California is burning...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by DKR, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I live in the Cajun Prairie,Flat and wet,Rice fields and crawfish ponds, Never been to a desert,But! if I was to go to one I would look for meteorites.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@Gator 45/70 The probubility of finding a Meteorite in a Desert, is exactly the same as finding one in a swamp, or anywhere else, on the surface of this Rock....

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'm told they are magnetic?

UncleMorgan likes this.
  4. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I would worry about my BOV engine running lean in a fire zone because of oxygen depleted smoke. Superheated intake air will be even thinner on oxygen. These variances will vary by the street foot.

I'm no sure how that works with modern self tuning engines.

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Interesting thought. I know that vehicles get vapor lock due to elevation and heat. Makes sense. Last time I experienced that issue, I had to shut the car off and let it cool.

This vehicle performed in the fire. The owner will be getting a new Tundra as a gift from Toyota.
    BBPG5Tr.

A nurse has emerged as one of the heroes of the disaster, driving into the flames to evacuate patients from the intensive care unit he manages. While he made it out alive, his Toyota Tundra didn't fare so well. Once Toyota found out about the nurse's heroic deeds, the company offered to replace his Tundra. https://www.motortrend.com/news/toyota-tundra-california-wildfire-replacement/

6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Go diesel.
    I have ran diesel engines off as little as 5% oxygen and they still wouldn't die.

Then when the fires are out and the charred bodies are all found and counted California will go right back to banning plastic straws, large sodas, plastic bags and trying to open the boarders, co-ed locker rooms, ect.

Because to them all their problems are external, everything they do is perfect.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2018
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Hell Yeah!!!
    Now this is one almost free sales campaign for Yotas, BIL has one, He's not to proud of the gas mileage but it keeps on running!!!

UncleMorgan likes this.
  8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

9. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Great way to just disappear... Not in any way suggesting that any of those listed have done that. Prayers go out to all of them and their families, this is a horrible disaster.

10. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Here's the latest on the Camp Fire up in Northern California

149,000 acres burned
    55 percent contained
    76 fatalities confirmed
    1,276 unaccounted for
    12,794 structures destroyed (including homes)

Absolutely heartrending...

And the Woolsey fire down in the Southern part of the State..

98,362 acres burned
    82 percent contained
    3 fatalities confirmed
    713 structures destroyed, 57,000 in danger

11. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

search for the photos on "Chico walmart parking lot evacuees

They've been told they have to be out - seems the Red Cross is puling out. No shelters have opened other than an old (closed) Sears store. Oh - no pets.

300,000 displaced.
    In Katrina, over 600K were still displaced a month later.

12. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Some are and some aren’t. Depends on the composition. I have some i’ve purchased for my collection. The grain structure of an iron meteorite when cut, polished and etched is beautiful.

Gator 45/70, UncleMorgan and Zimmy like this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

California is really good at producing homeless people.

Gator 45/70 and UncleMorgan like this.
  14. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

on top of everything else - the refugee camps that FEMA has opened are getting hit by poor sanitary conditions >>>> hundreds of dysentary illnesses coming from 4 different camps >>>> that can spread like the wildfire did ....

15. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Why aren't all the compassionate Californians opening their homes to these refugees?

Gator 45/70 and UncleMorgan like this.
  16. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

California has a larger population than all of Canada combined

Nobody wants to take in a refugee that may never leave. There is nothing to go back to - no homes, no businesses, no jobs - no nothing.

Paradise CA was not exactly the high rent district of the foothills.
    The average income of a Paradise (zip 95969) resident is $25,740 a year. This is cali was everything is expensive...
    14.1% of the population for whom poverty status is determined in Paradise, CA (3,636 out of 25,873 people) live below the poverty line,with the largest demographic living in poverty is Male 18-24, followed by Male 45-54 and then Male 55-64.

17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

yes you can if you have enough water. the problem in CA is they have dried up most of the reservoirs to provide water to the LA basin and they are Metro Water Authority is still taking wate out of the Colorado River and using it in the LA Basin despite water laws that prohibit moving water from one basin to another.

Look at the fisher's in Mexico that have dried up because CA uses too much water
    Mexico and Colorado River Water - Water Education Foundation

The Colorado River Runs Dry | Science | Smithsonian

Don't get me started on CA and the Metro Water District.

18. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Doubly sad, since California is on the coast, and could set up desalinization plants, for fresh water production. Would it be expensive? Probably. But they always seem to have more dollars, than sense....so it shouldn't really be an issue, should it? :rolleyes:

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The news is saying they have to leave Wal-mart due to the colder temperatures and that rain is moving in.
    They rain, though much needed, could cause mudslides and will make it harder for rescuers to locate the missing.

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Seems to me that Commifornia Folks whine about the Wx no matter what... They whine with the winds, that blow fires arount.... They whine when it Rains, cause of the mudslides, They whine in the 60 degree winters because it is to Cold, They whine in the summers, because it gets to HOT (100F+) Commiforniaans are just a bunch of WHINERS.... You know, if this all happened back in Biblical Days, they would be looking for. Prophet to come by, and CALL the WHOLE STATE to repentance.... Hmmm Now there is a thought....

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7