Building your own evacuee shed/house/home

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by DKR, Jun 17, 2018.

1. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Great new versions will work for my application

2. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

We live in not much more than that, 14.4 square meters (~ 155 square feet) full time. ("Full time" being the vast majority of each month, aside from a couple / few days to return to the city for shopping. Of course, that doesn't include the bathroom or kitchen areas, either. I am talking 14.4 square meters of pure living and sleeping areas only.) It really isn't bad at all - not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Our apartment in the city, a one bedroom unit, only offers 55 square meters (~592 square feet) of living space, including a bath and kitchen, as well as a covered patio and parking area for the motorcycles, and to keep the rains off us. It's amazing on how little actual living space you really need, all said and done.

3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I lived in a small truck camper a while ,toilet, bed, shower, stove.
    People are spoiled with to much room .
    I know I have too much stuff with too much room .

Gator 45/70, Asia-Off-Grid and Zimmy like this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I had mentioned earlier (on the board, not this thread) that I had lived in a modified 19 foot trailer for most of a year in rural Nv. I was on TDY to a area the AF used, but it had nothing military - we all lived on and in the economy. The per Diem rate at the time was $21/day, that was supposed to cover room and board. Call it $400/month. Seems thin today, but back in the mid 1970s and in a rural area, it was ok.

The trailer rented for $75/month and I was able to do some minor chores around the ranch for the odd meal or two on the weekends. For and at the time, not a bad deal.

When I brought my brand new bride to Las Vegas, we lived in a 12 x 50 two bedroom mobile home. Not a bad life, because we had little in the way of possessions.

Later, when I pulled a tour in the RoK, DW lived in a 8x40 mobile that belonged to her BIL
    Cosy, but plenty of room for one...

All this BTW, allowed us to live well on my military pay, something not easy to do, and to still put a couple of bucks away for a future home. I'll admit, this was 'hard', and for the kids growing up today, even harder - mostly because of insanely cheap credit.

Zimmy and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

My little BO Shack 10x20 built by the Minnonites, Wifey,cou-zan and myself completed the inside.
    Wiring,insulation,paneling,hot water heater,shower,toilet,AC and TV, I may do another one this year or next or perhaps a shipping container for storage and a washing machine +dryer

IMAG00273.

6. DKR

Pretty slick.

Cost - I'm guessing $5K for the shell?

7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Here is some pics of a property for sale around here, almost 7 acres. The owner built a temporary camp while he saved up to build a permanent home. Great ideas and use........
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Motomom34, Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Pretty close, I don't remember the exact price,4,600.00 jumps to my mind and at least that much on the interior.
    I could live there once I get something else for storage!

Ganado and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Pretty nice! You buying it?

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Probably not...since I posted them pics. :whistle:

Nice mountain top acreage is mostly usable. Commanding lake view!!

Zimmy, HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Yard Dart I would burn that place to the ground. Picture #3. Mutant spiders.

@Gator 45/70 cute place. Guesstimate on the weight?

Yard Dart, HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Ah well, Don't really know an accurate weight, However if I wish to move the mini house I'm sure my truck alone can pull the place to another location on a dry day. I do plan on moving the mini house to a solid cement pad with tie downs and sewage hook-up.
    Just have to get some loggers into the place and thin out some of the pines before I do anything.

HK_User and Ganado like this.
  13. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Maybe use pontoons too?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

The place is in here inside my woods

IMAG01470.

HK_User likes this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

One could, However many use a small pontoon barge with spuds down here.
    Move it around the bayous with your outboard, Spud down and your really isolated if one wishes.

oldawg, Zimmy, ghrit and 2 others like this.
  16. DKR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    shack on a hull - Shanty Boats. - formerly a staple of the Mississippi river. Now days, mostly low rent slums, on the water

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and HK_User like this.
  17. DKR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    a slightly lower cost version

Motomom34, HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. DKR

A while back, I started a shelter thread on another board. One of the things was to have a shelter in place that took little to put up and took very little space.

Hexayurt.

[​IMG]
    This folded Hexayurt (4 ft x 8 ft x about 2 ft) will go on top of even a small car. Roof racks are a better option that what's shown here.

With a little care, they can be built with reinforcement and still fold.
    [​IMG]

and make a package only a foot thick.
    [​IMG]

I'd be hard pressed to get a Costco tarp garage into this small of a package.

Full;y up - 4 ft sidewalls, so standing room inside
    [​IMG]

19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

[​IMG]
    Shanty boat, owned (and may still own it) by a monkey.

20. Borrego

Borrego Monkey

I would add a Drywall square and a Tri square. Drywall square for cutting plywood or panel stock, saves a lot time over a chalk line!
    Tri square for angles of course....I agree with the chop saw for framing...most young carpenters scoff at that, but they can be big time savers

1. martha_mill
  2. john316
  3. deMolay
  4. Benjamin A. Wood
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. oil pan 4
  10. DKR
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid