Cache network....

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Tango3, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Joe Dan

Joe Dan Monkey+++

Okay (I'm back, BTW) I'll try and bring this thread back on track.

There are several ways to cache and unless you gots mo money than sense a U-store is probably not the way to go.

1. You can store stuff at friends, relatives' houses. They can store stuff at yours. This is okay for things like clothes and what not but If I store a case of MREs at your house and you store a case of MREs at my house???? Or stoves, or rifles, or whatever.... If, however this is a potential bug out location, then yu should at least store chow and any special needs there.

2. You can establish caches the old fashioned way - bury them. Let's say I have, over the years, buried 20-something 5 gallon buckets of stuff in a 200 mile radius. Maybe some buckets contain food, some contain medical supplies, some contain ammo - use your imagination. THEN, if someone contacts me who is passing through, I can give them directions to the bucket they need - we never need to meet up face to face; they don't have to see all the other stuff in my U-store. An alternative to burying is concealing but this is less secure.

3. You can establish cheap caches and make the locations known to all in your network. They are so inexpensive that no one would "steal" them, and trust is not really an issue. They are worth so little in modern dollars that it wouldn't be worth digging them up. They are cheap yet potentially very valuable. Let's say we all decided to bury large Folger's instant coffee jars (silicone the lid and wrap the whole thing in duct tape) at the NE corner of intersections around our AO. Said jar could contain, matches, a razor blade, some gauze and tape - maybe some neosporin, a large contractor trash bag, some granola bars, fish hooks and line, maybe a couple bucks - you get the idea. If someone was truly needy - those things would be a lifesaver. The deal with this would be "buy in" You would have to bury X number of jars and report the locations to a net-manager prior to getting the locations of all the others. All would be subject to inspection/verification by any member of the net. Kind of like geo caching but instead of take one-leave one - someone just posts - "yep - it was there and in good shape. I put it back".

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I kind of like Joes idea and also i could be expanded just a bit in that if there was an established cal for the group then say 20-100 rounds of the given cal could also be included, be it .22, 7.62x39, .223 or whatever. Still keeps it cheap enouph that its not really worth anyone stealing and so trust isnt so much of an issue as say if it had 4 rifles a handgun and 2 cases of MREs or some such but at the same time could be of great value and help if you were passing through a location in a post SHTF situation for resupply.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Going off topic again, but --
    I was at a gun show today, there are a few MNs on the benches. Rifles running 100 to 130 (with one idiot looking for 450, but it was a Finn.) Carbines with pig stickers, 100 to 120. If I didn't have the bike instead of the pickup, I would have grabbed one.

A day later added note. Went back, took two home, a 91/30 (1943 date) and a 91/44 (dated 1944.) Both are (allegedly) re-arsenaled and head space checked. Have not checked for parts number matches nor cleaned them up, but on first glance, bores are pretty good (but dark/grungy with oil) should shoot 4 moa easily enough. Picked up some 148 grain Wolf on the way home from work for test firing after cleanup, then will get some bulk when I figure out what's what with the milsurp stuff. Last check at Midway, two 440 round cans go for about 100USD, but I don't know what's in the cans. The original stuff was 220 grain black powder, but I have no clue what the sights are set for at the factory. (Suspect, but have not confirmed 148 gr spitzers with smokeless at about 850 mps for the /30.) These are in marked in meters, but no idea what bullet weight or powder they are calibrated to hit with.

Maybe a thread for the monkey gun is in order?

4. ghrit

Back on topic. As the first post said, we've folks all over. As another said, it sucks to have the cache all in one place. So, says me, stock several small ones in your area and provide different folks with the one of the locations. Spreads the risk a bit.

5. ghrit

Bump for the newbies. Both caching and the monkey gun are discussed.

