Canned Soup Expiration Your Opinions

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Feb 27, 2020.

1. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

You never eat dried beans,,,you never hung out at grandma's house ?? Soak'em in water for 4-8 hours,,drain water, put in pot with water, salt , fatback and slow boil for 4-6 hours. Practice now,, you'll hate it when you ruined those beans when SHTF.

2. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Get a few good cookbooks, they will come in handy for later. As long as the can has not been compromised it's safe to eat. Do the smell test first.

3. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

All the same, if there are going to be any physical repercussions from it, you need to try it before need. Plus stock rotation is always worth it.

Think green apple quicksteps as an alternate to a full belly.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I eat what I store, and store what I eat. I try any food before stocking up on it.
    With dry beans, they need to soak overnight before cooking, unless you have a pressure cooker.
    Plenty instructions online for rustlin' up a pot of beans.

5. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

With dried beans you get more bang for your buck. A one pound bag of dried beans will feed a family, a can of beans is just garnish on the plate. Dried beans are cheap, last for many years, and are lighter than cans. The only advantage that canned food offers is that you don't need to cook it, just eat it out of the can.

6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

@ED GEiN Be careful if you plan on trading old canned goods or any other food. Once it is known you have food "to spare" hungry people will not likely accept that you have run out of food when it's gone. Keep OPSEC where your stores are concerned, and consider food that won't attract attention due to cooking smells and garbage. People WILL be watching, and in your dense housing it will be difficult to keep what you have.

7. Seawolf1090

Yep, I just stocked away several bags of beans, rice and other food that can store a good while. Plenty canned stuff too.
    I can go a long time without chancing a grocery store. I order some food items via Amazon. More expensive, but much less exposure to genpop. I only see two people regularly - my sister once a week and a neighbor friend every few days. My sister is a retired hospital microbiologist, and keeps up with what's going around. She knows the precautions to take.

8. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Thanks How do they compare in taste with canned beans (Black Beans)? Do they have a longer shelf life? Where fo you buy them? In the Supermarket? For Canned Bean Ortega Beans are the best tasting in my opinion https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005D6E336/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Actually a very good idea Thank You

Seriously I;ve never eaten them out of the can without heating them up in the microwave. I will try this though as an experiment, I do like the idea members of the Forum have put forth about trying everything before SHTF/TEOTWAWKI

So to reiterate, you are not in favor of trading food because that will alert people you have food resources. Does the same apply to everything else as well?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2020
    3M-TA3 likes this.
  9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Man,,, let me tell ya,, you can season those beans up any way you want,, put in onions taters, dumplins,anything you like,, you get the recipe right,, you won't never look at a can of beans the sam way. For me, use pintos or black eyed peas. Whites beans , navy beans, large lima beans. Learn how to make corn bread , or biscuits , a meal all it's own . Put them in a crock pot,,, you'll be ru'int.

10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

In your situation, yes. Too many eyes and no way to hide. Possibly do trades at some point IF approached. Always act like is difficult to part with giving the impression that it's your last or close to it. Never let anyone know you stored it in advance.

"I went out last night and found this near the store that was raided yesterday. Somebody must have dropped it on their way out."

DuxDawg, sec_monkey and chelloveck like this.
  11. Seawolf1090

I often eat baked beans (Bush's is my favorite) and Chef Boy Ardee products straight from the can. All canned food is fully cooked during the canning process.
    Dry beans are found in the bean aisle, along with rice, etc. Plenty of choices. Most dry beans need to be soaked before cooking. But green peas and lentils do not. They can go from the bag into the cook pot, easy-peasy. Basically a simple meal of beans, peas or lentils along with rice gives us all the necessary nutrients we need. But it can get boring, so study up on variety.

12. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

And more, if you have it and for some reason ARE willing to trade, DO NOT DO THE TRADE AT YOUR FRONT DOOR AND DO NOT LET THEM FOLLOW YOU AFTER THE TRADE IS DONE!

DuxDawg, john316, Gator 45/70 and 5 others like this.
  13. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

Also, we rehydrate our beans in a pressure cooker. Just put the beans in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes at 5 lbs. I usually let them go longer (45 minutes to an hour) if I want them softer (if I'm going to refry them or use them in soup).

14. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

@ED GEiN Yup eating staples can get really boring. Keep lots of bouillon cubes on hand to flavor, plus it will provide salt. Hot sauces will help, too. When I used to eat fast food I always grabbed extra sauces to put away for small MRE type kits..

15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

As an everyday precaution to things that usually give gas, I add apple cider vinegar.
    In the event I suspect botulism, that very moment I vomit all that is remaining in my stomach and consume about a half cup of cider vinegar. Like it or not it works.
    Some people while cooking beans add vinegar to the pot and it usually deals with the gas issues ahead of time.
    Dad taught me this little trick, from his recolection old timers caried vinegar as they traveled and saved them selves the misery of food that was questionable.

16. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I read that many cans were made in china and rust inside. I did open some cans that were five years old and the food was mush and I threw it out. I have eaten really old c-rations (thirty years old) but I bet the cans and the methods were better than today's stuff.

17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The expiration date is more of a best by date.
    Plenty of people on youtube eating cans from way back when.
    Hell one of my friends ate a box of cheerios that expired in 1996. He didn't die. Before that it was chicken noodles from the 2000s.

18. 3cyl

3cyl Monkey+++

Last summer I ate a can of Chunky bean and ham dated best use by Dec. 2013.
    Tasted great

19. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I am still eating Grandmas Canned Plums from the 1960s and I am still here :) Expiration dates really are just print on a paper label, they do not replace common sense and the good old smell test.

20. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Ed, if you are living in an apartment building with lots of hungry people the last thing you want to do is cook your food...so that all your neighbors will know by the smell that you have food! Hell, hungry folks a mile away will smell your cooking! Some of your food preps need to be foods that you can eat without cooking. Any dehydrated foods can be eaten without cooking, just add water...they would taste better hot, but you don't want to die for a hot meal. Instant drinks, even coffee, can be consumed cold. All canned foods can be eaten un-cooked straight from the can. Coast Guard ration bars last for years and require no cooking. Some people eat to live, and some people live to eat...which are you?

Seawolf1090 and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7