

16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I built one for my self just to understand the magic,
    it's too cool.
    The inlet pipe needs to be metal 1-1/2" or 2" pipe 20' long or better and at least and a 6' drop , a bell reducer to 3/4" 3/4" pipe nipples ,Pipe tees, a 3/4" ball valve(critical for starting and good flow) and 2- 3/4" NPT swing check valves, an expansion chamber, and pipe for going up to the res.
    The input pipe is critical due to the shock of the first check valve slamming shut ,Which is on a pipe tee reversed open faced up open atmosphere, when the flow overcomes the weight of the flap.
    This pressure is great enough to over come the weight of the water against the second check valve holding the up hill water.
    When that pressure equalizes water is kinetically driven back in the input pipe and the cycle begins again each cycle is about a second . The expansion chamber is usually between the two valves or on the up hill side of the load . I made my expansion chamber using a 2 liter bottle .
    It will produce some significant pressure the higher you push the water.
    Remember that the weight of the water is what your working with and against. so the smaller the pipe going up the better.
    My experiment was on my own property so I only observed a 35 foot lift but the water could have gone much higher .

Ganado and chelloveck like this.
  17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

By chance, do you have pix?

18. chelloveck

Max Headroom explanation of how ram pumps work.............

arleigh likes this.
  19. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Kind of like in the summer drinking hot water out of a garden hose, how many of us died from doing that?

Rancher

20. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Think Schrader valves, not Schroeder from Peanuts...

Am I the only well guy here?

Rancher

1. Alanaana
    Media

Dome

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Views

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. ColtCarbine
  5. duane
  6. Ganado
  7. martha_mill
  8. DKR
  9. Sojourn
  10. DKR
  11. SurvivalJester
  12. deMolay
  13. Ganado
  14. Dunerunner