6. Sharpie44

Sharpie44 Monkey++

Maybe I'm alone here but I'm not all that opposed to shooting someone in the head and taking their stuff. That is if it’s necessary to my survival, not saying I would be out looking to do it. I can put some things aside on my family’s farm but there are going to be other people there who will need it to and it might take me some time to get there. If worst comes to worst realistically I’m going to have to use the survival technique “I have a gun and you don’t.” If I want to have any hope of getting to the farm. Not pleasant but it might come down to it.
    <!--[endif]-->[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <u1:WordDocument> <u1:View>Normal</u1:View> <u1:Zoom>0</u1:Zoom> <u1:TrackMoves/> <u1:TrackFormatting/> <u1:punctuationKerning/> <u1:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <u1:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</u1:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <u1:IgnoreMixedContent>false</u1:IgnoreMixedContent> <u1:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</u1:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <u1:DoNotPromoteQF/> <u1:LidThemeOther>EN-US</u1:LidThemeOther> <u1:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</u1:LidThemeAsian> <u1:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</u1:LidThemeComplexScript> <u1:Compatibility> <u1:BreakWrappedTables/> <u1:SnapToGridInCell/> <u1:WrapTextWithPunct/> <u1:UseAsianBreakRules/> <u1:DontGrowAutofit/> <u1:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <u1:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <u1:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <u1:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <u1:Word11KerningPairs/> <u1:CachedColBalance/> </u1:Compatibility> <u1:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</u1:BrowserLevel> <u2:mathPr> <u2:mathFont u2:val="Cambria Math"/> <u2:brkBin u2:val="before"/> <u2:brkBinSub u2:val="--"/> <u2:smallFrac u2:val="off"/> <u2:dispDef/> <u2:lMargin u2:val="0"/> <u2:rMargin u2:val="0"/> <u2:defJc u2:val="centerGroup"/> <u2:wrapIndent u2:val="1440"/> <u2:intLim u2:val="subSup"/> <u2:naryLim u2:val="undOvr"/> </u2:mathPr> </u1:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <u3:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <u3:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </u3:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--> Besides my pillaging tendencies “I have Viking blood in me : )" I think It might be a good idea to store a few bottles of home brewed barley wine “Stuff has a lot of calories” up at the farm. I might also put a bunch of white rice in 22oz home brew bottles and cap them for long term storage. In a sealed bottle I’m sure it would last a long time. We already have farm equipment, tools, and shelter but a sack of some type of seed would be a smart idea. Maybe even a few emergency MRE’s and survival odds and ends.

7. ghrit

Bump for the caching discussions/ideas, and for this blurb on MNs with credit to 7.82x54r.net. Off the topic of caching, but since MNs are leading the pack as "THE" Monkey gun --- (They will fit in a plastic pipe for burial next to a spam can of Bulgarian.)
    +++++++++++
    Written by Head of the old Headsbunker.com, also known as "Ezra Coli" on the various message boards.

