Can't fix stupid...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by kckndrgn, Feb 6, 2014.

1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Chester County Hospitals See Dozens Of Patients With Carbon Monoxide Poisoning « CBS Philly

I know you can't fix stupid, but hopefully these people will learn from it.

Hmm, every bag of charcoal has warnings bout CO poisoning and not burning charcoal indoors, there's a big hint, NOT to do it.

Every year you hear about people that either get killed or have to be hospitalized for something like this.

At least the one family had a generator, and I would like to hear from them why they thought it was ok to run it in the sun room vs. outside, away from the house.

Yard Dart, tulianr and swampbilly like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

They, likely were afraid if they ran it outside, it would, Grow Legs, and Walk Off.......
    OR, They wanted to recover the Cooling BTUs, inside the House.....

kellory and swampbilly like this.
  3. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

The problem is that you cannot force people not to do stupid things. If they are honest with themselves, not ONE of the people (over the age of 12) who died or got sick could say that they didn't know it was dangerous/deadly, not and be honest. There isn't one person in this country, outside of the back woods, who doesn't know not to do that.

They mention it on the news, they report it on the news after people die, the utility companies send out information in their bills (even if you get free/reduced utilities you get a "bill"), it's on the bag of charcoal AND on the grill (or lantern or stove), it's ALL OVER the generator.

More than stupidity, you can't fix willful ignorance and the deep seated refusal to take responsibility for their actions, period.

I feel badly for the small children in cases like this because they truly are victims. The rest? As Scrooge said, "decrease the surplus population, and do so with all haste!" Chlorine for the gene pool.

4. swampbilly

swampbilly Gone Galt

"Authorities urge residents to not use gas grills or generators inside"

Utterly unbelievable...then again.......

brewmaster1918 likes this.
  5. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

No, you most certainly do not have to force people to do stupid things, they do not need any forcing. They are willing to do stuff like this all on their own. Of course I also view this as people who fail to prepare for the bad weather they have been told is coming.

swampbilly likes this.
  6. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

The appropriate term to use is " Survival of the fittest" Mentally fittest...

7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

You may not be able to fix stupid in others, but...

It's cold comfort, pointing the finger at someone else's stupidity, for being put at risk of CO poisoning, if one hasn't also taken sensible precautions to minimise the risks from another's actions. In a multi occupancy dwelling, CO will flow through the environment in accordance with the laws of physics, and may kill you stone dead as much as the jackass who is using a charcoal grill inside their apartment. A functional CO alarm is cheap insurance against CO poisoning, regardless of who created the hazard.

Fatality 2008-06: Carpet cleaners die of carbon monoxide poisoning

CDC - Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning on Your Boat

http://www.mcsrr.org/graphics/poeposter.jpg from POE: The Tell-Tale Face of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    DarkLight and swampbilly like this.
  8. Dont

Was listening to a home repair program on the radio and they had mentioned how the exhaust from an auto in the garage was able to move from the garage through the rest of the home if the garage was attached to the home.. Even with the door of the garage open..

swampbilly and chelloveck like this.
  9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

it's ok. the idiots will sue the manufacturers anyway. literacy be damned.

swampbilly and brewmaster1918 like this.
  10. Dont

Say's it all!!

Attached Files:

swampbilly and chelloveck like this.
  11. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

However...duct tape IS the force! It's dark on one side and light on the other and holds the universe together.

Duct tape is also the handyman's secret weapon. If the women don't find you handsome, at least they'll find you handy. - Red Green

Duct tape and WD-40 are the only two tools you need. If it moves and it shouldn't, duct tape it. If it doesn't move and it should, WD-40 it.

And lastly, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver!

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...You can't fix stupid (but I'll deal with it if you pack a wallet).

12. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

Is that show still on the air? I haven't seen it in years!

William Warren

13. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Nope, the show went off air in...2005 I believe. 15 seasons. It's still being aired as reruns though. I plan to own the whole series(and the extra ones, including the movie, even though the movie wasn't as good as the show, IMO) on DVD. Already got Hindsight in 20/20 on DVD this month.

14. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Here is another :

Brain cells gone from ??
    In the 50-early 60's W.E.Coyote did dumb stuff , but we knew it was Cartoons
    Sloth

15. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

I don't remember that show, and Google only shows a song or a book on parenting. What's it about?

William Warren

16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I have to believe there was beer in play before it was used to put the fire out ---

kellory likes this.
  17. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Oops that should be Hindsight IS 20/20, not Hindsight IN 20/20. It's a Red Green DVD, kind of a look back on the show from the perspective of the characters, not the actors.

18. ryanzombie

ryanzombie Monkey

Then we need to educate em.. make the warning labels bigger or something..

19. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Naw. Remove all warning labels, and let them test everything for themselves, just like the cave man had to do. It should improve the species, by removing those too stupid to breath.
    I think YouTube is a tool of Darwin. Right now, across the world, and thousands of people trying to videotape themselves doing something cool, unique, or dangerous. There is no other reason for them to something as stupid as "ghost driving" or "Hyway surfing". The slow, the stupid, the uncoordinated, and the unlucky die.

People actually compete for "likes" with their lives in the balance.
    This is clearly Darwin in action. Now, if this was a problem, YouTube would not allow these videos airtime. Therefore, it must be part of a Darwinian mechanism for population explosion and limited resources.

You can't fix stupid, so exploit it.

BTPost and ghrit like this.
  20. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Does this mean I should not use the laptop's webcam to do my own version of the Doomsday Preppers show? Or showing our female cats in heat and our male dog sniffing everyone's butt he can? I just wish they would do their thing where they run full speed into the vacuum, accidentally turn it on, and freak out over that, when I can film it...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7