Building a ram pump...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Pax Mentis, Dec 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Fair enough. But, if I have the option to drink a cleaner, less rubbery water, I usually go that route.

Living in Cambodia has some disadvantages. A lot of the ground water here has naturally occurring arsenic in it. So, I kinda lean a bit more toward rainwater harvesting, when possible.

chelloveck likes this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It is always well to be aware of local conditions....not all solutions are universal.

3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I haven't learned how to up load pictures ,and I'm reluctant to use "the cloud" .
    but there are you tube on ram pumps that I got my initial information from.
    There are professionally made units, and those one can make them self,
    the principle is the same .
    I tried stuff that doesn't work like substituting PVC on the input pipe and it flexes too much .
    Some folks have drilled small holes to allow air in the water as it passes the expansion chamber so it does not swamp, I guess it works .Seems like you sacrifice something for going that though .
    Having the ball valve in the front of the first valve is important in initially starting and any other configuration than a ball valve will not allow the flow required for best efficiency.
    The feeling of success seeing the thing work is quite a thrill .
    A first I thought the first swing check valve was the critical component, but the whole thing is like a perfectly orchestrated symphony.
    If you have the time and interest , the fun is learning the combinations that make it work more efficiently .
    There is nothing like personal experimentation ..

chelloveck likes this.
  4. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

arleigh likes this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Professionals call them "swing check valves" ones with a flapper inside.
    Schrader valves are on the tire inner tubes .
    Swing check does not use a spring, and this is important . The working fully depends on voluntary movement.
    Schrader valves are spring loaded and do not work in this particular operation.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  1. Alanaana
    Media

Dome

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Views

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. ColtCarbine
  5. duane
  6. Ganado
  7. martha_mill
  8. DKR
  9. Sojourn
  10. DKR
  11. SurvivalJester
  12. deMolay
  13. Ganado
  14. Dunerunner