There's an ever present, unending debate over which is best, ARs or AKs, raging across the internet and in gun shops every day sending bile and bitter insults spewing both ways. This debate has turned fathers against sons, best friends against one another, and........well you get the point. The author is of the opinion that there are of course pros and cons to each family of rifle, and I refuse to engage in what is "best". As one who loves them all, especially the AK and AR series, I thought I'd pass on some of the knowledge I have gained over the years concerning these wildly different weapons. As a bonus, I'll toss in my knowledge of another favorite family of weapons at the Bunker, just because they are very popular these days and I often ramble about them. So, here, for the aid of those hammering one another in the debate, is some unbiased, non-slanted, untainted raw knowledge about the AK, the AR, and the Mosin Nagant.
    <table width="100%" border="1" cellpadding="6"><tbody><tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Stuff you know if you have an AK</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Stuff you know if you have an AR</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">Stuff you know if you have a Mosin Nagant</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="38">It works though you have never cleaned it. Ever.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="38">You have $9 per ounce special non-detergent synthetic Teflon infused oil for cleaning.</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="38">It was last cleaned in Berlin in 1945.</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">You are able to hit the broad side of a barn from inside.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">You are able to hit the broad side of a barn from 600 meters.</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">You can hit the farm from two counties over.</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Cheap mags are fun to buy.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Cheap mags melt.</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">What's a mag?</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Your safety can be heard from 300 meters away.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">You can silently flip off the safety with your finger on the trigger.</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">What's a safety?</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Your rifle comes with a cheap nylon sling.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Your rifle has a 9 point stealth tactical suspension system.</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">You rifle has dog collars.</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Your bayonet makes a good wire cutter.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Your bayonet is actually a pretty good steak knife.</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">Your bayonet is longer than your leg.</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">You can put a .30" hole through 12" of oak, if you can hit it.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">You can put one hole in a paper target at 100 meters with 30 rounds.</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">You can knock down everyone else's target with the shock wave of your bullet going downrange.</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">When out of ammo your rifle will nominally pass as a club.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">When out of ammo, your rifle makes a great wiffle bat.</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">When out of ammo, your rifle makes a supreme war club, pike, boat oar, tent pole, or firewood.</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Recoil is manageable, even fun.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">What's recoil?</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">Recoil is often used to relocated shoulders thrown out by the previous shot.</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Your sight adjustment goes to "10", and you've never bothered moving it.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Your sight adjustment is incremented in fractions of minute of angle.</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">Your sight adjustment goes to 12 miles and you've actually tried it.</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Your rifle can be used by any two bit nation's most illiterate conscripts to fight elite forces worldwide.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Your rifle is used by elite forces worldwide to fight two bit nations' most illiterate conscripts.</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">Your rifle has fought against itself and won every time.</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Your rifle won some revolutions.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Your rifle won the Cold War.</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">Your rifle won a pole vault event.</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">You paid $350.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">You paid $900.</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">You paid $59.95.</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">You buy cheap ammo by the case.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">You lovingly reload precision crafted rounds one by one.</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">You dig your ammo out of a farmer's field in Ukraine and it works just fine.</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">You can intimidate your foe with the bayonet mounted.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">You foes laugh when you mount your bayonet.</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">You can bayonet your foe on the other side of the river without leaving the comfort of your hole.</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Service life, 50 years.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Service life, 40 years.</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">Service life, 100 years, and counting.</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">It's easier to buy a new rifle when you want to change cartridge sizes.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">You can change cartridge sizes with the push of a couple of pins and a new upper.</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">You believe no real man would dare risk the ridicule of his friends by suggesting there is anything but 7.62x54r.</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">You can repair your rifle with a big hammer and a swift kick.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">You can repair your rifle by taking it to a certified gunsmith, it's under warranty!</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">If your rifle breaks, you buy a new one.</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">You consider it a badge of honor when you get your handguards to burst into flames.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">You consider it a badge of honor when you shoot a sub-MOA 5 shot group.</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">You consider it a badge of honor when you cycle 5 rounds without the aid of a 2x4.</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">After a long day the range you relax by watching "Red Dawn".</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">After a long day at the range you relax by watching "Blackhawk Down".</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">After a long day at the range you relax by visiting the chiropractor.</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for a stiff shot of Vodka.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for hotdogs and apple pie.</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for shishkabob.</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">You can accessorize you rifle with a new muzzle brake or a nice stock set.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Your rifle's accessories are eight times more valuable than your rifle.</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">Your rifle's accessory is a small tin can with a funny lid, but it's buried under an apartment building somewhere in Budapest.</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Your rifle's finish is varnish and paint.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Your rifle's finish is Teflon and high tech polymers.</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">Your rifle's finish is low grade shellac, cosmoline and Olga's toe nails.</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Your wife tolerates your autographed framed picture of Mikhail Kalashnikov.</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Your wife tolerates your autographed framed picture of Eugene Stoner.</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">You're not sure there WERE cameras to photograph Sergei Mosin.</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Late at night you sometimes have to fight the urge to hold your rifle over your head and shout "Wolverines!"</td> <td valign="top" width="33%" height="19">Late at night you sometimes have to fight the urge to clear your house, slicing the pie from room to room.</td> <td valign="top" width="34%" height="19">Late at night, you sometimes have to fight the urge to dig a fighting trench in the the yard to sleep in.</td></tr></tbody></table>

8. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

They should make a AR upper in 7.62x54 that doesn't eat where it craps, and utilizes cheap magazines can be bought for almost nothing.

9. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You know, that whole L.A. bank robbery could have been ended pretty quickly with a monkey rifle and a few rounds of ammo.

10. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Or a cop that could hit a head sized target at 15 yards!

They didn't have armor on their heads.

The fight went on so long that the one guy gave up and shot himself in the head!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7