Can Opener's- Do you have a plan?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Feb 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Sorry to hear about your Gerber, clearly she did not know how to use it properly. Even as a kid, I could get razor edges from that rotory stone wheel.

Bear likes this.
  2. The Duece

The Duece Monkey

About a year ago i stripped the gears on our can opener bad ,for some reason i can never remember to buy a new one.....have been using a p-38 that i tied to a string and hung on cupboard door,works fine for me but man does it piss my wife off lol
    D

Bear and Tully Mars like this.
  3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I own no less than 8 or so swiss army knives. All pretty basic ones. 2 knife blades. 2 small utility blades (can opener/sm screwdriver, bottle opener/large screwdriver. These serve me well. I can zip the lid off a can very quickly. In someone else's house, usually faster than they can come up with a piece of crap can opener. One in each of my fishing tackle boxes. One in each vehicle. One usually in my pocket. A few more at house. I do not own an electric can opener, and do not want one. I have at least 3 other manual can openers, and come to think of it at least a dozen p-51s. I'm good.

Bear, Sapper John, Motomom34 and 3 others like this.
  4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

We had one of these in both my grandparents homes and one in my childhood home. Hard to beat. Worked hard for 15 to 20 years plus that I can attest to. This thread post got me looking for one.
    Actually this one looks more like the one we had when I was a kid. Name jumps out there and smacks me up side the head no less, and leaves me saying, ... yup that's the one. Picture details and mounting bracket/pin look real familiar. It has to be the right one. Reviews indicate another old timer remembering this one from 40 years ago.
    Swing-A-Way Wall Mount Can Opener

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    Bear and Motomom34 like this.
  5. kellory

Bear likes this.
  6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Link works fine for me.

7. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

[ditto]

Bear likes this.
  8. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

see the new link

9. kellory

I did.
    One of these will open just about anything , every time, without fail.

[​IMG]

Bear and Motomom34 like this.
  10. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

at what price? The "Swing A Way" Can Opener I have linked is $8. ..... a price even you can live with.

Bear likes this.
  11. kellory

[​IMG]
    This is commercial grade, for restaurant use. They slide down into a bench top socket. I don't know the cost, off hand, because I have never needed to replace one, though I've used them in every pizza shop I've ever worked in.
    (I used to be a crew trainer for godfather's pizza) and a few others.)
    Edit:#1 Can Opener without Base

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    Bear likes this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We use these in the Cannery, when we are PePacking the Dented Cans, into New Cans, before shipment.... Never seen one that broke, and have opened Hundreds of thousands of Cans, over the years... Solid Product.....

Bear and kellory like this.
  13. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Okay, so for the medium duty model without base shown in post 51, or shipping $40. Base available for table mounting (drill holes and bolt it up) another $10. I do not believe I need one that heavy duty at that cost. jmho. I can get 6 of the wall mount swing a ways with free shipping for $61, and pass them out to the tribe. jus sayin'. Some may disagree and go for the more expensive single unit. I understand that also. Different priorities, different final thoughts, we all gotta do what we think right. No argument no problem. The swing a way wall mount will outlive me anyway.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    Bear and oldawg like this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I'm going to stay with portable. .. I don't need one more damn thing on my counter top

Bear, Sapper John and Yard Dart like this.
  15. jimLE

jimLE Monkey+++

i have a regular p38.and the one with a spoon as well.i guess that's the 51 with spoon instead of 38 with a spoon.and i always have both on me at all times..

Bear likes this.
  16. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I got so interested in this topic that I started collecting antique can openers just so I could master their use. There are so many ways to open a can, and there have been so many variations on can opener design and function over the years that I've become quite comfortable with can opening.

The safety concern cannot be stressed enough. A nice slice from a can lid could cause all sorts of complications if you couldn't stitch it and treat for infection. That's why I have plenty of modern, inexpensive and efficient safety can openers that don't leave a sharp edge in the can, or a toothed edge on the lid.

I'm still looking for a cast iron bull's head can opener, but I have several more modern openers that use the same technique to open cans.

From my dump digging childhood memories I can recall finding many old rusted cans that had not been opened anywhere as neatly as can be done with most purpose built can openers. Many had been opened by the old juice can style that punches a triangular hole to pour from. Just keep punching all the way around the lid. Some were not that neat.
    So, if necessary, I know that something with an edge and a simple striking instrument are all that's required to get into a can. Not quick, nor easy, but it'll get the job done.

HD

jimLE, Bear, Ganado and 1 other person like this.
  17. kellory

[​IMG]
    This is not a very clear image, but I've seen this before. Instructions read "to open can, cut around top with hammer and chisel".

And this is likely your bull's head can opener.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    Bear and jimLE like this.
  18. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[​IMG]

Ganado, Tully Mars and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  19. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

You know that you CAN sharpen the P38 and it works a lot better.
    Mine is 1945 vintage and works just fine.
    I must admit though the side cutting can openers are a significant improvement, especially if you have the innovation to know how to reseal the can.
    Those that try, learn something. those that refuse to try, learn nothing.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7