Bush Monkey Knives - what do you think of my tools?

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Bush Monkey Knives, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Bush Monkey Knives

Bush Monkey Knives Bush Monkey

Bison_Forge, Hillclimber and melbo like this.
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Well, I certainly love the way it looks. The blade looks fantastic, and the handle appears to have an aggressive texture. The only aside I would throw in, is perhaps the thickness of the handle and it's design may not be the most suitable for control of the knife. Since the blade is the size it is, a slightly wider (in height) handle, while being narrower (in width) will conform to the hand, while also being curved/sloped slightly downward toward it end. This design may be common, but it carries a significant importance: the energy and force will be distributed through the major muscles of the arm and to the skeletal instead of being concentrated on the wrist of the user, which is often the case with a straight handled knife. For example, when chopping branches off a log, if the handle rests firmly throughout my palm as I strike, the energy will divert itself properly. If the handle is straight across my hand, the grip I hold has changed to an unnatural position, and when striking, the energy is concentrated on my wrist, causing fatigue and even possible injury.

That said, does the knife look good? Man, it looks sick -I love it.

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I like the way they look.
    If you want a review, I'd be happy to demo one.

Welcome to the Monkey, monkey.

4. Bush Monkey Knives

Thanks for the feedback and putting some thought into what you wrote. Your ideas and comments have merit. The bowie design has probably performed more functions as a knife design than any other in American history. That being said, a fatter handle (when viewed from the top) distributes force over a larger surface area despite it being a straight handled knife.

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

The Chisos looks like it would be a great EDC /utility knife. The shape of the blade reminds me a little of a Bird and Trout combo Don Llewellyn made me a few years back.
    Chisos1a_copy.

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yes, I agree with what Melbo said about the Chisos. I love that style, it is most practical. Great design!

And this:
    [​IMG]
    I would love to have in 154CM -it's a very nice design, and also practical. I also like the name "Glacier".

What is your heat treating process like?

7. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Nice!

8. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Very nice!...
    Classic, functional, solid proven designs and great execution...
    Good choice of materials for purpose...
    Read and looked through the whole website... Very good stuff!
    That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it... :0)

9. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Good looking knives - how long have you been making them?

10. Bush Monkey Knives

How long?

Made a crude and ugly "knife" when I was about 16 from one of my Dad's files. I was a pioneer in the field of modifying and using worn out dirt bike drive sprockets for throwing stars while in my teens. My "work" has gotten a little better, more refined and a lot more sensible since then, depending on who you ask. The fun factor is still about the same though. Thanks for all the comments, questions and suggestions.

11. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have a thing for Fighters and Bowies (the original American fighter). Edged weapons have as much appeal as edged tools.

12. TEXAS REBEL

TEXAS REBEL Monkey+

Some good looking Knives.
    Get some spare cash might have to pick up a couple of them.

13. Bison_Forge

Bison_Forge Aspiring Knifemaker

Your work is very nice. I am glad to see another knifemaker is active with the forum, I always love to see what is being cooked up by like minded individuals.

14. hoo hoo grub

hoo hoo grub Monkey+

15. sharpeblades

sharpeblades Monkey+

Good looking knife :But i dont like for my hand to be able to slide up on the cutting edge

16. TimSuggs

TimSuggs Monkey+

All VERY nice. It's nice to see quality and function as a standard feature rather than an option.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7