Can Opener's- Do you have a plan?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Feb 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Does TSA confiscate either the P-38 or P-51?

Yeah my 100'th Post

stg58, Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Good question.... don't know myself as I have not flown anywhere in three years.

Bear likes this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I wouldn't think so. I had pepper spray and my Leatherman in my pack and TSA passed it thru.

Bear, stg58, Tully Mars and 1 other person like this.
  4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Bear and stg58 like this.
  5. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Bear likes this.
  7. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

They auction them off just like the DMRO does, there is one TSA approved leatherman, it doesn't have the blade.

Bear and Motomom34 like this.
  8. RangerRick

RangerRick RangerRick-North Idaho Oath Keeper

If you have a pull top can, use a side can opener on it. When done emptying you cans contents, wash out can, load up your stuff in the can and epoxy the lid back on. When you need something, pop the top and there you go, dry and safe until needed.

Bear and Sapper John like this.
  9. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

can openers are just another one of those everyday usage items we have around the house - that suddenly will become a problem .... because the vast majority of Americans have an electric one sitting on the counter ....

Bear likes this.
  10. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I do product reviews on the side and two days ago got hired to test out a manual can opener. LOL I love free stuff. This new one will make 4 manual can openers now. :D

Bear, Tracy and kellory like this.
  11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I haven't used an electric can opener since I was a kid. And it had an an electric grindstone built in to sharpen kitchen knives. (Nice feature)

Bear likes this.
  12. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

We've gone through a couple of manual can openers in the Gunbunny household. Not all are/were of good quality. You definitely get what you pay for; as a few of them did NOT open cans at all, and a few more only opened about half of the can before they would continue to slip off.

I began to look at the gears now, to see how well they mesh. I can't believe that retailers sell a can opener that BY DESIGN will not cut open a can, but they do. The gears have to mesh under load.

Bear and Sapper John like this.
  13. The Duece

The Duece Monkey

I actually use a manual type can opener like on a knife or the P-38 all the time,there is no other type in our house because i cannot remember to buy one for some reason.....ive been using a p38 for over 2 months now. I keep breaking normal openers!
    Di

Bear likes this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Can opener's? Hell 4 of them are for opening jugs of wine!

I consider that very important !

15. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

One has to keep the Mrs happy...wine is one solution ;)

Bear, Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

The Mrs doesn't drink wine, but I have an ample supply of Lortab laid away:D

Bear and Yard Dart like this.
  17. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have carried a P38 in my wallet for decades. Got it in USAF boot camp. We were supposed to turn them back in after eating our C-rats on Wet Fire day at the range. Some of us didn't. It has served me well. I can zip open a can PDQ. Have several cheapo 'multitools', and tried their can openers. They do work, but much less efficient than the good old P38.
    At home and in the BOB, I keep the regular hand crank opener.

Bear likes this.
  18. D2wing

D2wing Monkey+

Still have a P-38 on my dog tags. They are starched away.

Bear likes this.
  19. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

I have several p51s and 38s..and a good stash of the old openers that you stab in the top of the can and work your way around.Will not fail unless you break the blade off.Usually had a corkscrew in the loop handle,remember? :)

Bear, Sapper John and Yard Dart like this.
  20. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

NOT a nice feature. My wife once used that feature on my favorite Gerber skinning knife. The knife that had seen only ceramic rods for sharpening, and had a pristine edge. When she was done with it, it looked serrated! I bought her a $2 Japan special, and told her "The next time the can opener gets hungry, feed it this!"

Bear, Seawolf1090, Motomom34 and 4 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7