California is burning...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by DKR, Nov 9, 2018.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Much of the hardship of bushfire in Australia tends to happen in the bush / outback (which tends towards conservatism) and the urban/bush interface, which usually represent a mix of political / social views and affiliations depending on the affluence of the area affected. Sure, the ill prepared who don't take sensible precautions for foreseeable risks earn, and deserve criticism, but at the end of the day, they are also human beings, still deserving of being treated with humanity, rather than as the butt of some partisan tribal 'cold humour'...the 'cold humour', is after all, for the benefit and affirmation of one's own tribe...not for 'the other'.

2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Reports are now of miles long traffic jams as people flee the AO.

I can only hope the stalled traffic doesn't get lit up in the sweep of the fire as it continues to grow...

Zimmy, Dunerunner, chelloveck and 3 others like this.
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

While I understand your point of view , and to be honest with you , I agree with you . But , I deal with my own hardships in pretty much the same way. While I haven't lost everything as some have , I have had some pretty hard times. And I've dealt with them on my own in my own way . Many of my closest friends never even knew of these times until long after . It's just my way of dealing with things , I feel it makes me stronger , to be able to push thru by myself , not dependent on anyone . And I deal with words and comments in much the same way . It is what it is , deal with it . Life ain't easy , Welcome to the suck ,, adapt and overcome .

Zimmy, GrayGhost, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

First off, it is not 100% commies in California. Currently 5 people have burned to death, not sure of their stance on the environment or how they voted, the news report failed to disclose that. The lives lost may have been a Mom, Dad and 3 children. I think it is horrible that lives have been lost. This fire is moving fast and the evacuation is getting backed up because of the number of people having to leave.

My children and my dog is all that I would need to evacuate. If I have time I throw in a bag of clothes, some food, tent and blankets. Yes, pictures and stuff would be lost but the only thing that matters is my children. When we lived in a high fire danger zone, we could have everything that we needed at the door and ready for loading within 5 minutes. When a fire starts near you, take video or pictures of everything. Even if the fire is 20 miles away as the crow flies, video it all. If the wind kicks up, the fire could travel the 20 miles in at an overwhelming speed.
    Grab what I can and leave on level 2 or prior to level 2 if I thought the fire was too close. If I lost everything, it would hurt but I have insurance. Natural disaster is hard and takes time to recover from. I would just have to have patience. I have gotten to the point that material stuff is nice but I would not risk my life or my loved ones for stuff.

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Paradise, California: Nine confirmed dead in Camp Fire - CNN
    The count is up to 9 and will probably rise. The fire is too fast and there is so many people leaving as fire fighters are trying to get in. What a mess

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

The PCH...

MalibuFire.

Zimmy, Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

That's the dilemma...particularly in areas where the only way out, is the only way in....leave early when evac routes are un-clogged, or find a closer defendable refuge. Fire overruns are ugly but depending on local circumstances can sometimes be survived. It's best not being in that situation in the first place. Have been in a fire truck trying to get to an aged care facility to defend it ....the truck had to drive through the firefront...over a bridge.... it was a hairy moment...we could feel the radiant heat through the windows. We had to hold our position for a minute or two, until the crew leader gave the ok to the driver to gun it through. We got by ok...and deployed outside of the aged care home which could not have been safely evacuated at the time...we successfully, with other units, defended the home...it was at night, eerie... except for the fire pumps and the tanker engines, nothing else intruded...hot embers falling from the sky. I was covered head to foot in PPE, except there must have been a gap between my turnout jacket sleeve and my leather rigger gloves...still have a small scar on my left wrist from an ember that must have gotten through...didn't notice it at the time I was so focussed and full of adrenalin...

A Rural Fire Service PR photographer parked his car close on the Aged Care Home nature strip garden which was mulched with wood chips. My unit was close by on the street tarmac........he only just got his car moved before the woodchips reached ignition point...we killed ourselves laughing at his panic at the time....it would have been hard for him to explain to his boss, if the car had gotten scorched. Though....we would have sprayed some water his way.

Dunerunner, Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. DKR

If you ever wondered what Armageddon would look like

or
    a panic evacuation of the cites at DEFCON5.....

Zimmy and Motomom34 like this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Damn, Fire is going to the ocean!
    Why in the Hell is only one side of the highway open and not both sides?

SB21, Zimmy and Mountainman like this.
  10. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Yep, BAAAAAHHHH. No traffic in from the other lane was allowed so why not use it to get out, WTF?

Was at the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989 and when the sheeple were stuck at stoplights that were out I went down the sides of the road and went around them to get home. [sheep]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Because the state offices have failed to draw up and/or initiate an evacuation plan. CO has plans in place and often changes the Interstate lanes. On heavy traffic days, often some West bound lanes will change to East bound to ease the bottle necking in certain areas. I know that Oregon practices the great shake-out and runs drills in case of earthquake. CO has mountain/foothill communities that will run fire evacuation drills. The articles are saying that people are abandoning their vehicles and running for their lives.

12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I guess that's one difference between us and them.
    I don't need someones permission to save my bacon.

Mountainman, Zimmy and oldawg like this.
  13. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Opposite direction traffic from the evacuation route is blocked to allow emergency vehicles an unobstructed route into the disaster area to assist those who cannot get out on their own, provide police protection and fire support. But, that is just a guess... :whistle:

Mountainman and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

It's a terrible situation but avoidable by not living somewhere that explodes into uncontainable fires every year. It's truly beautiful up there but I don't think I would live there anymore than I would build a lake house at a lower elevation than the spillway.

Let's all just pray nobody else dies and many people learn the lessons available here.

15. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Thats what I was wondering , maybe the asshats in California thought it would slow traffic up to much if they had to write all them tickets for driving on the wrong side of the road .
    [LMAO][lolol]

16. DKR

Reports are now that over 200K have evacuated, and very few shelters have been set up.

[​IMG]
    The library at Gateway Seminary's former main campus in Mill Valley, Calif., is being used to house fire evacuees.

[​IMG]
    worst fire in Cal history and still going strong.....

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. DKR

[​IMG]
    we keep ours always loaded with a (almost) full tank of gas, 2 changes of clothing, hygiene kits, about 4 days of food. In the winter, we have 15 gallons of water (in 'office cooler' jugs) that have to be done as a door load upon exit. I had the Suburban porpane guy make a hose so I can hook up 5 gal (20 lb) 'BBQ' canisters to the main gas storage in case of a long term situation where heating/cooking is required.

Were would we go to be safe?
    Well, we have friends with lots of parking

[​IMG]

18. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

It is awe inspiring to see an entire "modern" town, burned to the ground. Not happy to see it, but that is truly an amazing sight.

SB21, Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Maw nature wins every time!!!

SB21 and oldawg like this.
  20. DKR

Map shows where Woolsey Fire is burning in Ventura, LA

[​IMG]

I wonder if the Nuclear Winter folks will chime in on the impact of atmospheric particulate loading - not a snark - this much smoke could change the weather all along the West coast and up into Alaska.

See WIndy (Windy as forecasted) for upper and lower level smoke transport - there is a large system just off the coast pumping warm air up into Alaska (not that I'm complaining) if you look at the flows, it leads right to my door step.

We are all far more connected than many think.....

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7