Cattle and Horse Brands

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HK_User, Sep 13, 2013.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Moved from this thread: Flint and Steel | Page 4 | Survival Monkey Forums to keep Bears thread on track. - melbo

BTW, should any on the list make it to where Bear lives you will se the largest Cattle Brands in the world. They take up the whole left shoulder of Horses. Not something you can cover or change with the Old Rustlers' Running Iron. Must have been a lot of Hoss Stealing around then parts in the old days.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2013
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Very hard to hide that under another brand, but might not that be a bit cruel? To the horse, I mean, not the thief.
    Personally, I wouldn't mine the brand being used on the thief.;)

3. HK_User

Hoss thiefs don't care about cruel. Been more stealing of late so more are getting caught and the price they pay has gone way up in some places.

4. kellory

Horse thief pays with his life, how much more can he pay?;)

5. HK_User

Not so much now, unless he is caught in the act by the Rancher. Courts are a mite easy on those varmints. But I do know a Range Ranger that did a full CSI on some drunk hunters who shot and killed some cattle. Proof from slugs removed ended up costing them full payment for the cattle and the loss of all hunting gear and their vehicles. A tidy sum.

kellory likes this.
  6. kellory

As a lifelong hunter, I would expect no less.

7. HK_User

BTW The shooters paid for the cattle and the off spring they would have had over their lifetime. A cow lost is also seen in the future production of that cow.

kellory likes this.
  8. kellory

Instances such as you cited, are why many farms are now closed to hunters. Add in corporations, able to offer higher fees for corporate perks, and exclusive use, and being bonded and insured. The family hunter is being squeezed out of prime hunting areas. By all means, throw the book at them. There is no excuse for behavior like that.

HK_User likes this.
  9. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

I'm kinda surprised branding is still used, what with microchips these days.

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Easy to sort out who's Cows, are who's, by sight, at distance, on Open Range Federal Land..... same reason Branding was started in the first place....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7